Car update

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

AArdvark

Car update

Post by AArdvark » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 pm

I got a letter in the mail requesting that I take my car back to the dealer for a software update.

Take note people, this is the first time in the history of me and cars (which really aint that long, actually) that my car has needed a SOFTWARE UPDATE. I think of things like Adobe Flash, which updates at least twice a month. Or Firefox, which updates several times a year.
But this is a car, autoMObile, vehicle del vroom. tangible goods.

I just thought it was new and weird, that's all. I'm sure they'll all need software update when we get to the Jetson's age.

They added a couple of diagnostic screens and different options to the entertainment section. Hope they fixed teh clock reset bug as well. Probably added in more double secret tracking algorithms as well so they can track me to the pizza store and back more better.

THE
PEPPERONI NSA
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:37 pm

You should keep in mind that it's an enthusiast's car. You're expected to keep its software up to date, learn all about it, and understand the impact of the firmware on performance. You are also expected to join motor racing forums and start long debates about mods and where to import them from, and how to spend 50 thousand dollars on them. You are then expected to start illegal street racing and end up in prison.

You *are* a car enthusiast, aren't you?

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Aardvark, what kind of car do you have?

I remember the odd feeling I had with the first television I plugged in that said, "cannot acquire IP address."
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Ford C-Max hybrid. A sensible SUV crossover.

I should mention that the software is by Microsoft. That would explain the need for an update in less than a year.

THE
GET IT OUT NOW
FIX IT LATER
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 am

Darn, I thought the thread was started by Flack. Dunno why. Never mind then. Your car sucks compared to his anyway; where's the fun if you're sitting on a machine that's not out to kill you?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:27 am

Interestingly enough, it works just opposite to the WRX. The C-Max has a coach feature that encourages you to drive like an old man in order to get the gas mileage stated on the window sticker (47mpg). This puts you in the peril of driving the speed limit while everyone else blasts by you on both sides and the car behind is tailgating honking and flashing their lights at you. I tellya, I've seen more finger gestures since buying that car....

THE
RACING SNAIL
AARDVARK