A special kind of outlook on the world

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

AArdvark

A special kind of outlook on the world

Post by AArdvark » Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm

So there's this guy at work. He's what you might call a conservative. I can tell just from the stuff printed on his T-shirts.
He's a nice guy though. So for whatever reason we started talking about tires, don't know what started the conversation.
He mentions that his son has a 79 Ford Bronco. I asked: didn't they stop making them? He says they're coming out with new ones next year. I think that's just an online rumor*, they've been saying that on FB for years, but I don't say it out loud, I just nod. Then he says that his son's Bronco will start right up if 'they' set off an EMP, because there's no computers in the truck. I think to myself that's a weird place to go; 'them' setting off an EMP when we were just talking about cars. I casually ask who 'they' are and is he really worried about it. He says you never know, a couple of those EMPs in the right place and we'd all be right back in the stone age. But he's ready, got his bugout bag handy and enough ammunition to last for a long time. That's great I tell him and mention how I should get back to work.

So if the guy becomes disgruntled and goes all postal you know I saw it coming.

THE
FOREWARNED
AARDVARK

*son of a bitch, I guess Ford IS coming out with a new version of the Bronco, huh.

bryanb

Re: A special kind of outlook on the world

Post by bryanb » Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 pm

I feel like I'm filling CO's role here by saying this, but I have to point out that there's a popular late night radio show called Coast to Coast AM that just happens to cover the topic of EMPs fairly regularly. The gist of each episode is basically, "We're all doomed unless we harden the grid and all electronics NOW!" It's the Metapod solution essentially -- we harden or we die. And of course the government doesn't take the threat seriously enough so we won't harden and thus we're all going to die. So AArdvark's coworker might just be a night owl who trusts George Noory a little too much rather than any sort of danger to society. Let's just hope he doesn't find 4chan.

That said, electromagnetic pulses are a real thing and can be caused by natural phenomena like lightning. I'm not aware of any natural EMP causing widespread damage which doesn't mean it couldn't happen under some circumstances. The subject gets tinfoilly when you throw in the idea that a foreign country or domestic or international bad actor is going to seek to deliberately induce an EMP with nuclear or non-nuclear weapons. A nuclear EMP is essentially a nuclear attack which will invoke a nuclear response. You don't go, "Hmm, it looks we're being nuked, but I think they're just trying to destroy our TVs so it's no big whoop." When it comes to non-nuclear EMP weapons, the trouble is their existence is speculative. Maybe we've got them, maybe they've got them, maybe nobody has them. If they exist, they may cause only localized damage and may not actually be very effective in practice.

But take everything I've said with a grain of salt. My analysis is largely based on the assumption that 88% of everything said during EMP segments on Coast to Coast AM is highly exaggerated and quite possibly false. If I'm wrong, we need Faraday cages around everything right now.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Are you just testing the waters to see how we react to "this guy from work"?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Isn't it unironic that the same radio station plays both Coast to Coast and Rush Limbaugh at least here? Low info voters is the connection. c2C is a blast though, like a radio version of a circus freakshow, im addicted. Shall we talk about shadow people too?

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 am

The second season of the Headlong Podcast (the guys behind "Missing Richard Simmons" was all about Y2K. One on of the first episodes (there are only six, I think) they interview the guy who coined the term "Y2K" and another guy (his name escapes me) who essentially saw Y2K as a way to print his own money by first drumming up fear and then selling "the cure" in the form of software that he admittedly "had no idea if it did anything or not."

If anything had happened the night of Y2K, I would have been woefully unprepared. I worked with a self-avowed "prepper" at the time who, like 'Vark's co-worker, was deadly serious about the possibility of Y2K. It wasn't "if" something would happen, but "what" and "how bad." This was a guy I worked with everyday and liked who told me he was burying food and ammunition in plastic tubs near his home "just in case." And I guess the only reason history sees him as a nut and me as normal is because nothing happened that night. If it had, he would be living in the forest based on his planning and survival skills and I would be dead because I couldn't Google "how to purify water."

The problem with Y2K was, I wasn't convinced nothing would happen. I hoped nothing would happen, and figured nothing would happen, but I wasn't sure, which makes me the worst. I mean, the people who were sure something would happen prepared for it, and the people who were sure nothing would happen refused to prepare for it, but... I thought something "might" happen, but didn't prepare for it.

That's how I am about EMP weapons, and a lot of other things. (They tell me Google is slurping all my info and I'm like... "eh, probably.") You've got these guys who are convinced we'll see an EMP attack someday, and they are ready with their old Ford Broncos. And then there are people who think that's silly, and do nothing. And then there's me who thinks, "eh, I guess it could happen?" but still drives a modern car because old cars are inconvenient and require more maintenance than I'm willing to give.

It is interesting though, if you think about it, that "reality" is different for different people. A guy who makes vehicle decisions based on whether or not someday our country will be hit with an EMP blast is living in a very different reality from me. Only one of us is right.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 am

Flack wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 am
The problem with Y2K was, I wasn't convinced nothing would happen. I hoped nothing would happen, and figured nothing would happen, but I wasn't sure, which makes me the worst. I mean, the people who were sure something would happen prepared for it, and the people who were sure nothing would happen refused to prepare for it, but... I thought something "might" happen, but didn't prepare for it.
Y2K was a nothingburger because the folks who ran important stuff in IT got ahead of the problem for several years before it. My first project in IT sales was calling on health care organizations and quizzing them about Y2k readiness, they were for the most part already remediated at least a year and a half early. The media loves ginning people up so that's mostly what it was.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm
So there's this guy at work. He's what you might call a conservative. I can tell just from the stuff printed on his T-shirts.
He's a nice guy though. So for whatever reason we started talking about tires, don't know what started the conversation.
He mentions that his son has a 79 Ford Bronco. I asked: didn't they stop making them? He says they're coming out with new ones next year. I think that's just an online rumor*, they've been saying that on FB for years, but I don't say it out loud, I just nod. Then he says that his son's Bronco will start right up if 'they' set off an EMP, because there's no computers in the truck. I think to myself that's a weird place to go; 'them' setting off an EMP when we were just talking about cars. I casually ask who 'they' are and is he really worried about it. He says you never know, a couple of those EMPs in the right place and we'd all be right back in the stone age. But he's ready, got his bugout bag handy and enough ammunition to last for a long time. That's great I tell him and mention how I should get back to work.
My understanding of EMP's comes entirely from James Bonds' View to a Kill and the Matrix. Per those experts, apparently a nuclear bomb exploding in space above the earth would create an EMP pulse that would destroy microchips. Seems to me though that if there are nuclear bombs flying then my cell phone and car aren't probably my biggest problems.

Course your guy's is right about the Bronco, don't forget that a brown ford bronco was the vehicle of choice of Sara Conner in Terminator 2 so it must be ready for nuclear war. I had a boss once with an 85 Ford F-150 that just stopped running one day. He ripped out the computer and gave it a tune up and good to go. I kinda miss those simple kinds of machines.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 pm

EMP would be a by-product of a nuclear bomb, sure, but the goal would be to [a] set off an EMP weapon that has the same effect on electronics without setting off a nuclear weapon, and/or a targeted EMP attack from afar. The former scenario could involve someone setting off an EMP-style weapon at say a telecommunications plant and destroying it, while the latter could be an EMP beam from a missile or plane launched against a specific target. The problem with both of these scenarios is that traditional explosives/bombs would do the same damage and are a lot cheaper and easier to obtain. Why go through the trouble of setting off an EMP bomb next to a data center when a few pounds of C4 would have the same effect?

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Also I would like to add that Al Cowlings was able to keep the entire LAPD at bay in a white Ford Bronco without even speeding so in regards to evading captors, it seems legit.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Well the guy does work nights so it's possible he listens to C2c.
I haven't talked to him since, not that I'm avoiding him, we just had been working near each other.

In other somewhat related news, one of the inspectors always carries a second,locked lunchbox. He told me it's his personal protection. I seem to be working with a lot of paranoids.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 29, 2019 7:21 pm

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 pm
c2C is a blast though, like a radio version of a circus freakshow, im addicted. Shall we talk about shadow people too?
Definitely. We should start a C2C thread so we can provide a running commentary on all the insanity that airs on a nightly basis. I don't listen to every episode, but I'd definitely contribute whenever I do tune in. The only problem is we don't have a radio base. INJUSTICE!

Did you hear George's mom on the last episode? It was her birthday so George talked to her on the air for a bit. She came across as being a very religious 90 year old which made me wonder what she really thinks of Coast to Coast. Does she think George is going to Hell because he dabbles in the paranormal? I have a feeling that they've had that actual conversation as George seemed a little nervous the whole time they were talking. The staff of the show's gift for George's mom was playing one of those customized happy birthday songs based on the person's name that you can order on sites like Fiverr very cheaply. Kind of lame, and George seemed determined to make sure everyone knew it was the staff's idea, not his. "Mom, I had NOTHING to do with the song! The staff had to have been the ones who put in all those Satanic references!"

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Flack wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 am
That's a pretty sensible outlook really, and I felt similarly about Y2K at the time. We can't protect ourselves against every threat -- heck, we can't even recognize or assess every threat. I'm sure we all have stuff we should be preparing for that we're not, but our time and attention are finite. We have to pick and choose what we're going to worry about and what we're going to plan for. Something like EMPs we can't really do anything to prevent on an individual level, and even if we prepared ourselves like AArdvark's coworker our lives would still really suck in the event of an actual EMP attack no matter what. It's probably a good thing that some people out there are worried about EMPs (thankfully some of these people are hard at work at the DoD rather than driving around smugly in 1979 Ford Broncos), but I feel comfortable focusing more on the issues that are more likely to affect my daily life.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Flack wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:40 pm
Also I would like to add that Al Cowlings was able to keep the entire LAPD at bay in a white Ford Bronco without even speeding
That's true. He didn't want to get a ticket or as we later learned, framed for a double homicide.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 pm
Isn't it unironic that the same radio station plays both Coast to Coast and Rush Limbaugh at least here?
WMAL in Washington DC ran a guy who was clearly leftist immediately after Rush. WMAL's website says it's Larry O'Connor.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites

Tdarcos

Y2k and EMPs

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 am

Y2k was a nonevent because a lot of people spent a lot of money to fix a problem of trying to save a little money by using six-digit dates.

EMPs are not a thing worth worrying about. As much as some people might shout "Death to America," nobody wants the US reduced to a third-world country until its grid can be fixed. First, it would make things worse in most parts of the world. Second, the combined anger of the American people would be much worse than 9/11and would mandate an equivalent response: the third use of a nuclear weapon for military purposes. Anyone having the capacity of using an EMP is aware of this. There really is no upside to pissing off - or pissing on - the United States.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites