Foods I Could Eat Every Day

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

it's pretty much the exact same thing as you'd get in a 'restaurant'.
Which is somewhat disconcerting - yet tasty!!!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm headed to Chicago this weekend plan on having White Castles at least twice, once in St. Louis and once in Chicago.

My kids know how to roll.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

That picture makes me happy.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

That picture makes me HUNGRAY

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's the story behind the picture.

(By the way, I have a story behind everything. I even have stories behind some of my stories.)

My dad was born and raised on the south side of Chicago. After high school he joined the Air Force, transferred around a few places, and ended up in Oklahoma. He still considers himself a "Chicagoan" (sp?), even though he lived there for 18 years, moved around for 2 years, and has lived in Oklahoma for 41 years. I, on the other hand, was born and raised an Okie. Other than a brief (18 month) stint in Washington, I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life.

I lived at home for 18 years and every summer we took a road trip to Chicago to visit dad's family. Each year we went with our "Chicago Food Checklist". Chicago hot dogs? Check. Chicago pizza? Check. Beef Sammiches? Check. And, of course, White Castles ... Check.

Before the debut of frozen sliders, the two closest White Castle locations to me were St. Louis (494 miles) or Memphis (507 miles). So basically, as a kid, I got to have White Castles once a year. We would pile into the car once a summer early in the morning, drive north, and hit St. Louis around lunch time. We would all eat a million sliders and all have a great time and then all complain about stomach aches and fight over who got to take the first crap at the next roadside bathroom. Good times.

If I actually lived NEAR a White Castle I'm not sure I would really like them. For me it's the novelty of the thing. Those memories of eating them with family and grandma and aunts and uncles or having my dad teach me the secret of their secret sauce (one part mustard, one part ketchup!).

So fast forward to last year. The roles have changed. Now I am the one driving to Chicago to visit family. Dad rides shotgun, the wife rides in the back with the kids. I took Mason to White Castle for lunch one time and really built it up. It was more than a meal, it was a tradition. He took his first bite, spit it out, and said, "Yuck!"

I was crushed. My kid's a picky eater (he's seven -- I think all seven year olds are picky eaters). So anyway I did what any father would do. I told him that not liking White Castle was unacceptable and that we would be going back every day until he ate one. On day two we discovered the "Chicken Sliders" which were enough like a real slider to appease me, and enough like a giant chicken McNugget to make him happy. So, win/win -- and, the picture above.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote:So anyway I did what any father would do. I told him that not liking White Castle was unacceptable and that we would be going back every day until he ate one.
My dad did the same thing with me when I was 14, except it was with a brothel. :(
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also! I was teased for being a picky eater by my aunt one of the last times we spoke. She was right - when I was a kid, I would eat like four things.

However, I quickly realized that shit wasn't gonna fly if I were gonna date women, so that, more than anything else, opened up my eyes to to the wonders of fine cuisine that went beyond pizza and burgers. Now, most of my favorite foods are not only not those two things, but the direct result of dating. LET'S GO INSIDE THE KCALS

- Chicken korma. My all-time favorite food! Thanks to Vitriola

- Sushi. One Halloween, I met a girl dressed up as Catwoman when I was dressed up as the Joker. Since both our alter-egos, in the comics, want to fuck Batman, I was able to "break the ice." I can't remember if her real name was Sierra or Sienna, but I do remember that she took me out for sushi for the first time.

- Mussman curry. I now get this when we have Thai at BSG Nite. Again, this was Vitriola's doing. I'll also include saag paneer here.

- Crab legs. Wait! This one wasn't because of girls. This was because I made bets with my roommates over fantasy football, and it somehow devolved quickly into us eating as many goddamn crab legs as we could on an "all you can eat" nite until the owner came over and started half-kidding about us leaving for the love of Christ. Believe me, if any women were anywhere near our table, they went home and went gay. Crab legs need to be here, though, because this is as close to a "Foods I could eat every day" list that I'm ever going to make.

- Haggis, fabs, revels, and a giant piece of fish fried to, um, perfection, along with chips: I can't even rationally discuss this one. I eat fish all the time now, but wimp out at frying it, choosing to bake it instead. I also pick salmon, and I'm gonna guess I didn't get as good a cut as that at some of the chippies I went to.

- Puffed prawns. I'd murder every single person in the world EXCEPT for a prawn farmer and a guy who could operate a hot oil drum if it meant a steady, constant supply of puffed prawns. I guess that's not such a big claim when you murder all the police and judges, but still, I guess I was more trying to note the price I'm prepared to pay for these than align any possible moral compass. A blood price!

- Preserves. This is the only item on the list I could eat every day that I was not introduced to by CHYX and/or FANTASY FOOTBALL ENTHUSIASTS. What got me "into" preserves was reading about the orcs going batshit crazy for them in the 1987 seminal classic graphical text adventure by Level 9 distributed by Rainbird or Firebird depending where along the Atlantic ocean you fell KNIGHT ORC. I'm down to one measly jar of preserves, partly because I could spread them every day, on anything. Anything! Helph me.

pinback

Post by pinback »

What the cockbag are "puffed prawns"?

Ice Cream Jonsey

A prawn is like a sweet shrimp, which I first had in MY SCOTLAND.

Someone takes one and throws it into a vat of boiling oil. (As it was described to me.)

This causes the prawn to lose molecular stability. It assumes the texture of a cheese puff.

I just checked Google and photos are not coming up under "puffed prawn." I will double-check on the name.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Fried shrimp??

Ice Cream Jonsey

No! Whatever the Scots do to the prawn, it causes the prawn to almost explode or unravel.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

And this is in the same paragraph, almost, as haggis?

Whatever they put in a haggis; and just giving it an A before the noun makes it suspect all the more, that it's unfit for human consumption.

When you make ..say, pudding you do not call it 'A pudding' that means it's something on the level with eel pie. So when a person makes 'A haggis' that means it contains things that would leave Quincy green.

THE
OTHER THAN THAT, ENJOY
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:No! Whatever the Scots do to the prawn, it causes the prawn to almost explode or unravel.
What in the fuck are you talking about?

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

enjoy

[/img]

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Wow! A WHOLE slider free! Think WC could have given out maybe a 12 pack of 'em or something. Geez, one whole slider. What's that, like a bite and a half?

THE
FREE ICE COUPON
WITH EVERY COLD DRINK
AARDVARK

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Well, you can get one of these too but I don't know if you'd want to:

Flack

Post by Flack »

So over the weekend, I ate at White Castle not once, but twice. And yeah, my butthole paid the price. But, now I can say the following:

I HAD A BBQ PULLED PORK SLIDER.

(Two of 'em, actually.)

My review?

"Manwich."

pinback

Re: Foods I Could Eat Every Day

Post by pinback »

FOOD I COULD EAT EVERY DAY #9: Wings

I could eat wings every day.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's not the wings per se, but the sauce that the wings are drowned and boiled in that makes it an everyday food.

Now to open a Pandora's box, what, I ask you, is your favorite wing sauce?

Actually, I would have to require the restaurant / pub / wing haus as an example.

THE
COUNTRY SWEET (MILD)
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

A nice cayenne-based sauce, like the traditional buffalo-style.

But I don't care. Mango habanero. Spicy Asian BBQ. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. GIMME THEM WINGS.