Honda Crosstour

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Honda Crosstour

Post by Flack » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm

My wife bought a new Honda Crosstour over the weekend. It's the EX-L with the upgraded interior and all wheel drive with the 270hp 3.5 V6. It's not a rocket, but it'll get out of its own way.

We also looked at the Mazda 5 which was a close contender, but our Honda van has 212,000 miles and is still going strong (the only things wrong with it were caused by hail and/or my kids) so we decided to go with Honda again. Also, the Honda dealership near my house does "true pricing" which is a non-haggle purchase. The "True Price" was about $7k off of sticker.

With two kids we were looking for a four-door vehicle. Our new house is not on a "snow plow route," so all-wheel drive was nice. My wife was looking for something bigger than a four-door sedan, smaller than an SUV, and not a minivan. So, this fit the bill.

Hard to tell in this picture, but it's actually "Midnight Twilight Blue." In the sunlight it's almost a blue-purple. Out of direct light it looks grey/silver.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Since I will be in the automotive marketplace within the next two months, this is actually very helpful. First choice for us would be the Ford Focus but this may change matters, or at least give us another option. Please to post more about the mileage/ handling, ect. when she gets back to OK.

THE
SECOND OPINION
AARDVARK

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:05 pm

The majority of the inventory at the Toyota dealership I contract for are hybrids of one kind or another, so I'm a little surprised to hear about normal, totally gasoline based vehicles still making the rounds.

Good find regardless; the car appears to fit your needs and should be sturdy, hardy, and reliable. Question though, how hard did they push the extended warranty and other misc. options on you?

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Very hard. Apparently, those are the things they make commission money on.

First was the pitch for an upgraded styling package, which I believe included pin striping and tint, for $800. I can get tint anywhere in town with a lifetime warranty for $99. Rolls of pinstripe are like $3 at Autozone. At least that's how much they were when I was in high school. Maybe they're $20 now.

The biggest push was for some anti-stain stuff which they said they would coat the interior with to prevent staining. I was like, uh, Scotch Guard? They were like, no no no, this is "SPILLPROOFMAGIC" or something like that. It started out at $1,000, but then she (the finance girl) said "WHAT IF I COULD GET IT DOWN TO 50 CENTS A DAY!??!?!" That was based on 5 years of owning the car so that's what, $900? Scotch guard is like $12, Chicken Hawk.

Also the salesman tried to get us to upgrade to some "sweet rims" and I asked him, "if you were going to put some sweet rims on your ride, would they be stock rims from Honda?" That stopped that.

But yeah, the spill-rite pitch continued off and on for 30 minutes and I was starting to get frustrated.

The one thing we did add was a dent repair insurance which was $400 or something and includes free hail repair. We have a car covered with hail damage so, if this works as advertised, could possibly pay off.

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

AArdvark wrote:Since I will be in the automotive marketplace within the next two months, this is actually very helpful. First choice for us would be the Ford Focus but this may change matters, or at least give us another option. Please to post more about the mileage/ handling, ect. when she gets back to OK.
If the Focus meets your needs, I'd go with that -- it's about half the price of this thing. Mason and Morgan are both the tallest kids in their classes, so we are anticipating leg room being an issue. Susan also tends to drive work visitors around quite a bit, so there could be 4 adults in this thing quite often.

I actually like the Ford Fiesta ... of course I like the little racing ones. I still dream of a WRX STi hatchback or a Mazdaspeed 3, although I know I need one or both of those like I need a hole in the head ...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Oh... well price is a major factor in the upcoming purchase.

If I could get an all-electric that would go through snowdrifts for under 13K, I'd buy it now. I guess everyone would.

THE
WHERE HAVE ALL
THE SATURNS GONE
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 pm

I looked at an all electric car not too long ago. It was around $10k and they have a $7k tax credit so it would only cost us (math) $3k. Unfortunately top speed is 35mph and it has a range of 50 miles, which means it would double my commute time and only make it if I didn't leave for lunch. For people like me who live a little bit outside the city, the technology's not quite there yet.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Flack wrote:Very hard. Apparently, those are the things they make commission money on.
They do make a commission on the addons but its also the primary statistic the sales rep is tracked against, (secondary being the price they negotiate for a trade in) as they expect the buyer to walk in knowing the blue book and average selling price of any given vehicle. I'm vaguely aware of two or three employees who were let go because while they were making sales, their "finish," pushing those little extra features, was wanting.

I've heard countless pitches for the the "extended warranty" (though its highly unlikely the car will encounter any mechanical issues within the first five years of ownership) and the "under carriage and 100 point inspection" for used vehicles and ones brought in for service.

So yes... Be aware!

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah, we got the thing where Honda's warranty only covered "lubricated parts" and that if we wanted insurance to cover hoses and things like that, it was extra. It's all bullshit. While she was talking I pulled out my phone and said, "hold on, let me Google 'should I buy the extended warranty at a dealership'" and she just kind of frumpled and moved on.

My dad used to always say, "I'd give a car away to a friend before I traded it in." I know enough to not mention a trade in before the price is decided. When we bought our van, I didn't mention my Isuzu Rodeo before we got to the price. When we got to the end I mentioned the trade in. Blue book on the Rodeo was $5,500 at the time, and they ended up offering me $1,700. Needless to say, I kept it and sold it to a co-worker's kid for about $4k (who promptly totaled it). My wife's minivan has 212,000 miles, is covered in hail damage, and half of the "features" are broken. Blue Book in "fair" condition is $3,500. My guess is, they'd offer about $300 or so. I've got a niece with two kids and a sister with two and one on the way. Either one of them could use a seven seater. Mechanically it's sound -- there's a great Honda repair shop near me (Hondura) that only works on Hondas and Acuras who has been really great to us. The owner drives a CRX with a running mileage total posted on a white board in the lobby (last time we were there it was around 750,000 miles).

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:13 pm

While we were in the dealership, the salesman asked for my cell phone number in case he needed to get a hold of me.

The dealership has been calling my cell phone incessantly for the past month. I didn't know it was them at first because they block their Caller ID and my phone simply says "BLOCKED". After ignoring them for two weeks, I finally answered their call. They call every day at 2pm while I am at work. I asked them to please stop calling me and they said okay. Then they called for another two weeks, every day.

They eventually got me on the wrong day and after telling them that I was ready to drive the car back to the dealership and set it on fire, they agreed to stop calling me. So I would rate "responding to threats of arson" 5/5.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Unfortunately, I bought a car from Thich Quang Duc and I had to give him 0/5.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 pm

I did not realize we bought this car in July of last year -- I thought it was later in the fall.

In the past 10 months we have managed to rack up 33,000 miles on this car. The car has been to Atlanta multiple times, North Carolina, Chicago, Texas, Arkansas, at Washington DC at least three times so add in all the states between here and there.

So far, no regrets. It has the loudest and best stock stereo in any car I've owned to date. The build in iPod dock has spoiled me, and the stock 10" subwoofer hits harder than it should. The stereo and performance are my favorite two things about the car; the sunroof and seat warmers are my wife's.