oil change wait time

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

AArdvark

oil change wait time

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am

What's the longest a person should reasonably wait for an oil change?

Remember its 4 degrees outside right now, thats why I'm not doing it myself. That and its a program car, so it's kinda not mine, sort of.

Billy Mays

Re: oil change wait time

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 am

About 15 minutes, anything past 20 and they are using that time to try and figure out ways to fuck you over.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 am

That happened to me at Delta Sonic and Valvoline. Its like they look for stuff to upsell you
Im at the dealer getting an oil change because I can drop it off and beowse nearby shops and stuff. Its all the way across town and they are always busy as bees but its worth it.
At Valvoline they wouldn't let me get out of the car so I ended sitting there for an hour. Here I get coffee and snacks

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 am

Anyway, the projected wait time is three hours today. Cool, I can kick back and chill. Maybe read a chapter of Paul's book, time permitting.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am

AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 am
Maybe read a chapter of Paul's book, time permitting.
I keep both of Paul's books saved on the cloud in the Tdarcos Archive that I'm creating. I figured that it couldn't hurt to back these things up so let me know if you ever need them.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am

Because he'll vanish from the internet universe after the coronary/diabetes/stroke gets him?

Thats kinda touching, actually.

Grabbing all teh videos too?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 am

AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am
Because he'll vanish from the internet universe...?
How many things that have been on the internet do you regret not having any access to anymore?

AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am
Grabbing all teh videos too?
I thought it would be amusing to mirror his entire youtube channel, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 am

This is wait time until they start to look at your car, not wait time after they have it, right?

I remember once waiting 5 hours to get a tire fixed "for free" because the 4 tires that I bought came with a 2-year warranty or something. This was before Uber and Lyft where I could have dropped it off and picked it up whenever. I guess it wasn't before taxis, although that's how terrible taxis were - it never occurred to me to use one in all that time.

Anyway, lessons learned was:

1) Just because they promise you a warranty, it does not mean you are any sort of priority for them if your need to use it once in almost 30 years of driving.
2) There is an awesome method for these shops to screw you over because even when new cars come and get serviced in front of you they can say that they had an appointment
3) They lost a customer for life, but that doesn't matter because none of those people stay at those businesses very long

Damn, this got cynical! Anyway, for an oil change, which is almost pure profit for them, they shouldn't make you wait at all. They should come to your place.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 am
About 15 minutes, anything past 20 and they are using that time to try and figure out ways to fuck you over.
Not necessarily. When I lived in Stafford, VA around 2000 I'd use the Walmart as it was the cheapest place (probably cheaper than I could do it myself), but was so busy the wait was 2 hours. The above comment might be true at a dedicated oil change or repair place.
"We don't try, to understand, the New York Times affect on man."
- The Bee Gees, Night Fever

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 pm

What kinda car did you drive, Commander?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Not every car, just the oil change at Walmart car

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Did you have to get the hydraulics changed in the chair? <-- not an attack, honest question.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 pm

That chair has hydraulics?

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 am

AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am
What's the longest a person should reasonably wait for an oil change?
The place we use for oil changes, Palms Oil and Lube (which in retrospect sounds gross), has three garage bays. There's very rarely a line, so we wait 0 minutes. If there happens to be a line, we go do something else and circle around later.

Oil changes at Palms Oil and Lube are $10 higher than Walmart. When I pull into the bay, I get to stay inside my car. That's a plus in my book. While the guy down in the pit starts draining my oil, the guy above asks me what kind of oil my car uses. I tell him a number and he tells me I'm wrong. That same guy gets the mileage from my odometer, adds 3,000 to that number, and writes it on a sticker that's supposed to remind me when to come back. I peel the sticker off before I leave because my car tells me when it's time to get an oil change. Finally the manager comes over and tells me it's time for a new oil filter. I tell him I got a new one last time. Then we wink at each other.

While fresh oil is going back in, the guy up top offers everyone inside the car free drinks (cans of soda of bottles of water). My kids love visiting the oil change place. Children are easily bribed.

The entire process takes about ten minutes. When we are done, the manager slips us an $8 token for the car wash next door. It's a fancy car wash, with rainbow spray and hot wax. As the water jets spray away the layers of dirt, I lean back my seat, sip on my free bottle of water, and watch multicolored bubbles dance around on top of the sunroof. I am easily bribed, too.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 am

Dammit! Why aren't there any good oil change places like that around here? Or if there are, why don't they leave flyers in my mailbox?

THE
LEAVE ME A COUPLE TWENTIES
WHILE THEY'RE AT IT
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 pm

The worst place is Pep Boys. We went there once and while the truck was up on the rack they found 500 things wrong with it and wanted to fix each one. How you can determine my brakes need rotating and my wheels are out of alignment by changing the oil is beyond me. Also, they do not offer me free drinks or car wash tokens.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 pm
What kinda car did you drive, Commander?
Several.
AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Not every car, just the oil change at Walmart car
Hard to say. During the time I lived in Stafford, VA about 3 miles from the Walmart, I owned a Geo Prism (technically owned by my brother-in-law), a Taurus SHO, a Ford which I don't remember the model, a Lincoln Town Car, and a Chrysler Intrepid.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm
Did you have to get the hydraulics changed in the chair? <-- not an attack, honest question.
AArdvark wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 pm
That chair has hydraulics?
You only have hydraulics on a device that has something that moves where the hydraulics either move the item (like a piston elevator) or assist movement (like automobile power steering). All adjustable parts on my wheelchair are fixed position held by screw rods. The motor moving the chair is electric, it uses two truck batteries (to get 24v) mounted under the seat. The batteries are sealed AGM (advanced glass mat) which uses typical lead plates with the acid stored in a fiber mat rather than simply liquid, which means they are no maintenance.
"We don't try, to understand, the New York Times affect on man."
- The Bee Gees, Night Fever

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 am

I have 2 buddies from high school that own their own shops now, so I just take my vehicle to one of them. Both of them do great work. One of them is more expensive than the other but the one that's a little higher often just does stuff for me for free like if I need a tire plugged.

It seems the more "commercial" places are the worst. One of them straight up cut a battery wire to my girlfriends vehicle and then she started listening to me and going to my friends shops. Oddly with Pep Boys I had on OK experience taking the Prelude to them asking specifically for an alignment job. However, that was like 17 years ago.

One thing I've found too.. never take your car in for an oil change before lunch time if you can avoid it. EVERYONE else is trying to get there early and you can generally get in and out of a place much faster around 2:30 in the afternoon. Wait time is usually roughly 15 minutes from start to finish.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Them oil changes, they're a crazy thing.