Voted early

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Voted early

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 pm

If I had fucking voted for Obama and Biden any harder, I would have impregnated the chad.

Voted for Mark Udall (D) for the Senate as well, just hoping to get Obama enough votes to get some stuff done.

All right, I did my part, if this gets fucked up, it ain't my fault.

I did like that Alan Keyes was on the ballot for a Presidential party. I actually enjoyed not voting for him and Nader this year.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:38 pm

WILLIAMS: Who is a member of the elite?

PALIN: Oh, I guess just people who think that they're better than anyone else. And-- John McCain and I are so committed to serving every American. Hard-working, middle-class Americans who are so desiring of this economy getting put back on the right track. And winning these wars. And America's starting to reach her potential. And that is opportunity and hope provided everyone equally. So anyone who thinks that they are-- I guess-- better than anyone else, that's-- that's my definition of elitism.

WILLIAMS: So it's not education? It's not income-based? It's--

PALIN: Anyone who thinks that they're better than someone else.

WILLIAMS: --a state of mind? It's not geography?

PALIN: 'Course not.

WILLIAMS: Senator?

MCCAIN: I-- I know where a lot of 'em live. (LAUGH)

WILLIAMS: Where's that?

MCCAIN: Well, in our nation's capital and New York City. I've seen it. I've lived there. I know the town. I know-- I know what a lot of these elitists are. The ones that she never went to a cocktail party with in Georgetown. I'll be very frank with you. Who think that they can dictate what they believe to America rather than let Americans decide for themselves.
Hahah, wow.

NEW YORK CITY! !!! RRRRRRR!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Today I was at my car dealer wearing my VOTE OBAMA NOV 4TH shirt. A guy from the service area approached me because he liked it, and we talked about our early voting experiences. Apparently he had voted on the first day of early voting and tried to vote a straight Democratic ticket on our electronic machines - and it showed up as Republican! He tried again - same result. Finally he talked to an election official who said to vote one by one. He reported it to the county/state and to CNN! Before today I thought this was an urban myth around here, but apparently it really is happening.
THis is amazing. A voting machine program would be the easiest fucking thing in the world to write and test. I'm fucking amazed. I thought computer programmers were supposed to be libertarians, anyway. This country is fucked. Not because it defaulted to Republican for a straight-line Democratic ticket, but because we have one of two things:

1) Computer programmers TOO FUCKING STUPID to do a simple program like a touch-screen voting machine

2) QA guys TOO FUCKING STUPID to test a simple program like a touch-screen voting machine

3) Project managers TOO FUCKING CORRUPT to ensure the program works correctly. I mean, real correctly, not "we'll do anything possible to elect Republicans" correctly.

I really wish that the death penalty were only available for three crimes: grand theft auto, home robberies and creating or otherwise programming bad voting machines.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
1) Computer programmers TOO FUCKING STUPID to do a simple program like a touch-screen voting machine

2) QA guys TOO FUCKING STUPID to test a simple program like a touch-screen voting machine

3) Project managers TOO FUCKING CORRUPT to ensure the program works correctly. I mean, real correctly, not "we'll do anything possible to elect Republicans" correctly.

I really wish that the death penalty were only available for three crimes: grand theft auto, home robberies and creating or otherwise programming bad voting machines.
You know, I'm suddenly reminded of a program I wrote once.

I wrote it for NERD ALERT the National Junior Classical League convention. It was a multiple-choice quiz program, with Certamen-style questions that tested your knowledge of Roman history and culture and the Latin language.

The questions themselves--and the right answer (because in this case it did matter what you chose and not just that I accurately detected it)--were stored in a separate text file, so that you could swap them out.

It was a pretty solid program. It was written in Applesoft BASIC. It accurately kept track of what you had chosen and your running score. I wrote it when I was, uh, 15, I think.

And here's the other thing. It didn't win. I came in, like, third. Writing a voting application that DID A BETTER FUCKING JOB than our machines in the national elections, in FUCKING BASIC, when I was FIFTEEN, wasn't GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN A MINOR NERD COMPETITION.

Thus proving Jonsey's point: IT'S JUST NOT VERY FUCKING HARD.

So I've got to go with #3: unbelievable corruption.

Have you noticed that you haven't heard ANY stories of "I tried to vote Republican, and it went all Democrat on me?" Two possibilities immediately suggest themselves; take your pick.

#1) It DOESN'T FUCKING HAPPEN because the voting machines are rigged by Republicans who, you know, own Diebold and will deliver Ohio for Bush, or

#2) REPUBLICANS ARE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO NOTICE WHEN THEIR VOTES ARE CHANGED UNDER THEIR VERY NOSES

Amy and I decided not to vote early this year when we learned that early voting would be all touch-screen in St. Louis, but that we'd have optical-scan on Tuesday.

Bruce

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:01 am

Also, just for KNuckles:

Bruce

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:14 pm

I was actually shocked* when I discovered that New York was the LAST state that still uses actual voting machines. The big 800 pound monsters with bad drapes. I, whenever I thought about them at all, always thought they were kinda cool in a mechanical sort of way. Probably comes from voting days in grade school when they would wheel one into the main hall and we would all get a chance to use them. I guess on some of the more worn out machines the odometer-like number wheels will not rotate correctly resulting in counting errors. Luckily the place where I vote is inhabited by the elderly who have nothing to do but sit around smelling like stale piss and double count the tally after each voter.

(*well, not shocked, but mildly surprised, after all NY has the largest state income tax. I just assumed that they'd have the best voting equipment)

THE
WHAT A NOOB
AARDVARK