[RECIPE] Baked Wings As Good As Fried!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

[RECIPE] Baked Wings As Good As Fried!

Post by pinback »

I love me some wings. But the process of deep-frying them is, for me, messy, stinky, and a real pain in the dickhole. But how can I make wings just as crispy and delicious as fried, without the hassle? I'm here to tell you!

- 10 whole wings, flats and drummettes separated (so 20 pieces.)
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Dry rub and/or sauce of choice

1. Dry wings completely with paper towels. Place in large bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt, baking powder and dry rub (if using it) over the wings. Mix wings together so they are completely coated with the mixture.
3. Place wings on baking sheet with wire rack.
4. Heat oven to 250 degrees. Put wings in oven for 30 minutes.
5. Increase heat to 425 degrees, bake wings for an hour, flipping every 20 minutes, until browned and crispy.
6. Mix cooked wings in bowl with sauce (if using).

Left-to-right, here are: Jerk wings, classic Buffalo, and BBQ dry rubbed.

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: [RECIPE] Baked Wings As Good As Fried!

Post by Casual Observer »

Some recipes for baked bacon say you should put them in the oven and then turn it on because the fat renders better when it comes to heat slowly. Do you think that approach would work with wings too? We love us some wings and don't have a fryer yet (Ninja air fryer probably coming for Christmas this year).

pinback

Post by pinback »

Sure. The purpose of the lower heat at the beginning is to kinda do that, and also complete the drying process so that they crisp straight the fuck up!

pinback

Post by pinback »

These are so good my wife REQUESTED them two weeks later (today!) where I usually have to beg and plead to make the fried ones once or twice a year.

For that reason, I think this is my new favorite recipe I've ever posted.

FUCKIN' WING NITE.

uruzrune

Post by uruzrune »

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

As my COVID sickness recedes and my sense of taste and smell are renewed, it was a real treat to try out a Ben's Famous recipe. Minus waiting for freezer wings to thaw, it couldn't have been easier.

Thank you, Chef Ben.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

ChainGangGuy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:38 pm As my COVID sickness recedes and my sense of taste and smell are renewed, it was a real treat to try out a Ben's Famous recipe. Minus waiting for freezer wings to thaw, it couldn't have been easier.

Thank you, Chef Ben.
Cool! What kind of sauce did you use, man?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 am
Cool! What kind of sauce did you use, man?
Mr. Boz, we are just using plain, ole humble Moore's Buffalo-style Wing Sauce. As for the dry rub, well, that got a resounding "UNACCEPTABLE" and is now generously seasoning the bottom of the trash. That's not Chef Ben's fault, though.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Are you guys making your own wings because you can't buy teh quality wings at a take out near you?

There's five places where I can get great wings, all within fifteen minutes drive. I understand the cooking creativity part but I'd rather make a phone call than make homemade s any day.

THE
1-800 BAWK BAWK
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:19 pm Are you guys making your own wings because you can't buy teh quality wings at a take out near you?

There's five places where I can get great wings, all within fifteen minutes drive. I understand the cooking creativity part but I'd rather make a phone call than make homemade s any day.
Well, you have company in this thread, from a 350-pound man who never leaves his house.

1. I enjoy the process, and:

2. I can make whatever sauce I want, using one of my many craft hot sauces, which would surely the blow the socks off whatever BEE-DUBS is using.

I like restaurant wings as well, but I don't consider doing it at home an inconvenience, I consider it a treat.

You understand this is a cooking base, right? "Why don't you just get it from a restaurant?" is not really in the spirit of the conversation.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was wondering if cooking the wings at home was because they aint no better ones to be had retail. I've heard of places where you can't get good pizza or wings. When I was in Arizona the wings were sub-par.

pinback

Post by pinback »

If I'm cooking wings, then wherever I am, there AIN'T NO BETTER ONES TO BE HAD RETAIL.

/drops wing

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is why I dont cook.

THE
KITCHEN
LIMITATIONS
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Anyone try Pizza Huts wings lately? They're not bad, plump and a bunch of flavor choices. Our favs are Cajun Dry Rub and medium Buffalo. That's how bad wings are out west.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:42 pm I was wondering if cooking the wings at home was because they aint no better ones to be had retail. I've heard of places where you can't get good pizza or wings. When I was in Arizona the wings were sub-par.

The particular ethnic diversity of our little corner of the Greater Metro Atlanta area means the quality of the local BBQ and wing joints are subpar, at best. However, we do have an abundance of boutique craft stores featuring reclaimed wood items reminding us to Be Thankful, Y'all and the all-important 3 L's (Live, Love & Laugh -- not Liquor, Ladies & Lunchtime).

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would rank some of our local wing joints, but since most of the people here are from Rochester, I'm sure they'd all be met with condescension and derision, because people from Rochester are convinced that all their shit is the best.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Come hither to Upstate some fine post-pandemic summer's day and you too will know the pub cusine pinnacle.

Based on this thread, my wife has taken it upon herself to bake some homemade chicken wings as described in the above recipe. We'll be using Country Sweet sauce. Results to follow.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ready for teh baking!

pinback

Post by pinback »

OH SHIT!

This is very exciting.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 am I would rank some of our local wing joints, but since most of the people here are from Rochester, I'm sure they'd all be met with condescension and derision, because people from Rochester are convinced that all their shit is the best.

There's two things. TWO. Pizza and wings. All of us will admit to our city's many problems.

Can't we have those two things?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!