Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

wget ... isn't on my Windows command prompt by default either. :(
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I must have nabbed it from here at some point and stuck it in my windows\system32 directory.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Because of my vision problems I have Windows in High Contrast mode (Shift+Left Alt+Print Screen is the shortcut for High Contrast) I've described it in my all caps message. This BBS - as well as Caltrops - works great in high contrast: the background is black, authors of posstings are lisated in cyan, "post reply" button is lavender, the text and titles of postings, type-in boxes such as post titles and contents, box outlines as well as drop-down menus and labels, are all yellow.

A cute feature is in the CSS for the reply box, it's a dashed-line, but when the mouse crossess it or hovers, it turns into a solid line. If you move the mouse out d the box without clicking on it, the line turns dashed again. This creats a nice "marquee" effect when looking for the type-in area. Once you click in the box the border tays solid, even if the mouse moves out of the box. Click outside the box - except on formatting buttons like italic - and its border turns back to dashed. Sweet.

I have to run everything in reverse color / "X-Ray" mode (what is technically called "High Contrast") because light colors have a "halo" effect. On individual characters the halo is minor and I can still read them. But when the screen background is white - regular low-contrast mode - the halo is so strong the text is almost always unreadable. It is very faint.

Google works quite nicely too. The GOOGLE text has a transparent backgtound, the searvh box is yellow on black with a yellow border, and the results are in readable colors with a black background.

Having trouble with my hands, I decide to see if there are any free speech to text programs. One website claims to mention the top, oh, 5 or 6, I can't remember at the moment. One of those that is web-based no-install-required, is Google Docs. So I click on the link and have Firefox open it in a new window.

Since Google has placed a (login) cookie on my computer it knows me, and even shows me what documents I\ve had Google Docs save to the cloud before. I pick blank document, and as the article recommends, select the tools menu - these web apps are starting to look more and more like desktop applications - and go to the "voice typing" submenu. Only it isn't there. Maybe Google took it out. But the article is dated September 2019. So I try the next selection, a website. Comes up to tell me my browser doesn't support voice and I need to use a browse that does, like Google Chrome.

Well, that explains why Google Docs did not show the voice typing submenu. I have Chrome installed, so I fire it up. Comes up in High-Contrast mode. I copy the link from the other page in Firefox and paste it to Chrome's URL box - which I have a bit of trouble because it's low-contrast black-on-white - Google Docs comes up, but - and given the circumstances this is one time it is reasonable - since it is cloud-based (and does not save locally), Google Docs requires me to login. Only problem is, the goddam login box is in low contrast with a white fuckin' background!

Then to top it off, after I am able to get through enough to find the text fields, Google Sign-In says my login is invalid! (Meaning I'd need yo go back to Firefox's security setting and list saved logins amd [asswprds, then paste it intoo Chrome.)

I'm too tired for this fuckin shit - even though I recently wole up from a nap - I'll try selecting a local-installable application.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Have I mentioned how much I hate the way Atom and sublimeText do Settings now? Where it's a text file with shit and there's no way to know what you need to add to make additions? Dumb pattern that we're using only because it makes the programmers feel clever.

Anyway, get a load of this:

https://discuss.atom.io/t/atom-customfi ... ng/54062/5

I was trying to make hug files go to the "Go" syntax thing. YOU. HAVE. TO. IDENT. LIKE. IT. WANTS.

It throws no error.
There's nothing in the file saying that indentation matters.
There's obviously no way to just "know" what it wants if I want to support .g and .h files
It won't work if you put the . there, even though it could ignore it.

How the fuck is this superior to a normal settings menu? Why do these dumb fucks insist on doing it this way?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Here here brother. There’s also the fact that this program is one bloated motherfucker. The volume of RAM it uses is just.. well, I’ll leave you to your own conclusions before I break this coffee table!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wow, pasting is fucking broken again in Google Sheets.

I wish I could explain how much I want to fucking murder the dumb fucking idiots at Google that decided to make paste WITH formatting the default. I have never wanted to paste with format. Ever. I doubt anyone does.

We have to hit an extra key to just paste the shit without formatting and it has broken on me over the years at least a billion times. Imagine being that worthless that you fuck up pasting.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Not just no but hell no to formatted pasting into a spreadsheet!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

While this is hardware-related, I'd like to personally thank the guy who made HDMI and Display Ports allllllllllmost the same shape as USB ports. And I'd like to also thank his partner in crime, the guy who decided they should be placed next to one another on the sides and backs of laptops. Over the past week I've loaded 20 different laptop models and had to blindly connect USB sticks (and devices) to every one. What a fun time it's been playing "is that the right port or not!?!?"

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 pm While this is hardware-related, I'd like to personally thank the guy who made HDMI and Display Ports allllllllllmost the same shape as USB ports. And I'd like to also thank his partner in crime, the guy who decided they should be placed next to one another on the sides and backs of laptops. Over the past week I've loaded 20 different laptop models and had to blindly connect USB sticks (and devices) to every one. What a fun time it's been playing "is that the right port or not!?!?"
That's another great moment. Like, make the new ports circular, make them triangular, make them somehow different and do that by thinking about how people will use the ports. Drives me crazy with anger.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:15 am Wow, pasting is fucking broken again in Google Sheets.

I wish I could explain how much I want to fucking murder the dumb fucking idiots at Google that decided to make paste WITH formatting the default. I have never wanted to paste with format. Ever. I doubt anyone does.

We have to hit an extra key to just paste the shit without formatting and it has broken on me over the years at least a billion times. Imagine being that worthless that you fuck up pasting.
While we're shitting on Google Sheets: it's sort works for shit. You have to change a setting to keep it from defaulting to sorting with no header row. That and a total lack of features vs Excel keeps my usage of Sheets to sharing files for the team to collaborate. Any real spreadsheet work has to be done with Excel.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 pm
Flack wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 pm While this is hardware-related, I'd like to personally thank the guy who made HDMI and Display Ports allllllllllmost the same shape as USB ports. And I'd like to also thank his partner in crime, the guy who decided they should be placed next to one another on the sides and backs of laptops. Over the past week I've loaded 20 different laptop models and had to blindly connect USB sticks (and devices) to every one. What a fun time it's been playing "is that the right port or not!?!?"
That's another great moment. Like, make the new ports circular, make them triangular, make them somehow different and do that by thinking about how people will use the ports. Drives me crazy with anger.
I am thankful that we still have ports to use though (Fuck you Apple, never will use Apple) at least in Windows machines. It's already bad enough that my laptop has only 2 USB ports plus one HDMI. My nightmare would be having only wireless options for connectivity.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:15 am Wow, pasting is fucking broken again in Google Sheets.

While we're shitting on Google Sheets: it's sort works for shit. You have to change a setting to keep it from defaulting to sorting with no header row. That and a total lack of features vs Excel keeps my usage of Sheets to sharing files for the team to collaborate. Any real spreadsheet work has to be done with Excel.
No way my company would get international clients to use anything but Sheets. It is great for portability which is why they should stick to non-formatted text as the default.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 am
No way my company would get international clients to use anything but Sheets. It is great for portability which is why they should stick to non-formatted text as the default.
What kind of company do you work for? IT services? That's a horrible mindset. Itll be years if ever before Google reaches feature parity with Excel. It's too bad Msft won the spreadsheet wars but the only advantage Google has here is maybe cost (just a little) . O365 already has the always updated collaboration thing so what's any other advantage of Gaheets. Fine, I started using gdocs for a persistent call note record because Words autosave failed and I lost shit once. Gsuite is seriously lacking from a feature standpoint

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:46 am
What kind of company do you work for? IT services? That's a horrible mindset.
An awesome one that prefers plain text formatting for raw data.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 am
Casual Observer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:46 am
What kind of company do you work for? IT services? That's a horrible mindset.
An awesome one that prefers plain text formatting for raw data.
Ok, that didn't answer the question about what they do but ok. The real question is what are the clients supposed to do with the data? If it's just collaboration then ok but you can't do fun stuff like even basic shit like countif or advanced formulas. Unless the client has BI or specialized software like SAS then I can't see how anyone except a mom and pop shop could live with just google sheets.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:46 am What kind of company do you work for? IT services? That's a horrible mindset. Itll be years if ever before Google reaches feature parity with Excel. It's too bad Msft won the spreadsheet wars but the only advantage Google has here is maybe cost (just a little) . O365 already has the always updated collaboration thing so what's any other advantage of Gaheets. Fine, I started using gdocs for a persistent call note record because Words autosave failed and I lost shit once. Gsuite is seriously lacking from a feature standpoint
So, we were forced to use O365 this year, so I'd like to speak to what a pain in the ass it is.

I am now using the online version of One Drive. It did an OK job viewing word processor documents and spreadsheets. I was given a link to a spreadsheet that is password protected.

The online version of Excel won't open password protected documents.

I had to download the desktop version of Office 365. Not just Excel... all of it. It was 9 gigabytes in size.

However, before doing that, I want to stress that I found a bug. Excel gives you a link to click on to download 0365 and then says, ok, once you've done that you can open the file. Well, of course you can't - you need to install the entirety of their office suite. It makes you wonder if anyone at MS ever looks at this stuff.

While logged into OneDrive via my Microsoft account online, I start the installer for 0365 on my Mac. And it wants my username and password. ***I am already logged in online.*** For fuck's sake that should be enough for it. I don't have that info handy and Microsoft lets your company decide if resetting the password is something users can do or if it's something they have to have done for them. And I had to fill out a CAPTCHA to be told that I can't reset my password, my network admin has to initiate the request. Why make me fill out a CAPTCHA to be told that?

Then when I did change my password, it didn't update instantaneously. It took 3 minutes before it worked.

Google's solution to all of this is to just let you read docs online. I like Google's office products more than most of my friends and co-workers, and I hate Google's office products.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Libreoffice doesn't have any of these issues.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah, I liked LibreOffice for years and OpenOffice before it. Never had any stupid problems that I recall.

CO to elaborate on your question these aren't mom and pop companies (with exception to 1) at all. They are actually big companies I'd rather not mention publicly. However, I can kind of describe the kind of CMS software systems our developers create.

Like imagine say the software behind your Guide app in your smart TV. How it displays what's on now, what's coming on, perhaps lets you purchase content, etc. All of that data is generated through external "Feeds" or APIs that the softer then organizes, displays in whatever font/format you like via the front end coding. Say someone purchased something, the record of it minus payment information ends up getting stored in the database and this data can be queried to see trends.

Most of the time for some reason if we need to generate a spreadsheet for a checklist or something.. it's generated from raw JSON output or something similar. Or in my case (not being a developer) I'm just listing shit like IPs and what DNS ties to them, etc. No need for anything fancy. The only thing I format is the headers.. I'll make them bold and make a different font to make them stick out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 am Libreoffice doesn't have any of these issues.
I've never tried LibreOffice but the reason I stopped using Open Office back in the day was because they defaulted paste in spreadsheets to paste with formatting. It was funny to see Google make the same stupid decision.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Does everybody know that in Windows you can typically use either ctrl-alt-v (Excel) or ctrl-shift-v (everything else) to paste without formatting? Totally not being a smart ass here -- just making sure everybody knows that.

Also, OneDrive seems like a kooky piece of shit designed by someone who took a list of cloud storage requirements and did the opposite of them all as a joke.