Election 2004

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Human women

Post by Human women » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:05 pm

Worm wrote:I'm looking for a date.
No, we won't go out with you. Not in a million years.

Worm
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:53 am
Location: tucked away between the folds of your momma, safe

Post by Worm » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:05 pm

Human women wrote:
Worm wrote:I'm looking for a date.
No, we won't go out with you. Not in a million years.
Wait, isn't the point of gimmicks to achieved something with both comic grace and a witty flair that you could not say on your own? You know instead of just quoting that under your normal name and typing "FAT CHANCE BUB."!
Good point Bobby!

bruce
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:43 pm

Post by bruce » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:23 pm

Worm wrote:Wait, isn't the point of gimmicks to achieved something with both comic grace and a witty flair that you could not say on your own? You know instead of just quoting that under your normal name and typing "FAT CHANCE BUB."!
FAT CHANCE BUB.

Bruce

Bugs
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:50 pm
Location: Back Once Again

Post by Bugs » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:15 pm

pinback wrote: Well, I was speaking only of the presidential election.
My good friend pinback makes a disappointing and valid argument. With the electoral college (an exceedingly clever idea that has run its course), and a states such as New York solidly in one column or the other, one can feel its a feckless gesture to get out and vote.

My question, though, is this: If we were to go to a presidential election based on popular vote, would you still feel this way? Why or why not?

chris
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Hiding in the workshop

Post by chris » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:23 am

Bugs wrote: My good friend pinback makes a disappointing and valid argument. With the electoral college (an exceedingly clever idea that has run its course), and a states such as New York solidly in one column or the other, one can feel its a feckless gesture to get out and vote.
Exactly the reason why the Electoral College should be dissolved and we should go to a popular vote. The need for the states to keep some semblance of "sovereignty" during the election ended about 140 years ago, and it's INSANE that somebody could lose the popular vote and still become president.

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14285
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Post by pinback » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:31 pm

Bugs wrote:
pinback wrote: Well, I was speaking only of the presidential election.
My good friend pinback makes a disappointing and valid argument. With the electoral college (an exceedingly clever idea that has run its course), and a states such as New York solidly in one column or the other, one can feel its a feckless gesture to get out and vote.

My question, though, is this: If we were to go to a presidential election based on popular vote, would you still feel this way? Why or why not?
I would feel it several times more strongly, as then you are but one vote of 100 million, instead of 1 vote in (however many people are in your state.)

The single vote becomes that much more meaningless and insignificant.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

chris
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Hiding in the workshop

Post by chris » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:07 pm

pinback wrote:I would feel it several times more strongly, as then you are but one vote of 100 million, instead of 1 vote in (however many people are in your state.)

The single vote becomes that much more meaningless and insignificant.
What planet are you living on? A popular vote would make your vote MORE important. Here in NY, Kerry is pretty much guaranteed to take the state, so I can kinda understand why somebody might not get off of the couch to go vote for him. But in a POPULAR vote, you're voting on a NATIONAL basis, not a STATE basis....your vote IS more important. There would be no "battleground states"....ALL votes would be important.

Bugs
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:50 pm
Location: Back Once Again

Post by Bugs » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:11 pm

pinback wrote:I would feel it several times more strongly, as then you are but one vote of 100 million, instead of 1 vote in (however many people are in your state.)

The single vote becomes that much more meaningless and insignificant.
Wasn't your argument that the electoral college system renders a vote in a non-swing state meaningless? So if we abandoned the EC and went to straight popular vote, wouldn't the minute statistical significance be better than no significance at all?

Casual Observer
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by Casual Observer » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:43 pm

You guys are talking about two different things. Pinback is talking about the statistical value of the vote based on national or state numbers. Chris and others are taking about the emotional or motivational value of using popular versus EC. It's difficult to win or even settle an argument if you are discussing different things.

Guest

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:34 pm

Bugs wrote:
pinback wrote:I would feel it several times more strongly, as then you are but one vote of 100 million, instead of 1 vote in (however many people are in your state.)

The single vote becomes that much more meaningless and insignificant.
Wasn't your argument that the electoral college system renders a vote in a non-swing state meaningless?
No, it was not.

User avatar
pinback
Posts: 14285
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:00 pm
Contact:

Post by pinback » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:36 pm

Lemme try that again:

"No, it was not."

C. O. is correct in his assessment of the disjointed nature of our conversation.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

chris
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Hiding in the workshop

Post by chris » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:37 pm

Casual Observer wrote:You guys are talking about two different things. Pinback is talking about the statistical value of the vote based on national or state numbers. Chris and others are taking about the emotional or motivational value of using popular versus EC. It's difficult to win or even settle an argument if you are discussing different things.
You're missing the point. We started talking about the statistical significance of one vote, which DIFFERS between the current election system (Electoral College) and a system based on popular vote.

Oh, and while we're talking about elections, here's something for you pro-Nader guys to think about:

Nader wasn't turning in enough signatures in states to get himself on the ballot (we're talking about turning in 6,000 when he needs 25,000). Guess who got the signatures for him to get on the ballot? The Republicans. They think that if Nader is on the ticket, it'll siphon off enough votes to give Bush the victory.

The real issue here is that Nader could have rejected the Republican signatures, BUT DIDN'T. That's right, "Mr. The-Major-Parties-Suck-I'm-Better-Than-They-Are" threw away his core beliefs when it benefited him. Ya still wanna vote for this guy?

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 23001
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:28 pm

chris wrote:Ya still wanna vote for this guy?
Yes. John Kerry is still a douchebag. If I gave a damn about the Republican party I'd try to send them a message as well. Believe me, if McCain was running for President on another ticket, I'd vote for him as many times as I could.

The most evil guy to be President in the last... Jesus, ever, and the best they can do is John Kerry? Come on, now! That's awful.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bruce
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:43 pm

Post by bruce » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:53 pm

Our only hope is Zombie Reagan vs. Zombie JFK.

Bruce

Business Casual Observer
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:55 pm

Post by Business Casual Observer » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:16 pm

I think you're all disjointed and wrong.

Perhaps this thread would lighten up a bit if we all just went shopping for new polo shirts and khakis!

Lysander
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: East Bay, California.

Post by Lysander » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:34 am

NuCKlEs tHe CloWn wrote:Lysander- HAHAHA He lives in Alaska. Do they even have the right to vote there? Has any candidate ever visited the state? Does current President Bush even
know there is a state called Alaska?
In order: yes, no and no. I mean, we only have three votes in the stupid goddamn electorial college bullshit we use now, so there's no reason to. Seriously, if any candidate ever visited Alaska even once they would win our state approximately 1000000 to 0. That's how attention-starved we are up here. Tragic, really. Not that those three votes would, you know, make a single bit of difference, but I suppose that would be just simantics at this point. Besides, half the fucking country thinks we're in fucking Canada, fur Fuck's sake, and Bush's IQ is close to legal retardation, so considering how busy the man must be with kissing his trophy wife with the left side of his mouth while calling for traditional family vbalues with the right part and eroding our personal fredoms and telling the Iraqis, with pride, with sincerity, with heartfelt gratitude, not to burn their oil, I'm sure he doesn't have any time to spare on... AK? That's Arkansas, right? We will have our revenge, though. Oh, yes, we will. You just wait--when World War III starts and finishes we will be the last mufuckahs standing, because not only will no one care to bomb us to nonexistance but any stray missiles that accidentally head our way will be immediately and judiciously shot down by the biggest baddest missile defense system in the country. And what else are they going to do? Storm our world war II bunkers island by island? Please.
nUKclEs thE cLOwn wrote:My guess is after Bush gets re-elected he will pull all the oil out of that freezer box and tell the Russians "Here
you go, have it back, good fucking riddance" Other than when the Russians repeal the Caribou protection act, nobody will notice.
Ah, yes. The cold mock and the caribou mock in the same sentence. Truly, you are a master of teh comedy. I bow to your simply amazing, ceaseless flow of originality. And I resent the implication that Alaska is useless. In the coming invasion of Canada (and it is coming, oh, yes, I am on the "inside track", so I know these things--Johnny A, take me awaaaaaay!) Alaska--especially my particular, ah, slice of it--will be intigral to America's plans. So--you mentioned the caribou, what about the moose? Does that mean I get to terminate all polar bears with extreme prejudice? Or am I limited to submission via wrestling only? The people of Mother America need to know!

PS: GODDAMN I AM FUCKING TIRED
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

danzaland
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:48 am
Location: Rochester
Contact:

Post by danzaland » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:21 am

Worm wrote:I'm looking for a date. You can keep on harping police state into '06. I want a motherfucking date so I can come back to this board and ask where my police state is.
What am i fucking Kreskin? I don't have an exact date. Hell I don't even know if the globalists do. With as many people waking up to what governments are doing I would think that any plans have to be carefully laid out. I really wish I knew an exact date, becasue if I did I would be all over trying to get the word out. Technically speaking we have been in a police state for a while now. Just look at any protests in teh last 2-3 years, hell even WTO 99 in Seattle. You couldn't be within 10 blocks of the convention center. Now at the DNC in Boston, teh protest zones are blocks away, under train tracks and are fenced in with tarps over the top of them, and don't take the controlled media images at face value. The fences they have been showing are just what surround the Center. http://www.guerrillanews.com/government/doc4915.html
Just look at the emdia around you. The show 24 shows torture, The Shield shows cops being bad asses, so Cops see these shows and think that this is how things should be done.
http://www.emmys.org/emmymag/june04/military.php


http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/G ... 21,00.html

Look at some titles and content of tv shows and movies
Big Brother, demistified as a tv show
MATRIX a movie title and a tracking system

http://truthout.org/docs_03/092603I.shtml

Dreamcatcher put forth the idea of rounding up Americans for their safety. Just watch your media and think about the spin on it


Check out these movies:
http://gnn.tv/sterling/ Robert Sterling
http://gnn.tv/stauber/ John Stauber
http://gnn.tv/newsvideo/archive.html Movie archive

danzaland
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:48 am
Location: Rochester
Contact:

Post by danzaland » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:27 am

As far as Alaska goes, Get off it Cuntles the Klown.
It is my understanding you do not ned a permit to carry a firearm in the state, but they will issue you one so you can get a permit in another state.

N(orth) K(orean) Missile Warhead Found in Alaska
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/ ... 311970.htm

User avatar
Knuckles the CLown
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Shaker Heights, OH

Post by Knuckles the CLown » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Lysander, if you want the funny live somewhere where there are more than two things to make fun of. I DEEM THIS THREAD OVER!
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

Bugs2lazy

Post by Bugs2lazy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:57 pm

No fucking reaction to Thursday night's speech?! What's up with that?

Post Reply