Three weeks

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Casual Observer

Re: Three weeks

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm
He's right, if it's under warranty it's dealer or no deal. Other than that go to a locally owned place where they know their stuff. I've been using S&D Automotive for the last 25 years and they're tops. Of course you have to schedule two weeks out because they're so busy but they own the place and they answer the phone themselves so you always talk right to the top banana. They know me by name and usually can cut me a break if it's a semi-emergency.

THE
BROKEN FRASIK RIPPILATOR
AARDVARK

and I have one of those select-a-gear knobs in my new car, pretty cool.
I had the best "guy" on Rochester before I left. He was on Lyell ave and super cheap. He would accept used parts and always have fair prices. He would even sell me an inspection sticker for $40 without even looking at the car. He had aids so is probably dead now.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 am

Where on Lyell Ave?

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:43 am

We have a local Honda place called Hondura that only works on Honda and Acuras (thus the name). We were so pleased with the service they provided on our Honda Odyssey that it influenced us to buy another Honda, just so we could keep using the place.

Next to the service window is a picture of the owner's CRX that says "200,000 miles." That number has been crossed out and below that it says "300,000 miles." That number has also been crossed out; below that is 400,000, 500,000, 600,000, 700,000, and finally 750,000 miles. The sign hasn't been updated in several years so I suspect the CRX finally gave up the ghost, and I can't believe it had very many original parts remaining when it finally died, but it's still pretty impressive.

My dad often talks about the good ol' days of finding and using a shade tree mechanic, but I've never found a guy that I could use long term, and all of my cars contain too many computers at this point to probably use one. I would also like to find a good paint and body guy that could knock out dents old-school instead of wanting to replace entire fenders and paint the entire car.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:50 am

There was a quote some years back about how all white collar crime will be computer crimes in the future because computers will be so prevalent. This is true for car repairs as well, my repair guys complain about it quite a bit. They are always having to take new classes on how to do modern repairs. Actually they tell me it's more just changing out parts until everything's fixed, the computers just tell them where to look.

THE
STEP ONE REMOVE ENGINE
STEP TWO CHANGE SPARK PLUGS
STEP THREE REPLACE ENGINE
AARDVARK

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 am

AArdvark wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 am
Where on Lyell Ave?
226 lyell ave. Looks like it's still a car shop but I'd be surprised if it's still the same guy. Says New York Auto Depot now.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am

Flack wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:43 am
I would also like to find a good paint and body guy that could knock out dents old-school instead of wanting to replace entire fenders and paint the entire car.
That's easy, just spend enough time in a WalMart parking lot with the car that needs dents removed and sure enough a guy will come up to you and offer to knock that out "right now". Right now is a big thing for those guys, presumably so they can go and get their crack/meth. They usually do have the ability though and often have the tools in their trunk.

Otherwise, Craigslist has worked for me a few times to get a cheap driveway mechanic for simple stuff like brake jobs or oil changes.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Well, my car has a P0018 code - Crank Position Intake Cam 2 Position Correlation. I guess. They needed to flush the oil first ... now they need it for a week to fix it. I am mostly writing this down because JC BBS is sometimes my diary.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Wow, a week to fix it, that's crazy. Is it a part they have to order or are they just working on it for a few minutes a day?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Ha! I should have asked that. The gal on the phone (who was actually really nice in person when I met with her) said that they do need to get a part and she had to book a particular mechanic to do it. They are getting me an Outback as a car until mine is done. I will be able to contribute to your thread!

So, they did want to charge me $150 for flushing the oil and they said that the warrant would take effect "after." My argument is basically, I had the oil changed at the dealership. What kind of job did they do? Are we sure they changed the oil to begin with? What kind of car breaks down like this after 10,000 miles?

I might just see if it's possible to register a complaint or something with Subaru themselves. We'll see how bad the repair gets. I think if you buy a new car, don't some places give you some free oil changes as just one of the things they do when you buy a new car from them?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Hey Jonsey, how was the Outback for you? No WRX fun I'm sure.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 pm

I am actually still driving it, in theory my car should be ready tomorrow, but we'll see.

So, the Outback had 594 miles on it or something when I got it. New cars are like pizza - even bad pizza is awesome. I have never seen a new car that wasn't also awesome in that way. Since it's clean and has new car smell and everything is tidy and shiny the experience can't be THAT bad. So in that respect it is great.

I would never buy an Outback myself or get into a situation if I could help it where I had to drive one again. Handles like a cow in a swamp. I am getting cut off constantly, partly because the thing has no pickup and partly because nobody respects it. It handles like shit, drives like shit, SM X Sirius Satellite Radio is also complete shit.

I realized my chief priority in a car is to not let other people get over on me. So I did learn something about myself.

Oh, the one the dealer gave me had a small window crack that has grown in the last two weeks. So F Minus for that.

So overall:

This particular Outback: A+
Outbacks in general: F
Car windows: F-
Being without my own vehicle: F
Life In General: A+, we LOVE LIFE HERE IN JOLT COUNTRY!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 pm
I am actually still driving it, in theory my car should be ready tomorrow, but we'll see.

So, the Outback had 594 miles on it or something when I got it. New cars are like pizza - even bad pizza is awesome. I have never seen a new car that wasn't also awesome in that way. Since it's clean and has new car smell and everything is tidy and shiny the experience can't be THAT bad. So in that respect it is great.

I would never buy an Outback myself or get into a situation if I could help it where I had to drive one again. Handles like a cow in a swamp. I am getting cut off constantly, partly because the thing has no pickup and partly because nobody respects it. It handles like shit, drives like shit, SM X Sirius Satellite Radio is also complete shit.

I realized my chief priority in a car is to not let other people get over on me. So I did learn something about myself.

Oh, the one the dealer gave me had a small window crack that has grown in the last two weeks. So F Minus for that.

So overall:

This particular Outback: A+
Outbacks in general: F
Car windows: F-
Being without my own vehicle: F
Life In General: A+, we LOVE LIFE HERE IN JOLT COUNTRY!
I agree 100% with every criticism you mention.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:52 pm

So, it's the little things that bug me.

I had to call on Monday to ask for an update on my car. They hung up on me. I called back. They said "definitely by Friday."

While I hate the Outback, I didn't want to navigate Friday traffic but I will now have to call them tomorrow to get an update on a car that needed 3 weeks for an appointment and now two solid weeks for them to fix it. I would think they would have a process in place to call the owner when the day they said was the absolute latest zooms by.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 am

As it turns out, a cam sprocket had to be replaced. They implied that they "took the engine out." But that can't be right, can it?

Also, question for everyone here - would you expect a dealer working on your car under warranty to set the clock of your car after they were done with it? Just taking a poll.

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 am

Replacing a cam sprocket is way beyond my skill level, so I went to YouTube and typed "wrx cam sprocket removal" and the first five videos that came up all had the engine removed. So... maybe?

The dealer that fake looked at my transmission recently left the paper floor mats in the floorboard and did not readjust the seat so... maybe?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:40 am

Yeah, I got snippets. They did mention "removing the engine" ... nnnngh. I guess they did.

The Black Manta II does run really nice right now, I will give them that.

My dad wants me to immediately sever the car. And sell it. Or trade it in. Kind of tempting. It's got 11,000 miles, it's 2018 that I bought in September of 2017. He thinks there are metal shavings running all over the car now. Like Clippy, but made of metal. Wait, that made no sense.

It would mean having a car payment for another five years. And I kind of want to get this one paid off so I can buy my wife a new Jeep.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:13 am

I would love to own another WRX, but can't afford a 2018. But if you end up giving it away like the motorcycle, hit me up.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:31 pm

You will be first in line if that happens. I should have given Mason my 2006 WRX!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 pm

They didn’t reset the clock after disconnecting the battery? Unacceptable!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 pm

I know, right? ChainGangGuy! Bugs! Molly Muffsweet! What do YOU expect when you take your car in and they remove the engine? Reset clock or nah?