And all is right with the world

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

And all is right with the world

Post by Tdarcos »

I've been worried for quite a while - several months - that I was going to lose one of my precious credit cards. I have one from Chase, I used it to charge an $80 charge by mistake, I don't normally use it, it has a $2,000 limit and I save it for serious emergencies. I'll never have good enough credit to get a (decent) credit card again for probably a long time.

By "decent" credit I do not mean cards from bottom fishers like First Premiere Bank or Credit One Bank (not to be confused with Capital One, although Credit One designs their logo suspiciously to look like Capital One). a decent credit card has no annual fee, might have some reasonable credit limit, say at least $1,000, and maybe perks like cash back.

Goniffs like First Premeire offer a $700 credit limit, and the card is so larded with fees, that is reduced by about $200.00. I shit you not: $95 application fee, $75 first year fee, and some other fee I can't remember but it states your credit limit will be reduced by the amount of the fees until you pay them leaving you with about a $500 credit line. Banks like these used to offer cards with a $300 limit until they ate all the low hanging fruit and I guess nobody would pay $90 for a card with less than $300 left.

Anyway, ordinarily i don't use my Chase card as I have a card from Citibank that I normally use because it's a "Double Cash" card; 1% cash back on charges and 1% back when you pay the bill; in fact, this is the card I use to pay my room bill here as it gives me an extra $26 in cashback each month. It's already set up so that I can just have them withdraw payments i authorize from my share draft (checking) account at my credit union, plus I have automatic payment, if something goes wrong and I am unable or forget to pay my bill Citi automatically charges my credit union checking account for the minimum monthly balance, preventing any late charge.

Unfortunately I did not have my checking account registered with Chase, and for security reasons Citibank never shows you anything but the last 4 digits of the checking account number, so I can't get it from them.

Oh well, I can just look at my checks, only those are from a bank where the account was closed. My credit union uses what is called a "master account number" that is private to me; this is the number that appears on my statement. Let's say the master account number was 234567. The share account (savings) would habe a public number if used for direct deposit, let's say it was 432001. Internally it would be 234567-00. my checking account number on checks might be 333222 but internally it was 234567-10.

For security reasons the credit union won't give out account numbers over the phone. To ask for anything I'd have to write them a letter with a photocopy of my driver's license, and getting anything like that done around here is like pulling teeth.

So I'm thinking I'm going to lose my Chase credit card over a lousy $80 bill that I have more than enough money to pay it. Then I remember: my credit union has a mobile app, and unusual for this, the mobile app has a feature the website does not. The mobile app does show you the routing number and account number. So I'm able to get it to work, I get the number, after reauthnticating myself to Chase, I'm able to add my credit union as a funding source, and I can pay the bill, which is now $127 from late fees. But at least I won't lose my card now.

And all is right with the world.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

bryanb

Re: And all is right with the world

Post by bryanb »

That sucks that you had to pay late fees, but I'm glad you got it figured out. Did you try talking to anyone at Chase to see if the fees could be forgiven? Chase does have a reputation for being greedy bastards, but I was able to get Discover to forgive my mom's late fee when she forgot when her bill was due. That was the first time in her many decades of using credit cards that she didn't pay her bill on time.

It's generally a good idea to use every credit card you want to keep at least semi-regularly. Issuers do close cards that aren't being used from time to time.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:14 amFor security reasons the credit union won't give out account numbers over the phone. To ask for anything I'd have to write them a letter with a photocopy of my driver's license, and getting anything like that done around here is like pulling teeth.
I don't believe you that you can't get your checking and routing number from your financial institution. You either don't know how to access that infrmation or haven't asked the right person the right way.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Routing number I can get; they even display it on their website. But because there is no real way to authenticate people over the phone, information requests must be in writing, or using an authenticated method such as your login credntials,
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

No website commander? You need a better bank.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm No website commander? You need a better bank.
What do you mean "no website"? I just said that getting my credit union's routing number is no problem, they even show it on their website.

The exact quote is "Routing number I can get; they even display it on their website."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

If Paul says his bank has a website then we should take him at his word. Bottom line.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:49 pm If Paul says his bank has a website then we should take him at his word. Bottom line.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM