AArdvark

Favorite Donut Thread

Post by AArdvark »

Post pix of your favorite donuts!

pinback

Re: Favorite Donut Thread

Post by pinback »

(Not pictured: Donuts.)
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Perhaps this should have been the Don't Bother Contributing thread.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Hurts Donuts is hands-down the best donut place in OKC. There are only two locations and neither is close to me, which is good for my waistline.

The last time we went I grabbed these two -- a Lucky Charms marshmallow donut, and a cotton candy donut. If you like 'em sweet, Hurts Donut is your place.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's funny.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 am Perhaps this should have been the Don't Bother Contributing thread.
No, this is very important. How come nobody has posted the best, crack donut ever. I loved these things before they expanded nationally. My grandparents used to live in Winston Salem NC which has the very first Krispy Kreme donut shop in the world. When we would visit, every Sunday we had a ritual of visiting the original store, watching the donut manufacturing process and buying a dozen mixed donuts. I still love the fact that if the little "fresh donut" light is on you can walk in and get a free sample donut. I usually buy a coffee to go with the free donut, not because I think I owe it to the store to buy something but because the donut is so damn sweet what else can you drink but coffee.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 am Perhaps this should have been the Don't Bother Contributing thread.
Good. Don't.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I used to love me teh Krispy Kreme! They built a store from scratch in Henrietta and closed it three years later. I could eat a whole box of those bad boys, or at least try.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

And Lucky Charms on a donut!

Dammit why can't they have those here.

THE
ALWAYS AFTER
ME
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Krispy Kreme! Damn right!

I’ve also eaten donuts from the Winston Salem store on Stratford Road as well as the store in High Point all my life. Hands down the best donut chain around, especially if you just want a good regular glazed donut. As a black coffee drinker, I can agree this is all you need to go with a sugarless coffee.

Another random fact I learned delivering their coffee back when I serviced vending machines: They use a much bigger “grind” on their beans than most other coffees. Compared to many other ground coffee products, it looks like a bag of small aquarium rocks rather than a back of course dirt. Perhaps this more crude shape of grinding helps provide the old school flavor of their coffee.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:56 am Image

The last time we went I grabbed these two -- a Lucky Charms marshmallow donut, and a cotton candy donut. If you like 'em sweet, Hurts Donut is your place.
This is an interesting concept. Not sure how it would taste texture wise but I’d definitely try it. I still want to try stealing all the marshmallows from a box of Lucky Charms and add bits of them to a box of Rice Krispies to recreate one of my favorite cereals.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Amazon sells bags of Lucky Charms marshmallows without the cereal, if you ever want to try it. I looked it up one time and it cost more than I thought it should.

So, Krispy Kreme...

Oklahoma City didn't get Krispy Kremes until 2001. I think we got two locations, and one of them has since closed. The other one is 15 minutes from my house.

For a couple of years, you couldn't turn your head without finding a coupon for a free Krispy Kreme donut. One time we took the kids there one time with those coupons in hand. When we walked in the door, they gave us each a free donut. Then when they asked what we wanted, we showed them our coupons for more free donuts. We bought drinks because we were full of free donuts by that point. I don't know if every location has changed, but it seems like sometimes when we go in it's "have a free donut" and some days it's "have a free donut... with a purchase." I think it depends on whether or not the place is filled with school kids.

A couple of years ago we went around Halloween when they were doing their tie-in with Ghostbusters. We got Ghostbusters donuts (not free) and took pics with their inflatable Stay-Puft (free).

AFAIK we have one Krispy Kreme, one Dunkin' Donuts, two Hurts Donuts, and 850 Daylight Donuts.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

If there's one single thing I'm hugely envious of when it comes to American food, it's donuts. We just got shitty ones here. Usually stale ones unless you get really lucky. And only one variety: plain.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:41 am If there's one single thing I'm hugely envious of when it comes to American food, it's donuts. We just got shitty ones here. Usually stale ones unless you get really lucky. And only one variety: plain.
Donut proceed to tell us stale and unappetizing half-baked stories which would cause our eyes to glaze over. Treat us to sweet tales that would turn us to jelly thinking about them.

All right, all right, I get it, enough donut puns. Don't get all frosted up about it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He seriously justified the entire point of this thread!

THE
SPIDER ROBINSON
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

RealNC wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:41 am If there's one single thing I'm hugely envious of when it comes to American food, it's donuts. We just got shitty ones here. Usually stale ones unless you get really lucky. And only one variety: plain.
All of the convenient stores near me have donuts for sale in these big plexiglass boxes and I'm not sure how the system works. I kind of think they only get delivered once per day, and since donuts are kind of a breakfast thing... I'm assuming the ones that are there late in the evening are half a day old?

And since RealNC has never been, here's a video clip of the Krispy Kreme conveyor belt. When you walk in, you can see all this happening behind a giant sheet of glass. You can also smell it, which... ugh you guys are killing my diet.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Flack wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:12 pmAll of the convenient stores near me have donuts for sale in these big plexiglass boxes and I'm not sure how the system works. I kind of think they only get delivered once per day, and since donuts are kind of a breakfast thing... I'm assuming the ones that are there late in the evening are half a day old?
No, they're from yesterday. Or two days old. Or worse. They put them in the freezer if they don't sell. I think they only throw them away when their staleness is about the same as dried toast If you complain, "well don't buy them then." Almost nobody eats donuts here so that's how the system works.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

When I heard 7-11 was going to start selling donuts, I knew that it was going to attract the wrong kind of people, namely police officers. And I knew what happens once it attracts that kind of crowd. "There goes the neighborhood."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I like frycakes. Like this:

I can't get them out here. I mean, you can, but you can't get the ones I want, which is from the town I grew up in, Zarpentine Farms in Hilton, NY.

Getting all sort of nostalgic around here for back home, fellas@ @@@!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!