Here is my new car.

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Instead of two nice seats, you can get a used Geo Metro for $600 tops.

50 miles per gallon on 3 fun cylinders.

But it ain't gonna be a nice ride. Much like the "car" we're talking about.

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Jack Straw is the Johnny Miller of cars!
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Meaning, he tells it like he sees it!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:17 pm

And also meaning, he is an asshole who only gets through life by feeding his enormous ego in a public forum!

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:33 pm

(posting 3 times in a row trying to justify your latest waste of resources is NOT lame at all)

NOT AT ALL!

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Ben! What sort of sound system do you have in your NEW RIDE?

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:24 pm

A SWEET one!

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Would you please list other cars you were considering before ultimately settling on the Toyota Yaris? This'll be just like reading an issue of Marvel's What If?!

hygraed

Post by hygraed » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:24 pm

What kind of music do you like to listen to whilst rollin' in your debatably pimped ride?

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:34 pm

ChainGangGuy wrote:Would you please list other cars you were considering before ultimately settling on the Toyota Yaris? This'll be just like reading an issue of Marvel's What If?!
I considered three cars:

1. Toyota Prius. Pros: Hybrid, less gas, can take HOV lane even by yourself. Cons: Too pricey.

2. Used Toyota Corolla. Pros: Right price, dependable sedan, pretty much same car as the one I traded in. Cons: Pretty much same car as the one I traded in.

3. Yaris. Pros: Same price as used Corolla, cute as a button, new car smell. Cons: Knew I would have to withstand countless merciless attacks from Jolt Country members.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:39 pm

hygraed wrote:What kind of music do you like to listen to whilst rollin' in your debatably pimped ride?
I hastily threw some CDs in my CD holder this morning. The styles break down thusly:

EXTREME METAL
-----------------
Dillinger Escape Plan

HARD ROCK
-------------
Metallica
Audioslave
Rage Against This Here Machine
Static-X

NOT VERY HARD ROCK
------------------------
Mike Doughty
Beck

FUN HAPPY-TIME
-----------------
Jimmy Buffett

PRIMUS
--------
Primus

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 pm

pinback wrote: 1. Toyota Prius. Pros: Hybrid, less gas, can take HOV lane even by yourself. Cons: Too pricey.
great cars. why not pick up a used one? Especially the first gens were VERY reliable, being new technology Toyota had something to prove. Rumour says they actually LOST money on each well built car just to obtain market share in the elusive hybrid market. Getting one used eliminates the new car stealership tax.
2. Used Toyota Corolla. Pros: Right price, dependable sedan, pretty much same car as the one I traded in. Cons: Pretty much same car as the one I traded in.
This would have been the most intelligent choice. Either that or the chevy prizm, which is basically the same car with a different badge, but everyone knows that so the price difference isn't really worth it.
3. Yaris.
well, we know where we stand with that.

What was wrong with your old car anyway that would compel you to lose money? If you're just loaded and have money falling out your ass, that's fine. just say so.
however, your final decision indicates otherwise.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm sorry this bothers you so much, Jack! If this conversation is causing you this much stress, perhaps you would do better to enjoy one of JC BBS's many other fine bases and threads!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Jack Straw wrote:What was wrong with your old car anyway that would compel you to lose money? If you're just loaded and have money falling out your ass, that's fine. just say so. however, your final decision indicates otherwise.
The thing was $11K. His previous car had 133,000 miles! I don't remember exactly how long he had it, but let's say ten years. What more was he supposed to do with his old Prizm, bronze it?

Of all the people on the Internet to give shit to for being people gits with more money than sense, a guy who is a software developer in California who spent just $11,000 on a car is not one of them. I'm amazed over here. Are there any circumstance which warrant buying a new car, as far as you are concerned? Because having to deal with your typical craigslister on an automobile purchase (or even worse, a used car salesman) when you are not a car nut removes virtually all the advantages that used has over new.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

CO

Post by CO » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:29 pm

He should have gone with a used prius or other such hybrid. Living in Rochester I had no idea how valuable HOV lanes can be. Seattle's traffic isn't nearly as bad as California's but HOV lanes are fucking great at rush hour. I didn't know that hybrids can use HOV lanes with only one person. I've got to check out whether that is the case here, so thanks for the idea pinner. I may look into one for that reason, plus the idea of recapturing my braking energy on the way down all these damn hills.

Using an HOV lane without having to have my girlfriend in the car with me would be fucking priceless.

savvyraven

Post by savvyraven » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Wow...If Jack gets this bent out of shape over a golf cart...There are some serious ISSUES going on in that head! Dude, there are better things in life than money, you know....Jesus... That is about the saddest thing I've heard in a while. It's a friggin' car! (no offense, Pinner)

CO

Post by CO » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Damn, Washington state doesn't allow hybrids into HOV's with only one person. Their position is "We greatly appreciate and support everyone who makes an effort to help reduce oil consumption and keep our air clean. However, the main purpose of the HOV system is to move people. Fuel-efficient cars do not increase the number of people moved on a freeway HOV lane unless there is more than one person in the car."

So there goes half of a reason for me to get a hybrid. I'm seriously considering getting a motorcycle and learning the art of lane splitting.

CO

Post by CO » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Jack Straw is one of the few people on this board who can buy a couple of $500 Toyota MR2's, tear down and replace an engine, and have reliable and fun transportation for little money. He probably forgets that used cars are not as easy for those of us that are less genius.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 pm

CO wrote:He should have gone with a used prius or other such hybrid.
I would sooner slit my own throat, pull my tongue and smaller intestine out the opening and use them both as a sort of tie-down pulley system for driving a car than deal with a used car salesman.

(Except my father.)

(Who worked at Kodak for 25 years and got into the car business afterwards, because cars in all forms are his passion.)

(Who is now out of the used car business, which means he still has a soul. I know there is a double standard, but he's my dad.)

Plus, the man -- Ben -- owns a cyborg dog. I would appreciate everyone telling him to get a Prius, or a Prizm (which he had and was sick of) to tell me where the wheelchair-sitting dog goes in one of those automobiles. Use a screengrab and iSketch and show us.

The fact that his dog goes into a sidecar means there were three possible purchases for Pinback:

- A motorcycle
- The Millennium Falcon (thanks to its false floor)
- The Toyota Tardis, or whatever the fuck it's called
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:52 pm

savvyraven wrote:It's a friggin' car! (no offense, Pinner)
A friggin' awesome car!