Hugor in MacOS Catalina

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Jizaboz

Hugor in MacOS Catalina

Post by Jizaboz »

Catalina broke both Wine (32 bit) and Hugor for me. Now if this were a computer that I purchased, I'd just roll back and try to stay there. However, it is not.

Is a 64 bit version of Hugor a possibility?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Re: Hugor in MacOS Catalina

Post by pinback »

This thread seems to indicate that it already is 64-bit: http://joltcountry.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 17&t=11252
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

It is 64-bit. What error message are you getting?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Well just like Wine is “also 32 bit” it just refuses to load. Is there a way I should try to load Hugor to get more debug info?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also let me make this clear:

1. I am only aggravated with Apple.

2. The 64 bit bullshit is just what said company said is something that “breaks older apps”.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Try running it from the command line in the terminal with:

./Hugor.app/Contents/MacOS/Hugor

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Did a backup of my macOS 10.13 dev setup and am firing up the upgrade to 10.15. If it doesn't foobar everything, I'll be able to check things out myself soon.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Hugor 2.2 works fine in macOS 10.15. However, directly after the OS upgrade, it took a long time before I could launch any 3rd party applications. It took over an hour for the new Apple anti-virus to check every file. I think what happens is that unless all files on the machine have been checked, you are not allowed to launch them. They just appear to get stuck at loading with their icon just bouncing until the anti-virus has checked everything.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

RealNC wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 am Hugor 2.2 works fine in macOS 10.15. However, directly after the OS upgrade, it took a long time before I could launch any 3rd party applications. It took over an hour for the new Apple anti-virus to check every file. I think what happens is that unless all files on the machine have been checked, you are not allowed to launch them. They just appear to get stuck at loading with their icon just bouncing until the anti-virus has checked everything.
hahaha, wow. Wow. They really are shit.

Not that Microsoft is any better. I was forced to update the ole work computer on Friday and when it finished doing what it was doing, the keyboard did not work. (When I restarted the computer, it did.)

No keyboard. NO KEYBOARD.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

It's a clusterfuck. Almost nothing seems to work at an acceptable speed, if at all. The disk and CPU are constantly at full load and even clicking takes forever.

I gave up and created a bootable 10.15 install media, wiped the disk and did a clean install. That works fine. No issues whatsoever. It seems upgrading from an older macOS version instead of doing a clean install makes the OS shit itself.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:19 pm 2. The 64 bit bullshit is just what said company said is something that “breaks older apps”.
IBM's zMachine mainframe computers are the latest 64-bit versions of the 24-bit System/360 and 31-bit System/370. You can take an application written, say, in 1975, for the 360, and run it unmodified on the z/System now, and it will still work.

It is possible to design systems to be 100% upward compatible. Having things fail because of processors becoming upgraded is unacceptably bad design. And yes, there actually are places still running software from the 1970s, because it does a specific job and it works. In some cases the software is still being maintained but parts of it go back that far.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

There should be an app or program you can run on ANY IBM-style computer to know that, gosh darnit, this is a system capable of running any PC program I see fit.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Have you considered purchasing an IBM zMachine mainframe from the 1970s?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 pm There should be an app or program you can run on ANY IBM-style computer to know that, gosh darnit, this is a system capable of running any PC program I see fit.
A kind of gold standard?

I don't think there was one for the IBM PC.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:27 pm Have you considered purchasing an IBM zMachine mainframe from the 1970s?
The zSystems didn't.come out until about 1995. An IBM mainframe from 1970 would be a 360/145, would weigh about 5 tons for the processor, disk drives, tape drive, plus cabling and air conditioning. It would also eat about 30kW of power. And you could run applications for so 360 or 370 today, on the Hercules mainframe emulator software on a PC, and the software from the '70s would run faster now, on a $150 quad core PC than it did back then on hardware that leased (then) for $27,000 a month.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Have you considered purchasing an IBM zMachine mainframe from 1995, building a time machine, transporting it back 25 years, and then purchasing it in 1970?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:37 am Try running it from the command line in the terminal with:

./Hugor.app/Contents/MacOS/Hugor
mphipps@Poseidon:/Applications/Hugor.app/Contents/MacOs$ ./Hugor
-bash: ./Hugor: Bad CPU type in executable
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:35 am mphipps@Poseidon:/Applications/Hugor.app/Contents/MacOs$ ./Hugor
Right-click (or control+click) on the Hugor app and select "Quick Look". What does it say about the version of the app?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 am
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:35 am mphipps@Poseidon:/Applications/Hugor.app/Contents/MacOs$ ./Hugor
Right-click (or control+click) on the Hugor app and select "Quick Look". What does it say about the version of the app?
Version 1.0.0
9.3 MB
Last modified Aug 15, 2012

Have I just got an outdated version?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:13 pm Version 1.0.0
9.3 MB
Last modified Aug 15, 2012

Have I just got an outdated version?