Pink Floyd's The Wall

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Pink Floyd's The Wall

Post by Flack »

I woke up around 2 a.m. last night and couldn't go back to sleep. Usually when this happens, I can put a movie on and fall back asleep within a few minutes, especially if it's one I haven't seen before. For no real reason, last night I selected Pink Floyd's The Wall. Needless to say, two hours later I was wide awake, and by 5:30 a.m., I had watched a documentary called "Behind the Wall."

I'm still processing all the symbolism and reading up on trivia. Feel free to share your experiences and memories of this strange film.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall

Post by Jizaboz »

We had a VHS copy when I was a kid and watched it many times. I mainly liked the dark cartoons and I had already heard the album a few times.

The only scene I recall disturbing me was when his dad is killed in the war.. and I hated the “Mother” part.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Seen this for the first time in college, at one of the two dollar movie festivals they had at Alfred State. Drank a whole six pack in the theater ( shocker, right?)
Didnt care about Pink Floyd then so it was only a mildly interesting movie.
The only vivid memory is the hotel maid stepping down on the vacuum cleaner.

THE
BRAINS SUCKED
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Try watching it with the sound on!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ohhh! you so FUNNY!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Now that I think about it, I did put on Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz at the same time, just as an experiment, you know.

THE
MIND BLOWN
AARDVARK

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Some kids at my junior high used a short clip (the skeleton/soldier keels over and a British flag appears) in a class project, and I got really excited thinking it must be something related to Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" or "Die With Your Boots On." I didn't figure out what it was actually from for years. (it didn't occur to me to ask at the time)

Flack

Post by Flack »

One time in high school I was over at a friend's house when he brought in some of his brother's records for us to look at and listen to. I grew up listening to classic rock so I'm sure I knew who Pink Floyd was (you can't go an hour without our local rock radio station playing something from Dark Side of the Moon), but I had never seen The Wall. I remember opening up the album and looking at the pictures from the movie. The whole thing gave me this creepy and uncomfortable vibe. Both that friend and others told me it was impossible to enjoy the film without drugs or alcohol, and so I never gave it a shot.

I spent a couple of days last week watching the film along with a few Pink Floyd-related documentaries and listening to a few of their albums... and now I'm over it. The Wall (the movie) was an interesting concept -- maybe a little too high concept for fans of their music -- but it's interesting to see what they were trying to say.

A few years ago I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they had a bunch of props from The Wall tour. I wish I had known more about it at the time so I cold have appreciated them more.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:37 am I remember opening up the album and looking at the pictures from the movie. The whole thing gave me this creepy and uncomfortable vibe. Both that friend and others told me it was impossible to enjoy the film without drugs or alcohol, and so I never gave it a shot.
I would strongly disagree with all of those people. Even though I didn't get all the messages, etc as a kid (I was about 5 years old when my parents trusted me to play their records) I really enjoyed everything about The Wall. I spun the Dark Side album a few times as well but just couldn't dig it as much back then. If anything, "drugs and alcohol" kind of enhanced Dark Side for me later on (especially when I finally watched a Dark Side laser show at a local science center) in a mostly positive way. On the other hand, most of the songs off The Wall I would rather not be on anything when listening. There are some songs on it I just flat out won't listen to anymore. I really didn't feel those "bad vibes" with the exception of the mother song.. until I fried my brain a few times. There's a lot of mental instability themes going on along with everything else to process.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻