TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by Jizaboz »

No probs with sound on my end.

I was not able to use my Vectrex with a serial connection because MacOS update broke something on that computer and on Windows I can't get it to talk over the port.

Oh well, played with keyboard.

83350 on 2nd attempt..

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

It slipped my mind to play this week (well, my initial reaction was it wouldn't be the same without the spinner, but that wasn't going to stop from playing...until I forgot). I played a bit tonight and got to 66575. It's still a fun game even on a keyboard! I'll try to give Jizaboz a run for his money tomorrow. Unless I forget again.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

10.475. Not my kind of game :P

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I really wanted to get to 100K, but I've had to settle for 97025 so far.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I got 6800 exactly. Not a misprint. Gonna admit this one didn't "click" with me.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I'm not actually playing to win here...I was just trying to get people FIRED UP to play. Let me try to make the case for this game in writing since our screenshots don't seem to be cutting it. You know how in video games spaceships tend to be vastly simplified to make space games easier to play? Sega Star Trek makes a noble attempt to add some extra strategy relative to your typical space shooter. You have your basic movement (impulse drive) and your basic shooting controls (phaser) here, but you also have photon torpedoes which you have to reload but are more powerful and can destroy multiple enemies at a time as well as the warp drive which can be drained but gives you much faster movement. There are other strategic concerns you have to deal with here as well, such as when to repair/resupply at a starbase and when to prioritize protecting starbases (more points at the end of the round) versus prioritizing going after clusters of enemies or more dangerous enemies. The warp drive is probably the hardest to master, but there's something incredibly satisfying about zooming past an enemy and shooting them before they've even had time to turn around and face you.

Star Trek gamers are a long-suffering lot. Let's just say there have been some stinkers in the catalog over the years. In general, I've come to adopt the philosophy that any game that slightly reminds me of Star Trek is basically a good Star Trek game. I'd be willing to go so far as to say that Sega Star Trek actually achieves the coveted "somewhat reminds me of Star Trek" designation although it is purely a combat sim and not strictly canon. You guys really didn't want to be somewhat immersed in the Star Trek universe for a while? You're missing out! I bet if this week's game was Gun.Smoke 2 the board would've been all over it.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This was a good game at the arcade, mostly because of the cool chair and having the controls at the end of the armrests. You could sit there like the Lincoln Memorial and be playing like mad. My friend always crossed his leg while playing, because he was too cool for school.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Congratulations Captain BryanB, who took control of the Enterprise and taught star control, and the rest of us, some very valuable lessons. Thanks to Obliterator for giving us a challenge this week!

BryanB 97,025
Jizaboz 83,350
Kid Ice 69,875
Obliterator 69,175
Aardvark 41,725
Flack 31,025
RealNC 10,475
Ice Cream Jonsey 6,800

Next week will be the last game of the first run of the MAME Club. Then we'll take a short break and start round two!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

This week's game is 1984’s Paperboy by Atari.

This game was selected by Tdarcos. This will conclude the first season of the MAME club.

DOWNLOAD: LINK
SCORE SPREADSHEET: LINK
KLOV INFO: LINK
CONTROLS: Bicycle Handlebars

- PLAY the game
- SHARE your thoughts, reviews, and scores
- POST a picture of you or the game with a beverage (optional)
- STOP trying to change the club
- Cut off for scores is Sunday at Midnight
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Handlebars?

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 pmHandlebars?
Hey, that's not fair!

What a jerk I am..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I'll tell you a secret about this game. If this is not the bug fix release, there is a way to get an insanely large score. Some kid in effect bet me a quarter he could do it, and he did. That was the best quarter I ever spent. I was going to qualify it as "on entertainment," but I don't think I ever got more out of any other quarter. And I wasn't even playing, I was just watching as he blew my socks off.

It really tells you something that I remember one event in the summer of 1984 in an arcade at Lakewood Center in Lakewood, California. Well, two. I remember at a different time watching the owner of the arcade programming the welcome message on one of his machines, then made a mistake typing it in using a joystick and the buttons. I spotted on it because I knew from my own experience and actions doing programming that he'd messed up, and he knew it. Seeing his reaction, I said, "you made a mistake, didn't you?" and he was shocked I realized it.

Yeah, well, that's my take of the big events of the summer of '84.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You spotted a typo because of your programming experience?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

wat

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'll tell you a secret about this game. If this is not the bug fix release, there is a way to get an insanely large score.
But you did not actually TELL us about the game secret to get an insanely large score. What's the secret, Commander? What's the SECRET!

THE
BAIT AND SWITCHED
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I assume we are playing EASY STREET here.

Played with a joystick over ArPiCade (MAME). Disregard how bad fones take pictures of CRTs despite the tube burn-in.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

15273. I've always liked Paperboy, but I played the NES port much more than the actual arcade game. The voices still surprise me sometimes!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Nice! Yeah, I love the voices.

“What a jerk I am”

“Now you have a friend in the paper business”

“Paperboy doesn’t break the news, he just delivers it.”

“Looking for a passenger?”

“Oh wow”

The NES port played great.. much better than the 720 degrees port. But no voices kept me from buying it after a rental.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Paperboy: 5125

Playing this game when you're handicapped sucks.

Okay, the secret high score glitch, At the end of the Training Course,cross the finish and exit at the far right outide the normal exit area. This restarts the training course in an unusual "reverse video" mode, and tne scores are insane. I saw the kid who played it obtain something like a billion points.

Unbelievable.

This bug got fixed in a later release
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.