The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

That was the best anything in Star Wars since many other Mandalorian episodes. I loved it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Production has begin on season three of The Mandalorian, but it won't air until December 2021. The Mandalorian will be a separate show from the Boba Fett show, which is also slated for December, 2021. Ahsoka is also getting her on spin off, and there are (I believe) a total of six Star Wars shows coming. So it seems the Mandalorian will continue with this new story about who will lead the Mandalorians and what are they gonna do with Moff Gideon, and the Boba Fett thing may be a mini-series but having the baddest bounty hunter in the history of the universe taking over the Hutt's criminal empire should be interesting.

Everybody got bummed yesterday when they put two and two together and realized that Grogu will most likely get slaughtered by Ben Solo at Luke's Jedi Holiday Camp as told in Episode 9.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

hey that was the guy from the movie
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think that the billions Disney is making off Baby Yoda is gonna ride up against some throwaway lines from the sequels, in fact, my prediction is that they flat out ignore it and never address it.

But I also don't think they will show a teenage Baby Yoda in our lifetimes.

Noah NLB

Post by Noah NLB »

Season 2 Episode 8 of The Mandalorian was...

I have absolutely no opinion on the content itself: the story, pacing, dramatic moments, acting, that isn't in any way what I will be discussing tonight. What I will be pointing out, is how bloody awful, openly offensive, and patronizing to the audience, the three "Showcase" fight scenes in the episode were. The first is the duke out between Mando himself and a Dark Trooper, let me fire up the ol' err... Disney+ so I may scrutinize the spear work of our Badass Friend.

Please do note, I will consider A Fight commencing upon the first distinct attack of the scene, for our Dark Trooper Escapade, this entails when the aforementioned mechanical monstrosity sucker punches Mando right in the Beskar.

- First shot between the enclosing blast doors: punch right to the helmet. We haven't hit the actual part of combat where style, movement, grace, and skill comes into play (though this punch is the equivelant to a pommel to the face,) but it is worth noting that Mando's head would have either been torn asunder from his neck, or the force (not, The Force) of the attack would have dissipated and caused him to do a backward nose dive, and hit the ground exactly where he was standing. This can be forgiven as a regular "okay, you're saying the Hero of the entire series should be dead?" complaint.

- Mr. Mechanical Mayhem grabs and twists his arm: his elbow should have cracked at that much pressure being placed on it, and the arm itself flaying around with his... Arm bone? Tibia? Fibula? Whatever sticking out. Once again, we shall let it pass.

- The Dark Trooper (DT) squeezes Mando's neck, then uses his head as a reverse punch cookie cutter for the metal wall. The series of concussions should have done him in, as well as having his throat crushed, but these are Dark Side, Imperial Death Machines, so having fun is likely in their programming. Once again, EXCUSED.

- Let us ignore how the DTs take a monstrous amount of time to break reinforced... Magic Plexiglass while being able to jackhammer through blast doors later in the episode. IGNORE.

- Flame thrower to the innards of Mr. DT ~ I was expecting this to be the end, the saving grace for our indulgent anti-hero, but the fact it wasn't is a positive thought.

- Just in time leg grab by the DT to remove a far too quick completion to this segment. Won't point anything out because you know the drill by now.

- Down kick to the ribcage, supposedly deflected by the Beskar. Right. The DT's foot should have pushed the Beskar breast plate right into his Beskar back plate, leaving a bloody, and lumpy mess of an impression in the floor. Once again, MOVIE MAGIK.

- DT fires his blaster at Mr. "I'm wearing pure Beskar." Going for the Storm Trooper tactics here abouts I take it.

- Needle missiles. Love these little Beksar NEEDLES O' DEATH. Glad they pushed that SoB around a bit.

- Breaking this scene down step by step, Mando twirls around to retrieve his spear which showcases an issue or two:

1. He never actually leans over to grab it from the floor.
2. This thing is rounded metal, that ain't gonna have a good grip, so he'd have to struggle prying it off the deck. short of magnetic gloves or attraction or magic!

- The Beskar spear to the weak point in the neck is the best attack (motion and technique wise) in this entire episode, because it appears (though it isn't confirmed from a wide shot) that he had braced the spear against the floor, the DT falling on it to impale itself. Good show, goodshow.

---------------------------

pinback

Post by pinback »

Hey, Retro's back!

Flack

Post by Flack »

At the beginning of the episode I was a little confused as to why Boba Fett didn't join in on the attack. I get that he was in his ship and not the other, but we've established the Mandalorians can fly around in space. He could have easily docked outside the Moff's ship and rocketed into the landing bay. It didn't hit me until halfway through the ending that OH YEAH that might have been awkward to have Luke and Fett in the same room. The two of them didn't exactly part on good terms five years earlier on Jabba's skiff.

And, not for nothing, Fett sure has been working on his fighting skills over the past five years while wandering around the desert looking for his armor. Doesn't it seem like current Boba would have wiped the skiff up with Luke and his pals in Jedi?

Noah NLB

Post by Noah NLB »

Flack wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:38 amIt didn't hit me until halfway through the ending that OH YEAH that might have been awkward to have Luke and Fett in the same room. The two of them didn't exactly part on good terms five years earlier on Jabba's skiff.
Jon Favreau is an atrocious writer, though he is an OKAY director, but it isn't surprising to me that he took the easiest and blandest road with developing Boba Fett as a character. Every major sequence in The Mandalorian has been televised (har har) long before it happened in the simplest way possible (like how it became dead obvious there would be an asinine reason for Mando to take off his helmet a couple episodes back,) so having Luke and Mr. Fett have to come to terms, just wouldn't fit in with Favreau's style of 2D foreshadowing and character development.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Just making sure everyone saw the post-end-credits scene in S2E8. This seems like a crowd that might have some folks in it who yank the thing off as soon as the credits start rolling. Or watch it with the sound off.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"Appearing on Good Morning America on Monday, the showrunner and director explained that The Book of Boba Fett will indeed be a stand-alone spin-off series — not some sort of replacement for The Mandalorian season 3, even though both titles will premiere December 2021."

Everybody in the world is excited about this except for one person.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What! I haven't seen or heard any of this show. I don't watch tv

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay two people.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Noah NLB wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:47 am Jon Favreau is an atrocious writer
Can you give us some examples of his "atrocious" writing? I think we would all appreciate the perspective.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Halfway through this glass of vodka, I decided I would not appreciate the perspective.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ok, last episode quibble: how does Cara's laser rifle "jam". Laser rifles could run out of power, break, need to re-boot, but how can it "jam"?

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's the gun equivalent of the smirk.

Noah NLB

Post by Noah NLB »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:19 pm
Noah NLB wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:47 am Jon Favreau is an atrocious writer
Can you give us some examples of his "atrocious" writing? I think we would all appreciate the perspective.

One of the milder examples is how the moment Baby Yoda appears, the personality of her entire character goes out the window and instead she reverts to a "lovable ragamuffin." Her fawning and direct coddling of Baby Yoda, is a pretty blatant example of a character being a shell and stand in so that the audience can use her as wish fulfillment in how they'd interact with the little doll in exactly the same way.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wasn't she motherly towards Mando right from the start?

Isn't the only anythings she is non-motherly to droids, which is so widespread and prevalent in Star Wars that we saw them coldly get kicked out of a bar 10 minutes into the very first movie?

Noah NLB

Post by Noah NLB »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 am Isn't the only anythings she is non-motherly to droids, which is so widespread and prevalent in Star Wars that we saw them coldly get kicked out of a bar 10 minutes into the very first movie?
I always assumed they kicked out C3-PO and R2D-2, because it was blatantly obvious who was the Top in that relationship.