PATTY FLINGER

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

PATTY FLINGER

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Paul, I will give you $5 to make PATTY FLINGER, a Hugo game where you fling pork patties at people. You can even use the piss code.

Actually, wait -- $5.25 and the official name HAS to be "COMMANDER TDARCOS'S PATTY FLINGER"
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Re: PATTY FLINGER

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Paul, I will give you $5 to make PATTY FLINGER, a Hugo game where you fling pork patties at people. You can even use the piss code.

Actually, wait -- $5.25 and the official name HAS to be "COMMANDER TDARCOS'S PATTY FLINGER"
Are you kidding? I ain't that broke and I consider that an insult.

You want something like that, you had better either phrase it, "Paul, I will unlock post editing on Jolt Country and give you $5.25 to make" or "Paul, I will give you $100 to make". That low a level of money and no bribe is an insult. It's like trying to get the gate operator to issue the ticket to open the gate in Tripkey for only $15 without getting him the Strawberry soda.

His price is $100 full price or the discount price of $15 plus a strawberry soda.

My discount price is $5,25 and reenable post editing. What my full price is, is left as an exercise to the reader.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

TDARCOS' TO-DO LIST:

1. Remove the piss code from TripKey.
2. Write PATTY FLINGER.
3. Quit arguing with us about these things.

Just DO IT, wheels. Don't argue. Just do it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Paul, if you make Patty Flinger as a real Hugo game, I will pay you $5.25 and unlock post editing.

Somewhere between 10 minutes and 100 minutes of gameplay.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Paul, if you make Patty Flinger as a real Hugo game, I will pay you $5.25 and unlock post editing.

Somewhere between 10 minutes and 100 minutes of gameplay.
I have an idea on what to do, but what I am thinking of is something like (half of) Battleship, the game shows a grid, which the user can select of dimensions either way of 3, 4 or 5 by the same number, so they can select a grid of 9 to 25 spots to throw an item into. If the other guy is in that spot, he gets some points. Perhaps a lower number if in the immediate next spot. Loses points if the person isn't there at all and hits an empty spot.

Also, the size of the object determines points won or lost, bacon is worth 2 points, sausage 4, pork chops 6 and pork patties 10. If they hit they get this, if they miss they lose this. If they're close, they get half.

The opponent doesn't shoot back, your score is in hitting an opponent you can't see, not in dodging his attacks.

After each turn the opponent may or may not move. The game ends after 500 points won or lost.

They can save the game settings so if they like them they don't have to re-enter them each time.

Does this sound like what you're thinking about?
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:TDARCOS' TO-DO LIST:

1. Remove the piss code from TripKey.
2. Write PATTY FLINGER.
3. Quit arguing with us about these things.

Just DO IT, wheels. Don't argue. Just do it.
1. I ain't Nike.
2. Who's wheels? If you're referring to me, my general nickname here is "Commander," remember?
3. You didn't answer my question. If I remove the piss code from Tripkey, will you try playing it again to completion? (You're complete when the game accepts the command "CROSS BRIDGE", and then it will legitimately say you won).

Also, you were right about including the interpreter in the Zip file, one guy who wanted to beta test it said he thought it was a TADS or ZCode adventure, and he didn't have a hugo interpreter. So I e-mailed him HEWIN.EXE and it's included in the Zip file now. Thanks.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote:I have an idea on what to do, but what I am thinking of is something like (half of) Battleship, the game shows a grid, which the user can select of dimensions either way of 3, 4 or 5 by the same number, so they can select a grid of 9 to 25 spots to throw an item into. If the other guy is in that spot, he gets some points. Perhaps a lower number if in the immediate next spot. Loses points if the person isn't there at all and hits an empty spot.

Also, the size of the object determines points won or lost, bacon is worth 2 points, sausage 4, pork chops 6 and pork patties 10. If they hit they get this, if they miss they lose this. If they're close, they get half.

The opponent doesn't shoot back, your score is in hitting an opponent you can't see, not in dodging his attacks.

After each turn the opponent may or may not move. The game ends after 500 points won or lost.

They can save the game settings so if they like them they don't have to re-enter them each time.

Does this sound like what you're thinking about?
This sounds PERFECT. I have one request that you can take or discard: would it be possible for the player to somehow gain knowledge of pork and pork patty prospects through playing somehow? Like, if in playing, we all learned something we didn't know about delicious pig-based meat treats.

But yes, this sounds perfect and fun. We could make it a HugoComp release????

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Just realized something. User can't get partial score if they play 3x3, they can only get credit for a hit. because the odds are excellent - probably more than 1/2 - they will hit a square next to the guy. Has to be at least 4x4 to get 1/2 credit.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Also, proper English dictates when a possessive word ends in s, the apostrophe is put after it without an s following it, e.g. Davis' Toolbox, not Davis's Toolbox.

Unless you object, I'm going to use "Commander TDarcos' Patty Flinger" and I'll use mixed case rather than all capitals.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I also have a great opening for the game:

Welcome to Commander TDarcos' Patty Flinger game. If you look out over the field, you can see a room with a number of pork products and a programmable trebuchet, and beyond it is a resizable game grid where a man in standing, wearing a Star of David, indicating his disdain for pork.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote:Also, proper English dictates when a possessive word ends in s, the apostrophe is put after it without an s following it, e.g. Davis' Toolbox, not Davis's Toolbox.

Unless you object, I'm going to use "Commander TDarcos' Patty Flinger" and I'll use mixed case rather than all capitals.
You can call it whatever you like, but you are absolutely dead wrong that what you wrote is "proper" English.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:Also, proper English dictates when a possessive word ends in s, the apostrophe is put after it without an s following it, e.g. Davis' Toolbox, not Davis's Toolbox.

You can call it whatever you like, but you are absolutely dead wrong that what you wrote is "proper" English.
These references, including the third one from Purdue University, all agree with me that plural possessive nouns ending in s are followed by apostrophe and do not add an additional s after the apostrophe.
http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/apostr ... ding-in-s/
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/punct ... rules.html
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

I said, if you want it in I'll put it in but this is the way I understood the rule for something like 20 years. "He called 14 BBS' today," not "He called 14 BBS's today."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

It's done! Separate thread follows.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

I don't care. You can prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

You want to talk about people from Purdue? OK, Commander, let's do that. THIS is correct English:

"The touchdown that was just thrown was thrown by Drew Brees."
"Look at all of Drew's touchdowns."

THAT IS CORRECT ENGLISH. This objectivist shit you're pulling from Purdue is made to control people. And guess what, you can't (not you, I mean, professors from Purdue) CAN'T CONTROL SHIT. If they could control anything, they'd be out in the real world making money instead of sponging off the sperging teat of academia.
"He called 14 BBS' today," not "He called 14 BBS's today."
Neither of those are correct because of the abbreviation. What would be correct would be to write, "He flung load's of pork."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I don't care. You can prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

You want to talk about people from Purdue? OK, Commander, let's do that. THIS is correct English:

The name "Drew" doesn't end in s. Thus 's is correct.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

As noted, the game was finished and is available (with a hugo interpreter included) at
http://in-the-matter-of.com/patty_flinger.zip
and the source (with the hex file and the run-time) is available at
http://in-the-matter-of.com/patty_flinger_src.zip
- J.R.R. Tolkien

lalamusakhan

reading

Post by lalamusakhan »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 pm I don't care. You can prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

THAT IS CORRECT ENGLISH. This objectivist shit you're pulling from Purdue is made to control people. And guess what, you can't (not you, I mean, professors from Purdue) CAN'T CONTROL SHIT. If they could control anything, they'd be out in the real world making money instead of sponging off the sperging teat of academia.
"He called 14 BBS' today," not "He called 14 BBS's today."
Neither of those are correct because of the abbreviation. What would be correct would be to write, "He flung load's of pork."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: PATTY FLINGER

Nice post moron