Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Review Thread

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Review Thread

Post by Casual Observer »

Ok, I finally tried this overhyped thing and here's my brief review. Pls to be letting me know what y'all think (yeah, y'all's a southernism in recognition of Popeyes). After months of hype and seeing how it "sold out" after a couple of weeks and then was re-released a month later, I waited for the lines to wither a bit and decided to give it a try.

I live a block away from a Popeyes (yeah, it's a BLACK suburb) so I've been watching the line. Almost every day for a couple weeks the drive through line has been all the way out of the parking lot into the Walmart lot. Last Thursday I thought fuck-it I'll wait in the inside line which was actually about 20 people deep winding out of the doors. That day after waiting 5 minutes and chatting with folks in the line I decided no way I was waiting longer and left. BTW, I joked with folks in the line that I would keep waiting if it was for the MicRib and NOBODY knew what I was talking about - SAD.

Finally, on Saturday I found there to be not much of a line and so went for it. First, they don't really allow any special instructions which was almost a huge problem. My wife won't accept any mayonnaise on a sandwich and so I had to fight for them to not put that on her sandwich. They wouldn't agree to not putting pickles on her sandwich but that's fairly easy to fix in the car so ok.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the hype is about. Yeah, it's a real breast of chicken, barely processed. In fact, of the two sandwiches we bought, they looked completely different. It's clear that they are battering and frying up real breasts of chicken so that's a positive. KFC's sandwich is kind of cheating by using their same chicken tenders that they sell in a box so not really a chicken breast sandwich. I'll give Popeyes props for not doing the processed shit that they use at McD, Wendys, and BK.

My main issue with the Popeyes chicken sandwich is it doesn't use their spicy batter. Popeys, of the two chicken chains is the one that mostly has spicy batter (except for the Main St. Rochester NY KFC which is the only one I've found it at) but the sandwich is battered with their regular batter. I guess it's only the bun and the mayo that is spicy which was a disappointment. Why bother with spicy mayo and bread and not use the spicy batter that you already have???

Overall, it was ok. The chicken on my 'wich was a bit too thick for my taste. I'm not sure why it's worth the wait and certainly don't think it's worth getting stabbed or stabbing someone over.

pinback

Re: Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Review Thread

Post by pinback »

Please to compare it to Chick Fil-A.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hm yeah I don't see what all the rage is about either. Also, I'd tell them to leave the mayonnaise off and then proceed to ask for one pack of mustard and one pack of mayonnaise heh-heh

It wasn't until recently I tried Popeyes food and I found it pretty gross. The chicken was OK but not as good as Church's or Bojangles. Their mashed potatoes and gravy was absolutely fucking disgusting.

And yes, how did this sandwich compare to Chick Fil A?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

My kids had them over the weekend. I asked my son how they were and he said good. I asked him if he had to wait for five minutes for one, would he wait. He said yes. Then I asked him if he would wait ten minutes and he said no.

Here's the problem for me:

This is just the ones with "chicken" in the name -- it doesn't include Buffalo Wild Wings, Wing Stop, Wendy's, or any of the other places (and sub places) that serve chicken sandwiches. There's also a Chicken Express just off the edge of that map. That makes it hard to wait half an hour for a sandwich when there are 20 alternatives within two miles.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ah, I should have just typed "chick". There's also a Chick-Fil-A and a Golden Chick on that same strip.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

It's tough to find a Chic-fil-a here in the liberal bay area, apparently they get run out of town here.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I don't get all the hype, it's a chicken sandwich. They were calling it Chicken Sandwich Wars on CNN. Seriously? We live such good lives that two national chains offer a similar food and they call it a war?

I'm out.

I don't think I've ever had a chicken sandwich that I would specifically wait in line to get. I don't believe I ever will.

THE
I'M A BELIEVER
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

CO, can you get the Chick Fil A chicken sandwich and the Popeye's one and sort of mash the meat together with the top bun from Chick Fil A and the bottom bun from Popeyes?

It's time to construct the ultimate fried chicken sandwich.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 am Please to compare it to Chick Fil-A.
I guess there is a Chick Fil-A nearby so this is a possibility.