Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Calling ahead doesn't mean anything. Flack did the ultimate in calling ahead. He looked at the website. The website said that they had 22(!!) of the thing he wanted. Twenty-two! You could have given one to every single starting player player on the field of the December 2nd, 2007 game between the Washington Redskins and the Buffalo Bills and had one left over.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm
Flack wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:32 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:30 am
I always call the store and make them verify.
Yeah but those of us with jobs ain't got time for that.
cute. Actually I have 3 clients so that's like 3 jobs now, I'm like a Mexican these days but calling ahead has been my SOP for decades ever since my wife started making me do da errands.

The commander correctly pointed out the time value of calling ahead, especially since they could even hold one for you. My bet is you prefer the time in your truck, maybe away from the fam.

Incorrect and fucking stupid.

(I would have been here earlier yelling at people but I’ve been TOO BUSY)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm Calling ahead doesn't mean anything. Flack did the ultimate in calling ahead. He looked at the website. The website said that they had 22(!!) of the thing he wanted. Twenty-two! You could have given one to every single starting player player on the field of the December 2nd, 2007 game between the Washington Redskins and the Buffalo Bills and had one left over.
Are you serious? You work with the kind of useless shitheads that set up these inventory to website integrations. Christ, this an entire thread about comp-ee pieces of shit. I don't care if I'm collecting a fat federal salary, 5 min on the phone beats 10 min (much more 3+ hours) in the car workday or no. Either Flack prefers driving in his truck on a wild goose chase (that's it) or he's wrong about this aspect of time management. I don't drive 20 miles into Seattle without asking a human being to visually verify and maybe hold for me. I can't trust Google not to map me into a dead end, nor do I trust anything from web portals

pinback

Post by pinback »

CO's time is extremely valuable, can't you people understand that?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

pinback wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 pm CO's time is extremely valuable, can't you people understand that?
Need more time for drinking. Phone calls drunk = ok, drunk driving=thousands of dollars.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The whole point of the internet is NOT to actually talk to other humans by voice

Ice Cream Jonsey

CO, you think if you call Ikea, some minimum wage employee is running the entire length of the store and counting the number of MAXIMILLIANS they have? You think that? Or are they going to look at their website?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, I called Ikea and recorded all my interactions with their staff and put it on Youtube:

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm
Flack wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:32 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:30 am
I always call the store and make them verify.
Yeah but those of us with jobs ain't got time for that.
cute. Actually I have 3 clients so that's like 3 jobs now, I'm like a Mexican these days but calling ahead has been my SOP for decades ever since my wife started making me do da errands.

The commander correctly pointed out the time value of calling ahead, especially since they could even hold one for you. My bet is you prefer the time in your truck, maybe away from the fam.
My "fam" went on the trip with me. We're not throwing remotes at TVs like animals over here.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

"Hello, Kroger? CO here. Do you have 12 eggs, a half gallon of 2% milk, a six-pack of Goose Island IPA, and a loaf of rye bread? Yes, you do? I mean, did you look, or are you just guessing? Well, can you go look please? I'm not driving over there unless you can check right now to see if you have all of those things. This is my SOP."

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm I wish that Github didn't require personal access tokens on machines to use git on the command line. Username and passwords were fine. Since they made it so you have to generate a personal access token to, you know, use git on a command line I wish the Github UI detected when you tried to use your password and then, when you went to Github, gave you ample instructions on how to generate a personal access token that you can use to do your job. Oh and I'd say these tokens are less secure because they are generated. If I want to use Github on a different computer I have to get that token over to the computer somehow and I am sure not going to type it in someplace. Also, if they are going to make this change, I wish that they asked for a username and PERSONAL ACCESS TOKEN on the command line, not a username and a password WHEN THEY KNOW the password won't work. Github's implementation here is incredibly stupid.
It HAS been a while but what I recall is generating an ssh keypair, putting it in my profile, and enjoying passwordless cli forever. Did they change that?! You'd have to use the ssh clone link and not the https one, but really...

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm Calling ahead doesn't mean anything.
Oh really? You go get the manager, and show him on your phone where his store's website says they have 22, and it's empty, and say, "First, [name of employee who checked] told me this item was in stock because he said he checked. I drove almost 300 miles to get here. You should be glad I don't live in this state. This is Texas, these people are armed, and they don't like people who lie to them. You pull this kind of shit on one of them, he or she is liable to shoot you, and the other guy." Then storm off.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:12 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm Calling ahead doesn't mean anything.
Oh really? You go get the manager, and show him on your phone where his store's website says they have 22, and it's empty, and say, "First, [name of employee who checked] told me this item was in stock because he said he checked. I drove almost 300 miles to get here. You should be glad I don't live in this state. This is Texas, these people are armed, and they don't like people who lie to them. You pull this kind of shit on one of them, he or she is liable to shoot you, and the other guy." Then storm off.
You get the manager? You think the manager knows what's going on? Haven't you ever worked anywhere before?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:09 pm You get the manager? You think the manager knows what's going on? Haven't you ever worked anywhere before?
Of course, he doesn't! That's the point. If the employee didn't say, or said they can't check, that would be one thing. You point out to them that their employees are lying, in ways that get customers mad. Lying in a way that the customers can easily check will cause a lot of bad feelings. One customer, who complains or complements them, represents a large number of people who feel the same way. Criticism is taken very seriously, because there might be anywhere from 200-1000 people who say nothing, but won't shop there again.

Why do you think IKEA tried so hard to get Flack to be quiet? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but IKEA HQ poured water on the already rusted wheel. Flack needs to make this an even louder squeak.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Criticism is taken very seriously
You've never worked in retail, have you

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:45 am "Hello, Kroger? CO here. Do you have 12 eggs, a half gallon of 2% milk, a six-pack of Goose Island IPA, and a loaf of rye bread? Yes, you do? I mean, did you look, or are you just guessing? Well, can you go look please? I'm not driving over there unless you can check right now to see if you have all of those things. This is my SOP."
Everyone has eggs and milk you putz. There are lots of things that get out of stock and you need to go to a different store, I'd rather not do that by driving unless I have to:
co before he bothers driving somewhere wrote: Hello Safeway #1, do you have Reeds Extra Strong Ginger Beer in stock? No? Ok, thanks.
Hello Safeway #2, do you have Reeds Ginger Strong Ginger Beer in stock? Yes, great. Oh do you have any Hefeweizen in stock because IPA's fucking suck and taste like tree sap? Great.

pinback

Post by pinback »

co before he bothers driving somewhere wrote: Oh do you have any Hefeweizen in stock because IPA's fucking suck and taste like tree sap? Great.
"Which reminds me, do you have any of those Tide stain sticks, in case I spill the hefe on my dress?"

Ohhhhh, got 'em.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:22 pm
Criticism is taken very seriously
You've never worked in retail, have you
I'm not talking about at store level, I'm talking about at corporate. Every brick-and-mortar retailer C-Suite level management knows - or they will learn when Amazon drives them into Chapter 11 - that you ignore customer complaints at your own peril. With the possible exception of stores that compete on price by being more efficient, like Aldi or Walmart, every retailer is threatened by Amazon. You have to do better, or customers will say, "If I have to spend a little more to get it without the rude and condescending unhelpful salespeople, plus get it delivered, so I don't have to drive to the mall and find a parking place, I'll take it." Customers are the life-blood of every business. You have now bled that customer, and when you hemorrhage enough customers, you become anemic (Chapter 11) and you hope to get an infusion, or you die (Chapter 13).

Flack

Post by Flack »

Armed with Paul's advice I went back to the store and demanded better service. Unfortunately they simply threw meatballs at me from the roof and said I smelled of elderberries.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:47 pm
pinback wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:45 am "Hello, Kroger? CO here. Do you have 12 eggs, a half gallon of 2% milk, a six-pack of Goose Island IPA, and a loaf of rye bread? Yes, you do? I mean, did you look, or are you just guessing? Well, can you go look please? I'm not driving over there unless you can check right now to see if you have all of those things. This is my SOP."
Everyone has eggs and milk you putz. There are lots of things that get out of stock and you need to go to a different store, I'd rather not do that by driving unless I have to:
co before he bothers driving somewhere wrote: Hello Safeway #1, do you have Reeds Extra Strong Ginger Beer in stock? No? Ok, thanks.
Hello Safeway #2, do you have Reeds Ginger Strong Ginger Beer in stock? Yes, great. Oh do you have any Hefeweizen in stock because IPA's fucking suck and taste like tree sap? Great.
I absolutely refuse to believe that you are taking up the time of these poor retail workers by calling, getting someone, asking if they have Ginger Beer in stock and getting an answer because someone checked. That is not the same reality I live in.