Hugor 2.0 released

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

RealNC

Hugor 2.0 released

Post by RealNC »

I finally just released Hugor 2.0. Almost seven years have passed since 1.0, which I pretty much wrote just so I can use Linux to play Cryptozookeeper the way it was intended :smile:

The official download page is now on GitHub. There's downloads for Linux (64-bit), macOS (10.12 and newer) and Windows (7 and newer.)

The Linux version is now an AppImage; just run the "Hugor.AppImage" app. You can copy it to wherever you want. It's very similar to a macOS app. It should work out of the box on all reasonably recent distros (the oldest supported distro is Ubuntu 16.04.) There is no 32-bit Linux download (not sure if it's worth supporting, since AppImage is 64bit-only.)

Video is fully supported on all operating systems. On Windows, if you don't care about video support, you can just keep the "Hugor.exe" file and delete the DLLs and the "plugins" folder.

Downloads and full changelog:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/tag/v2.0

pinback

Re: Hugor 2.0 released

Post by pinback »

Amazing work!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Cool! I'll try to give this a shot soon.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Congrats! I made it the main thing I am using for Cyberganked dev.

Was there ever a feature for the cfg file created that lets you select the specific font and not just the size?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:18 pmWas there ever a feature for the cfg file created that lets you select the specific font and not just the size?
No, because I didn't want to delay 2.0 any further. But I intend to add a way to use custom fonts that can be shipped together with the game so that the same fonts can be used on all platforms, rather than relying that the player's OS has the fonts you want. You would then have a folder in the same directory that contains your fonts (TTF or OTF files) and point Hugor to that folder in the cfg. You could then use https://fonts.google.com to get royalty-free fonts you can use.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'll figure something out. There is something I can't replicate with a brand new computer. It frustrates the hell out of me. I THINK that the windows look like shit for Cryptozookeeper because Lucida Console 16 is not used as the proportional font. I don't think it has anything to do with points (maybe it does) and I regret ever changing the font myself and then creating the graphics. It looks bad, but not as bad as Cyberganked does with whatever the default font is.

I'll do more testing before Cyberganked goes to Steam. And I think that I need to figure out how to get Hugor 2.0 in for Cryptozookeeper on Steam as well someday. Steam just makes it so terrible to do so that it requires me having literally a full day to test, which I won't have until a couple weeks.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

The problem CZK has seems to be that it doesn't use the same height for both windows and that the graphics assets were too low resolution so that they didn't fill out the window they're in.

I'll experiment with a mode that always scales up images to fill the whole window and see if that helps. This breaks compatibility with official Hugo though.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Also, the aspect ratio of a Hugo window depends on the aspect ratio of the font. And to make things worse, the aspect ratio of the font can change for different point sizes! Hugo's way of dealing with window sizes is not good, to say the least. It was made for DOS.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

RealNC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:55 amThe problem CZK has seems to be that it doesn't use the same height for both windows and that the graphics assets were too low resolution so that they didn't fill out the window they're in.
Looking into it, CZK actually does use the same height for all top windows. It's just that the images have a different aspect ratio than their window (which is very likely to happen, because different fonts have different aspect ratios), and they're too low resolution and so can't fill out the whole width of their window.

I ran a few experiments with a constant scaling factor, and it does look like it's something that could help a lot with CZK. Before/after comparison:

Image -> Image

Open both images in different browser tabs and switch between the tabs to see what's happening. This also helps your other games quite a bit (FoD and ND for example look nicer due to larger images.)

This isn't something that Hugor can do by default though. Images are not supposed to be scaled up. Doing this will break many existing games. So it will have to be an optional setting. Perhaps even a cfg-only setting.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Small v2.1 bugfix release:
  • Fixes an issue where the fullscreen width is too narrow when loading settings stored by Hugor version 1.0.
  • The Linux AppImage now integrates better with the Gnome desktop (native Gnome file dialogs are used when possible, and some missing icons should now show correctly.)
https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/tag/v2.1

If you didn’t have one of these issues, there’s no need to download the new version.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Another small bugfix release (hopefully the last for a while.) v2.2 fixes an annoying bug where on some systems the interpreter would minimize itself when in fullscreen mode when opening a file dialog or when bringing up the scrollback window:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/tag/v2.2