Presto Fry Daddy

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Presto Fry Daddy

Post by Jizaboz »

Anyone else have a frydaddy? If so, what have you cooked in it?

So far I’ve done..
- chicken wings
- fresh cut fries
- fried zucchini and squash
- fried green tomatoes
- hush puppies
- shrimp
- flounder

Everything has turned out excellent, especially fish and shrimp. As long as it’s fresh and just rolled in some House of Autry seafood breading mix and you don’t walk off and let it burn it turns out just as good or better than any restaurant!

Extremely easy to use. The only trick is waiting 15-20 minutes for the oil to heat before you throw anything in. It self regulates temp so you don’t have to worry about things getting too hot or cold.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Re: Presto Fry Daddy

Post by Billy Mays »

What kind of oil are you running? I only use peanut oil.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

In view of my reputation I'll mention I've heard rapeseed oil is also good. I'm not kidding, there really is a product called "rapeseed oil," which, due to negative connotations, is now called canola oil.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:07 pm In view of my reputation I'll mention I've heard rapeseed oil is also good. I'm not kidding, there really is a product called "rapeseed oil," which, due to negative connotations, is now called canola oil.
I mean, that beat out the first alternate name they were going to come up with, which is "Pedophilia is Fun"
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:28 pm Anyone else have a frydaddy? If so, what have you cooked in it?

So far I’ve done..
- chicken wings
- fresh cut fries
- fried zucchini and squash
- fried green tomatoes
- hush puppies
- shrimp
- flounder

Everything has turned out excellent, especially fish and shrimp. As long as it’s fresh and just rolled in some House of Autry seafood breading mix and you don’t walk off and let it burn it turns out just as good or better than any restaurant!

Extremely easy to use. The only trick is waiting 15-20 minutes for the oil to heat before you throw anything in. It self regulates temp so you don’t have to worry about things getting too hot or cold.
We have something we're supposed to leave outside. My wife makes chile rellenos during the colder months and then we have people over and then I fry them outside which is the CLUTCH area to be, because that way you control the flow of rellenos. It's like Dune but delicious.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Billy Mays wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 am What kind of oil are you running? I only use peanut oil.
Store brand vegetable oil. Peanut oil would probably be good for chicken wings or something so I should try that.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm
We have something we're supposed to leave outside. My wife makes chile rellenos during the colder months and then we have people over and then I fry them outside which is the CLUTCH area to be, because that way you control the flow of rellenos. It's like Dune but delicious.
Nice! Will definitely do this sometime on a smaller scale.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 pmStore brand vegetable oil. Peanut oil would probably be good for chicken wings or something so I should try that.
Peanut oil is great for everything, it's the best, especially for chicken or french fries. You need to get one of those propane fueled deep fryers, makes full sized drumsticks taste like wings, deep fry a whole turkey, it's a whole different ballpark.
Last edited by Billy Mays on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Do you save the oil between fryings? My college roomate used to just turn his fryer off and keep the same oil for weeks. We used to do ravioles, mozz sticks, chicken wings, frozen fries, etc. The wife and I are looking to get a fryer this xmas so we can do things like fish and chips.

Is FryDaddy the best one to get?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:24 pm Do you save the oil between fryings? My college roomate used to just turn his fryer off and keep the same oil for weeks. We used to do ravioles, mozz sticks, chicken wings, frozen fries, etc. The wife and I are looking to get a fryer this xmas so we can do things like fish and chips.

Everyone saves it for a few runs unless someone asks, which at that point everyone 100% throws it immediately out no matter what between attempts.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:24 pm Do you save the oil between fryings? My college roomate used to just turn his fryer off and keep the same oil for weeks. We used to do ravioles, mozz sticks, chicken wings, frozen fries, etc. The wife and I are looking to get a fryer this xmas so we can do things like fish and chips.

I only save the oil if I don't saturate it.. which is basically never. This Presto Frydaddy one does really small batches and works well indoors. Kind of the George Forman Grill of fryers. I only have to use like a bit over half a regular size bottle of cooking oil in this thing.

But yeah for outdoors the big ass propane-fired ones are far superior if you have a lot food and a lot of oil.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:20 pmBut yeah for outdoors the big ass propane-fired ones are far superior if you have a lot food and a lot of oil.
Yeah, it really is something you only break out for special occasions, but talk about a hero moment when you do...

The frydaddy is the go to if you only want to invest in one. My advice to newbies is to buy the absolute cheapest frydaddy they have at Walmart. You only need one temperature and you unplug it when the food is cooked. You throw it out and buy another one when the unit burns out or you don't feel like cleaning it.

As far as changing the oil goes, it fries stuff at around 400 degrees so it will kill off anything harmful, but it will go rancid after awhile which does impact the flavor of what you cook in it. How long is awhile? I don't know because you will dump the oil or chuck the whole unit in the trash after having to look at that shitty thing full of shitty oil sitting wherever you decide to store it long before it goes rancid. Just smell the cold oil before you plug it in and if it smells like something you want to eat then the oil is fine.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

In Hotel, it mentions how they rerun oil used to cook the same thing multiple times as long as it is strained to remove food particles between uses, but it has to be disposed after a certain period for the very reason Billy Mays just said, it goes rancid.

It would be too expensive for a commercial kitchen to use fresh oil every time but they have to be careful to not reuse too often or customers complain. In one case the hotel was having problems with oil becoming rancid after one use, a costly problem. Everything is stainless steel so there shouldn't be a problem that quickly, until they discover a fry basket has some of the coating worn off, and it's brass underneath, which will destroy cooking oil.

Cheap fry baskets probably cost them more in ruined food and ruined reputation than it saved.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

As the only person with the balls and work ethic to change the oil in the fryer vats at Burger King and clean them, I know a thing or 2 about this!

God, I hate nasty oil. I volunteered to work at a BK at a mall at Christmas time instead of my normal store. The fries were coming out looking like they had cajun seasoning on them. We all know BK does not use seasoning. I insist they let me change at least 1 vat and they are all "SILENCE, OUTLANDER" so that was that.

I used to love making myself a Big Fish sandwich at BK right after a cleaning and oil change after it got up to temp. Perfect color, flavor, and crispiness even with 2 pieces of cheese slapped on it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

The more you strain your oil the longer it lasts. There's a weird thing called a water-fryer that basically has 2" of water under the oil where all the garbage collects and doesn't wreck the oil. When it starts to smell funny or make your food taste like fish-sticks change it.