Do you know how to drive a stick and why?

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Do you know how to drive a stick shift?

I don't know how to drive
No votes
Only on my 10-speed bicycle
No votes
No, automatic transmission only
11%
Yes, on a car only
78%
Yes, on a commercial truck or bus only
No votes
Yes, on car and truck or bus
11%

Total votes: 9

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am

Hey! Post editing works!

I have decided to post one trial post outside the Troll Room to show I can say something on topic and relevant.
What I want to know is if you know how to drive a stick and why. I'll tell my story.

I learned to drive in 1977 after taking lessons and got my license in California. I drove cars only and only automatic. The most I knew about manual transmission was what Robert Blake in the movie Coast to Coast explained how to drive an 18-wheeler in the simplest terms: "Clutch, Shift, Release."

Sometime in the early 1990s my sister was having foot surgery and would need someone to run errands for her as she would be unable to drive (or walk much) for a month after surgery. Only problem was her car was a manual transmission and I did not know how to drive a stick. So she taught me and eventually I learned. I got to use her car to drive to work while I was staying over at her place because of the much longer commute if I had to take the bus.

I ended up having to pay her $400 because I damaged the clutch from improper shifting. I learned to do better in later cars I owned.

I was hit in an accident and my car was totalled. I bought a really nice maroon Taurus SHO from a guy in Fredericksburg VA, and to get home I would have a problem since there was at that time no public transportation there. So I borrowed my sister's minivan, and me and my girlfriend Geannie went over there to get it after I test drove it. Now, once the guy took my money, and gave me the title, he scraped the tax sticker off the windshield and removed the plates, which was to be expected. So, Geannie drove the van back home (she does not know how to drive a stick), I followed her (or maybe drove in front to hide the car having no plates.) The weird thing was I was fully insured since Geico accepts phone orders 24/7 even though the DMV isn't open evenings.

That car was a stick shift and I loved it. It was fun even when someone else was driving. A short time later Geannie was in the passenger seat, I was in the back seat, fully belted in, and Geannie's brother Shane was driving on I-95 and later on some back roads, and I think he maxed out the speedometer at 125. A few weeks later I had an accident and totaled it. And no, at the time I had the accident I was driving normal speed, about 55. I still feel sad about ruining the best car I ever owned.

I still remember the personalized plate I got: VBASIC .
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites

Billy Mays

Re: Do you know how to drive a stick and why?

Post by Billy Mays » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 am

I don't feel it's fair that you consider yourself "able to drive a stick" when every story of you doing so ends in the destruction of that vehicle.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 am
I don't feel it's fair that you consider yourself "able to drive a stick" when every story of you doing so ends in the destruction of that vehicle.
Haha! Finally! Something funny! Sorry Paul, but I was sort of coming to the same conclusion there.

I learned how to drive a stick shift when I was 17. My first vehicle was automatic and I tore it up pretty bad (but never got in a "real accident" with it on the road). The last time I banged into a stationary object with it while trying to burn a tick on my sun visor it was messed up pretty bad, so I sold it.

Nothing to drive at that point except my dad's truck.. which is stick shift. His idea was I get some time over about 2 weeks getting the feel for the clutch in a gravel parking lot at a church next door. Learning on gravel basically forced me to be smooth with the clutch or I would stall out or fling rocks like a madman if I didn't.

My next 2 vehicles were manual drive and I think it actually made driving safer for me. Forces you to pay attention more in my opinion.

Only wore out 1 clutch in my vehicles.. the one in my Honda Prelude. And that was after 125k + miles on it. On the other hand.. I drove a 1980s Ford Ranger for a delivery company from 1998-1999 and burnt out TWO clutches. In that case, the truck was just a piece of shit.

Oh! And I could smoke a cigarette, steer, and change gears with only my hand while I let my left arm hang out the window! But on the lame side.. I've been driving a hand-me-down 1998 Toyota Tacoma automatic for the past 10+ years after the 1990 Honda Prelude finally bit the dust. Nice to have something with room for arcade games and surfboards but oh man am I getting sick of driving it.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Don't know how to make this interesting. I learned on a one-ton Chevy pickup because that was one of the cars my parents owned at the time. Learning on a truck teaches you to be better about slipping the clutch because it is nowhere near as forgiving as a car. Later I went across country with a friend to help him buy a sports car, the idea being I could show him how to drive a clutch on the way back while his girlfriend got stuck driving my shitty Hyundai back home behind us. (Sometimes WAAAY behind us, because the first thing you want to do with a car that hits 110 in 2nd is see what happens with the other four gears.) later on, I bought that car and have been driving it now and again in the summer months when I can. With the way things are today, that stick is actually a better theft deterrent than the actual anti-theft systems the car came with.

Driving larger vehicles is the exact same process, only with much more precision needed and a fuck-ton more gears.

Protip for clutch wear: during the time you have the clutch in and are down-shifting with your hand you're supposed to be using your right foot to blap the throttle to place the engine rpm to where the wheels will be spinning the transmission. In my car it's roughly 2k higher than when I started the shift. This means the pressure plate and clutch are moving at the same speed, so no clutch material is burned off bringing the two to lock-up. If you are pretending to be a RACE CAR DRIVER the ball of your right foot is braking while your heel hits the gas because you waited until the last possible moment before you need to turn. This is what's call "Heel-and-toe" and is done because the lurch of the engine and transmission spinning differently will upset the balance of the car just before the turn which is exactly bad.

P.S. The wikipedia article for heel-and-toe has a model demonstrating it in stockings and high-heels because they are all insane perverts.

P.P.S due to CAFE rules you can no longer get anything that REMOTELY fills the small pickup role of a 98 Tacoma. You look at what kind of trucks they make today and you treasure that motherfucker, Jiz.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am
Hey! Post editing works!
You can pay me $10 for the time I took to enable it. Thanks!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Learned stick in a '76 Chevy Vega. It always smelled funny, like gas, hot motor oil and baloney. Next standard car was a '90 Ford Explorer. Used up the clutch in five years. We bought it used so it's not my fault. Next standard was the Saturn SL1, which we called the pizzacar, because pizza delivery cars always looked like shit and so did this one. Drove that till it fell apart, my knees weren't far behind so I switched to all automatic all the time. And here I am now.

THE
HYDROMATIC
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm

What symptoms are there when you use up the clutch?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 pm

It's kind of misleading because the car I drove after the car my sister owned was a Geo Prism with a manual transmission, that I drove for four years until I was rear ended on US Route 1 in Stafford, VA by a guy who didn't notice I was stopped in the left lane with my signal on because I was turning left into the street I lived on. This was the car I ended up replacing with the Taurus SHO I mentioned in my original article.

Later I drove a Jeep with manual for about three years and never once made a mistake.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 pm

quote="Ice Cream Jonsey" post_id=93862 time=1507769306 user_id=3]
[/quote]slipping. You're in gear, giving it gas, engine is revving up but it ain't getting to the wheels in direct proportion.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am

Yup, that's basically what happens. Another possibility is the clutch fails in a way that basically turns it into a "switch". You have no smoothness at all and the clutch easily just goes straight to the floor and you end up with VERY rough gear-changing. This happened with my Prelude. The mechanic explained why this happened but I don't recall now.
The Happiness Engine wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm
P.P.S due to CAFE rules you can no longer get anything that REMOTELY fills the small pickup role of a 98 Tacoma. You look at what kind of trucks they make today and you treasure that motherfucker, Jiz.
Heh yeah I get offers to sell the truck all the time. Pretty sure after I get something more fun to drive one day, I'll still hold on to the ol' Tacoma. It's been very reliable. The only major repairs it's had is having the gas line replaced and the ignition replaced. Just sooo boring driving the thing.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

Tdarcos wrote:
How did you possibly fit in a GEO Prizm or a SHO? My last boss wasn't even your size and he couldn't fit in a new Jeep Cherokee. When my wife's fat Aunt got into my old GEO Prizm the entire thing leaned to her side, did you experience something similar?

Of course we all know how to drive a stick, we're men and we're not fucking millennials. My dad taught me to drive a stick in 1984 when I was 10 years old in a 1976 toyota corolla on my driveway. My parents still only drive stick and will never consider an automatic. In fact, they still think automatics are as horrible as they were in the 70's. They still think you loose all kinds of power to the torque converter or can't rock back and forth to get unstuck. It's sad they'll never have the enjoyment of a morning commute without having to put down the coffee for shifting. I do like driving a stick when i'm not stuck in traffic so no manual for my daily driver as long as I'm living in California. Plus, my wife won't learn to drive a stick so I'll have to wait until I can get the Porsche I've always wanted.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm
You must be super responsible and get all the recommended maintenance because I can't believe you kept that old STI as long as you did without going through at least one clutch. With that much power and driving around mountains if your clutch was going I'm sure you would know it.
Later I went across country with a friend to help him buy a sports car. . . .
Damn you for leaving us hanging about this. Pls to be telling us what kind of sports car.
I learned about that on Regular Cars. I've always wanted a small toyota 4X4 or a 4Runner with a stick shift, maybe someday i'll get a beater for fun.

I've got a (only slightly) more interesting question: Has anyone here driven a stick without a working clutch?

I did. I had a '73 Chevy LUV ("Light Utility Vehicle" made by Isuzu, banana yellow with a blue tailgate) that lost it's master clutch cylinder while I was an hour away from home. I pushed it to get rolling, feathered the gas so the engine matched speed and "clunk" pushed the stick into second. Changing gears was easier, let up on the gas and pull it out of gear, match engine rev and clunk it into next one. This only worked because the transmission was totally beat and the synchros were for shit.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am

Hey sysop, the banana feature's broken!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

My 2004 was just a regular WRX and yeah, I'm boring with them. :/

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm

What the...

Why is there a banana feature here to begin with?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 pm

RealNC wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm
What the...

Why is there a <font color="yellow"><b>banana</b></font> feature here to begin with?

So b anana automatically turns yellow and bold, because b anana.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Hey! Post editing works!
You can pay me $10 for the time I took to enable it. Thanks!
Job isn't finished; it's not working on all other bases here. Since you failed to get it working completely, I'm not paying.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm
You must be super responsible and get all the recommended maintenance because I can't believe you kept that old STI as long as you did without going through at least one clutch. With that much power and driving around mountains if your clutch was going I'm sure you would know it.
Yeah, you'll know because you'll feel the clutch "slipping." It's literally not able to get enough friction with the pressure plate to lock up. Engine will rev but car doesn't go.
Later I went across country with a friend to help him buy a sports car. . . .
Casual Observer wrote:
Damn you for leaving us hanging about this. Pls to be telling us what kind of sports car.
Yeah, I knew that was a bit bitchy of me. It's a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Intake, turbo-back exhaust, BOV, and just finished an EXTENSIVE rebuild for all the fucking million fluid lines that were rusting out. When they die I'll put real turbos on it instead of the tiny ones it came with.
Casual Observer wrote:
I learned about that on Regular Cars. I've always wanted a small toyota 4X4 or a 4Runner with a stick shift, maybe someday i'll get a beater for fun.
Well yeah, a small truck is about mpg and hauling junk. Regular Car Reviews is amazing.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am
Hey sysop, the <font color="yellow"><b>banana</b></font> feature's broken!
It's not broken, it's BBCode which means you put it in [ brackets ]; < and > are for HTML.
Hey sysop, the banana feature's broken!
Looks like it isn't.

Using BBCode instead of HTML is like driving a manual trans: you have to know to shift modes.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 am

How can you fail to understand even this? Paul? How is it possible to be so 100% clueless on every single thing that occurs on this BBS, even with something as trivial and simple as the broken banana functionality?

HOW is this possible?
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am

Look, you showed HTML code, and you asked why it did not work. What you should have said was that the feature that automatically colors the word "banana" yellow doesn't work.

Does the bbs still change the name Filippe J. Suckmonger (T-u-r-n-e-r) into something else? Yes it does. Don't know why bhut jolokia it does.