Stupid election shit

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Stupid election shit

Post by Tdarcos »

On one of the way too frequent advertisements occurring on YouTube videos, there was one for Donald Trump. It asked if I supported him, or would vote for him, or agreed with him, I don't remember exactly but it obviously was trying to collect those who are favorable toward him.

Well, I figure, if i click on the ad it costs them more money than just the ad showing, the way Adsense videos on websites pay (or pay more) when clicked on. So, I click on "no" and submit.

The stupid fuckin' morons, instead of saying 'thank you for your vote" have the goddam nerve to then ask me to make a contribution to the Trump campaign after I just said I did not support him! The stupid sons-a-bitches never cared what i picked.

I have access to a credit card belonging to a friend that has about a $7,000 limit. If I contributed that to them, that would have, at 2.9%, merchant fees of about $200, then file a chargeback a few days later, costing them $225 - the $6,800 they actually were paid and the $200 merchant fee the processor keeps, plus the $25 chargeback fee - for wasting my time.

But that might get noticed, better to just chargeback a $10 donation for a $25 fine. Not as satisfying but less likely to cause trouble.

Note that I didn't actually do it, I just thought about it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Re: Stupid election shit

Post by Tdarcos »

Let's go back to 2009...

I've just been evicted from my room because the landlord didn't pay his mortgage, I got put into a homeless shelter and lost almost everything I own.

The homeless shelter is

Prince George's House
603 S. Addison Road,
Capital Heights, MD

It's about 4 blocks from the Addison Road Metrorail Station, and is owned by Prince George's County. Well, since I did not know how long I might be stuck there, I filed a change of address with the county Board of Elections.

I get I think a message on voice mail since for obvious reasons I don't think they mailed it or if they had it would have gone to my old address and was forwarded.

Seems that according to the Prince George's County Board of Elections, the address "603 S. Addison Road" does not exist. Not that they think it's not residential, but that no such address exists. Notwithstanding the fact i'd been sleeping there every night for several days and got mail forwarded there, the place does not exist. Even though it is owned by the county.

I guess I was probably the only person who ever registered to vote from there. The issue did get fixed later but I found it very amusing that the county election board thinks a county-owned building doesn't exist.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Who ya voting for, Commander?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Now, let's come back to today, again.

A few weeks ago I register to vote in Virginia, since I obviously can't make it to the polls in Maryland (I can't make it to the polls in Virginia even though the polling place here is literally 3 blocks away, but that's beside the point.) Since i obviously can't vote in person, I register for absentee ballot. And I either gave it to the person who handed them out to us or I had mailed it in or did it on-line, I don't remember.

So, anyway, what I do remember is I'm mailed my voter registration card for Virginia a short while ago.

Today I got another piece of election mail; I'm thinking that maybe they're sending out absentee ballots early because of concerns about the Postal Service.

Nope, it's a notice from the Arlington County board of elections. My request for an absentee ballot has been denied. The reason?
"You are ineligible to vote absentee because you are not registered to vote in Virginia."

Included were a voter registration and an application for absentee ballot.

As it happens, while i have saved lots of other papers, some including the empty, opened envelopes mail came in, i.e. trash, I did not save my voter registration card. Aww fuck! I gotta fill out the goddam paperwork again, which requires using a magnifying lens. So I do, then I need to find the address of the county Election Board. So I have to go on line to the address it gives me, http://www.elections.virginia.gov/locations , which returns a 404 error. Maybe I read it wrong and it's http://www.elections.virginia.gov/location only that also returns a 404 error. I try going to the registration page, then I rediscover (I had forgotten) that I can register on-line. It also has a component allowing me to check on the status of my registration.

Okay, supply my information and check the box indicating I understand either it's my own record or it's illegal to look at someone else's record except by permission. And it comes up! Correct address, has a voter number, registration effective August 4, and approved for absentee ballot.

But the letter I got is dated August 17. Which is right? So I decide to call. After, surprisingly enough, a not-really-long wait, I get someone in the county Election Board, and he looks me up. Yep, I am registered. The letter was in error, i guess.
Last edited by Tdarcos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:55 pm Who ya voting for, Commander?
Well, of course I'm voting for Trump, whom do you think I would vote for?

All kidding aside, suffice to say I wouldn't vote for him if he could guarantee I could get up and walk out of this place. Strike that, in that case I would, but under normal circumstances I wouldn't vote for him even if it meant I'd lose one of my arms too. Strike that, if that was the threat I would. But seriously, I'd have to be reduced to the intellectual capacity of a mongoloid idiot to vote for him.

As for whom I'm going to vote for, that's for me to know and you not to find out. Other than that you do know of someone whom I am not voting for.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

He's afraid to share who he's voting for because of how open minded everyone here is.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

he's exercising his right for a secret ballot. It's good to see him tone up.

since the only real choices are 45 or Biden I'm guessing the latter.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:41 pm He's afraid to share who he's voting for because of how open minded everyone here is.
Nope, 'Vark has it right. (See below.)
AArdvark wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 am he's exercising his right for a secret ballot. It's good to see him tone up.
That's exactly why. People have fought and died to grant us the privilege of the ballot box. And more than that, the ability to vote in secret.

And the thing is, the US didn't even invent the secret ballot. In some parts of New England, they still have a town meeting where everyone registered to vote can show up, and the town decides the matter. Oh not by a board of selectmen or town council doing so; the entire town votes by raising a hand for "yay" or "nay" and they decide. When elections were in cities having too many people to vote that way, they'd have people write down how they were voting. You actually brought your own ballot with you. Vote-buying was easy, and common, in many cases whoever bought your vote would have someone "help" you fill it out.

When i was an election judge in Maryland, we had strict rules about someone getting "help." You are permitted too have one or two people with you in the voting booth if they are under 18 years of age. Nothing special, presumably someone voting doesn't have to leave their child alone. In fact, we'd give kids their own "I voted" sticker just like their parent got one. Now, if the person helping you is over 18, they have to sign a form in which they agree they will not choose how you will vote, and they are not a representative of a candidate, a party, a union or the person's employer.

I'll give you a hint where we imported it from. The idea of a secret ballot is called the "Australian ballot."

AArdvark wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 am since the only real choices are 45 or Biden I'm guessing the latter.
Whom is 45? Is that someone like Fourteen from Donovan's Mellow Yellow or Thirteen from House?

But again, as for whom I'm voting for? I'm not telling.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Now, let's come back to today, again.

A few weeks ago I register to vote in Virginia, since I obviously can't make it to the polls in Maryland (I can't make it to the polls in Virginia even though the polling place here is literally 3 blocks away, but that's beside the point.) Since i obviously can't vote in person, I register for absentee ballot. And I either gave it to the person who handed them out to us or I had mailed it in or did it on-line, I don't remember.

So, anyway, what I do remember is I'm mailed my voter registration card for Virginia a short while ago.

Today I got another piece of election mail; I'm thinking that maybe they're sending out absentee ballots early because of concerns about the Postal Service.

Nope, it's a notice from the Arlington County board of elections. My request for an absentee ballot has been denied. The reason?
"You are ineligible to vote absentee because you are not registered to vote in Virginia."

Included were a voter registration and an application for absentee ballot.

As it happens, while i have saved lots of other papers, some including the empty, opened envelopes mail came in, i.e. trash, I did not save my voter registration card. Aww fuck! I gotta fill out the goddam paperwork again, which requires using a magnifying lens. So I do, then I need to find the address of the county Election Board. So I have to go on line to the address it gives me, http://www.elections.virginia.gov/locations , which returns a 404 error. Maybe I read it wrong and it's http://www.elections.virginia.gov/location only that also returns a 404 error. I try going to the registration page, then I rediscover (I had forgotten) that I can register on-line. It also has a component allowing me to check on the status of my registration.

Okay, supply my information and check the box indicating I understand either it's my own record or it's illegal to look at someone else's record except by permission. And it comes up! Correct address, has a voter number, registration effective August 4, and approved for absentee ballot.

But the letter I got is dated August 17. Which is right? So I decide to call. After, surprisingly enough, a not-really-long wait, I get someone in the county Election Board, and he looks me up. Yep, I am registered. The letter was in error, i guess.
Last edited by Tdarcos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"People need some reason to believe
I don't know about anyone, but me."
-Jackson Browne, Runnin' on Empty
User avatarTdarcos
Unread post by Tdarcos » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: ↑Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Well, of course I'm voting for Trump, whom do you think I would vote for?

All kidding aside, suffice to say I wouldn't vote for him if he could guarantee I could get up and walk out of this place. Strike that, in that case I would, but under normal circumstances I wouldn't vote for him even if it meant I'd lose one of my arms too. Strike that, if that was the threat I would. But seriously, I'd have to be reduced to the intellectual capacity of a mongoloid idiot to vote for him.

As for whom I'm going to vote for, that's for me to know and you not to find out. Other than that you do know of someone whom I am not voting for.
User avatarBilly Mays
Unread post by Billy Mays » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:41 pm

He's afraid to share who he's voting for because of how open minded everyone here is.
User avatarAArdvark
Unread post by AArdvark » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 am

User avatarTdarcos
Unread post by Tdarcos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:49 am

Billy Mays wrote: ↑Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:41 pm
Nope, 'Vark has it right. (See below.)
AArdvark wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 am
That's exactly why. People have fought and died to grant us the privilege of the ballot box. And more than that, the ability to vote in secret.

And the thing is, the US didn't even invent the secret ballot. In some parts of New England, they still have a town meeting where everyone registered to vote can show up, and the town decides the matter. Oh not by a board of selectmen or town council doing so; the entire town votes by raising a hand for "yay" or "nay" and they decide. When elections were in cities having too many people to vote that way, they'd have people write down how they were voting. You actually brought your own ballot with you. Vote-buying was easy, and common, in many cases whoever bought your vote would have someone "help" you fill it out.

When i was an election judge in Maryland, we had strict rules about someone getting "help." You are permitted too have one or two people with you in the voting booth if they are under 18 years of age. Nothing special, presumably someone voting doesn't have to leave their child alone. In fact, we'd give kids their own "I voted" sticker just like their parent got one. Now, if the person helping you is over 18, they have to sign a form in which they agree they will not choose how you will vote, and they are not a representative of a candidate, a party, a union or the person's employer.

I'll give you a hint where we imported it from. The idea of a secret ballot is called the "Australian ballot."

AArdvark wrote: ↑Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 am
Whom is 45? Is that someone like Fourteen from Donovan's Mellow Yellow or Thirteen from House?

But again, as for whom I'm voting for? I'm not telling.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:49 amWhen i was an election judge in Maryland
For those of you not in the know this was the scandal that the media would later dub "McGriddlesgate".

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Whom Is 45?
Count the presidents...Wait, you must know this already.

Don't tell us who your voting for, at least not until after November. We'll all post guesses (in a poll) and have a hearty chuckle after the election.

THE
POLITICAL MIRTH
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

I think we know mostly who is voting for who:
Knuckles - probably Trump
Billy - we know, got it
Tdarcos - he'll never get the ballot mailed on time
AArdvark - not sure. Clearly Republican but im thinking old school real Republican not a Trumpster
Everyone else - Biden/Kamala

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'm not voting specially because I want to be that kind of guy that knows he contributed to the world going to hell, who actively chose to let it by being "political in making a statement in a rigged system."
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I dislike the President making me vote Democrat again.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:15 pm I have access to a credit card belonging to a friend that has about a $7,000 limit.
Huh.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Oh, all right, well in advance of the election, i'll tell you whom I'm voting for. It's...

Flack.

There, are you happy now? Oh, you mean there is some other election upcoming than the Jolt Country 2020 MVP Award? Oh really, i hadn't noticed.

Actually, I think I won 2019's Award by a leg slide, err I mean landslide. It was probably the sympathy vote.