Why doesn't Batman...

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Dunno, but Jezebel is the absolute dumbest website on the planet right now. It's desperate click bait and race baiting with a grand helping of social justice morons.
Believe you just described the entire Gawker network of sites.

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

BTW.

The issue of Harley Quinn that featured the art of the winner of that contest came out. It of course didn't feature the "naked in a bathtub" scene anymore. But what I found the most amusing was that the guy who won was already a professional comic book artist. He used to draw the IDW GI Joe and Transformer books. So was this a contest to find new talent or a way to get cheap publicity for somebody they were already hiring?

I'm calling shenanigans. SHENANIGANS!!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Re: Why doesn't Batman...

Post by AArdvark »

Cord Jefferson, the writer of Watchmen Episode 6 wrote:
In thinking about this character, and thinking about this episode, I’d been thinking about how ridiculous the idea of Batman is — the idea of a straight, white, billionaire man not being able to get justice through traditional means and needing to put on a costume. That’s absurd, because rich, straight, white men will get justice however they want it. They can buy courts, they can buy police forces, they can buy presidencies. The idea that a billionaire white man is going to be stuck seeking justice on the street because he can’t obtain it elsewhere is absurd. So Captain Metropolis is a good stand-in for Batman here.

You know, he's right. Bruce Wayne could seriously make use of back channels instead of going the caped crusader route.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm
You know, he's right. Bruce Wayne could seriously make use of back channels instead of going the caped crusader route.
I never thought about it eiyjer. With the kind of money Bruce Wayne has, he could hire all the bouncers, bullies and bastards there are to beat, brutalize and bloody every punk, perp, and politician to quit practicing their trade in his town or get out of town.

As they pointed out in The Dark Knight, all it takes to get rid of someone is to bust them for anything - even a trumped-up charge - give them a bad reputation, then have them sent to the county jail.

So considering there are professionals who like this sort of thing¹ and he can pay them to do his dirty work for, what to him is pocket change, but to them is top-dollar, it makes more sense for him to be doing things to make more money rather than wasting his time as an amateur vigilante.

- - - -
¹ "This is the resume of a professional mercenary."
- John McClane, Die Hard 2
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

What about the fact they showed the cops as being dirty and on the take from major criminal organizations who presumably have not only money but lots of muscle? The good cops and criminal justice folks are hamstrung by having to actually follow rules and look over their back for double cross from their own ranks. Don't think the joker and penguin care about being sued in court. Hell, where would you serve the papers?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm Cord Jefferson, the writer of Watchmen Episode 6 wrote:
In thinking about this character, and thinking about this episode, I’d been thinking about how ridiculous the idea of Batman is — the idea of a straight, white, billionaire man not being able to get justice through traditional means and needing to put on a costume. That’s absurd, because rich, straight, white men will get justice however they want it. They can buy courts, they can buy police forces, they can buy presidencies. The idea that a billionaire white man is going to be stuck seeking justice on the street because he can’t obtain it elsewhere is absurd. So Captain Metropolis is a good stand-in for Batman here.
This is a bad take.

Bruce didn't see his parents get gunned down at the age of 8 and then instantly shunt forward in time to when he was 25 and able to take advantage of the advantages these (fucking) WHITE MALES get. He got to be scared, angry and filled with rage at the age of 8. And 9. And 10. And so forth.

It's all fictional, so this is dumb, but a kid reacting to the unsolved double homicide of his parents by being permanently apoplectic is the most believable thing in the genre.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The last Watchmen show I watched was episode 5 and it is one of the ten best individual hours of television I've ever seen in my life. It's a good show.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I feel like the Commander, trying to impinge a reality on something like a comic book character, but this topic has got me thinking. Batman doesn't want to solve the problem of the Joker and other villains, if he really wanted to bring a solution to the table he would kill them straight off. He's trying to bring them to justice, which is merely moving the problem(s) over to society at large. Clearly the villains are never going to be be rehabilitated, Batman must know this, and yet he continues to to use non lethal tactics against them. So it's more of a hobby of his, this vigilante business. When the villains get loose (yet again) Batman can sleep better at night knowing he's got job security ahead of him.

THE
AND IT SELLS
COMIC BOOKS
AARDVARK