GOP budget: wait for it, wait for it... corporate tax cuts!

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Lysander

GOP budget: wait for it, wait for it... corporate tax cuts!

Post by Lysander » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-200 ... 17022.html
The Wallstreet Journal wrote:"Republicans have proposed a better budget solution that curbs spending, creates jobs, cuts taxes, and controls the debt," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Wednesday.

The Republican plan would increase funding for national defense and veterans' benefits, but for all other arms of the federal government, spending would be halted at its current level until fiscal year 2014.

The minority said it would begin addressing longer term fiscal imbalances by introducing modest reforms to the Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid programs, which combined account for a large share of federal spending.

The GOP proposal forecasts a budget deficit of $1.7 trillion in the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, down from the $1.8 trillion the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office projected from President Barack Obama's budget.

The GOP budget proposal would permanently extend the tax cuts for businesses and the wealthy introduced by the Bush administration in 2001 and 2003 which are set to expire over the next two years. The corporate tax rate would be lowered to 25% from its current 35% rate, while individuals would be given the option of participating in a simplified federal tax system with only two rate brackets.

The Republicans would reject the cap-and-trade system aimed at combat ting global warming which is a central plank of Obama's domestic agenda. Instead they would open up more areas for domestic exploration and production of energy and use the anticipated increased government revenues to pay for funding for
alternative energy sources.
Okay so let me see if I understand this. The Repubs' budget consists of the following: increase defense spending, fuck everything else; increase taxes for the poor, lower them for the rich; stop global warming through drilling; provide more oil as insentive to find alternate energy sources; save world.

It doesn't say it in that article, but their brilliant idea for tax brackets is thus: if you make under $50000 a year, you are in the 10% bracket; if youmake over that you are in the 25% bracket. It's so simple! How come no one's thought of this befoooore

Look, I respect that you need to look like you are doing something, anything, so that you can serve your natural purpose of whining impudently about how the evil nasty Democrats are keeping you down. But try making those alternatives, like, actually look attractive? Or if you can't do that, try not to let your leader up and lie blatantly about it? You stupid assholes lost in November because you kept acting like Bush. All you did last cycle was lock together and refuse to support anything that the new guy brought to the table because you couldn't stand the loss. After gridlocking the whole proceeding without any better ideas you worthless shitbags do not get to talk anymore. I know that there is no way this budget will ever be passed but it's interesting to me to see how little they have learned.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:41 pm

So basically they said lets pretend it's still 1962 and build our agenda around that.

THE
WOW
AARDVARK

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 pm

AArdvark wrote:So basically they said lets pretend it's still 1962 and build our agenda around that.
To be fair, the bailout is "let's pretend it's still 2006, etc."

Bruce

Knuckles the CLown

Post by Knuckles the CLown » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 am

It is mind-boggling. If you are the Repubs, why not make up a bill that sastifies every single persons need, tax cuts for business, lower income tax for everyone, suspension of gas taxes, a freeze on government hiring. Im sure for 3.8 trillion that could be eaily done.
Now of course they would have no intention of fuffiling any of those promises, but the budget also has 0 percent chance of being passed. Then in 4 years when the economy is still a mess they cant point to it, call out Obamas failed policies, get elected and then go back to lower corporate tax rates and defense spending. Then the Democrats came come up with a fake budget and on and on.
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

Lysander

Post by Lysander » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:46 am

I actually agree with the clown here, which is pretty frightening. I recognize that this is a small step forward from the Ted Stevens model of all getting together to shout NO! at everything, but even so. If this is the GOP's idea of nonpartisanship, they've got a lot of work to do. I just have to wonder, when the minority leader said "The Republican party lost its way, and the ellection, and the trust of the people"... was his mic not *working*, or what?
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm

The Democrats have a majority in the House and Senate, right? Why the fuck are the Republicans proposing a budget? I mean, even if it were perfect, there would be a loss of face if the Dems accepted it.

It seems to me that whichever Senators and/or Representatives came up with it have done little but waste their own time. The way it works is:

- Party in power proposes shit
- Other party acts as if that is the WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO AMERICA
- Unless a laughably fascist bill that removes our rights comes along, in which case it passes like 357-66.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:30 pm

They know they (republicans) can't come up with a better idea to fix anything. Throwing money at a problem is marginally effective at best but that's better than doing nothing.

Anybody see the riot in London on the news? Man, I always thought of the English as stiff upper lip and all that (except at soccer...er, football matches) I guess they feel strongly about the failing economy enough to throw and break things.

THE
EH, WOT
AARDVARK