Mr. Do!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: Mr. Do!

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 pm Mr. Do! did not survive ... The circuit board on the neck MIGHT be cracked a little, I dunno.
So your Mr. Do has turned into a Mr. Don't?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 pm Who the fuck did the drywall in that place? Jesus Christ!!
It's possible. "Joseph Christ and Son. Carpenters since 30BC. Special pricing on nails."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

With those two parts out, the next thing is getting the old, broken monitor out and the new monitor in.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Progress on this -

1) Jizaboz: with the shit going on with the post office, I'm gonna wait a bit before sending that power brick out. But it is yours and in a safe spot.
2) I got a replacement power supply and when the technician came over to fix the wiring for Crystal Castles, he wired up the power supply to the JAMMA harness I bought. Long story short, the power / monitor / LCD screen for Mr. Do! is WORKING.

What's left is as follows:

- I have to get all the old wires out of there.
- I want the sound volume knob to be working. I think that's cool.
- I need to get a proper plug for sound from the JAMMA harness so it can go to the speakers. I'd really like to have molex connectors for everything.
- I have no idea how to get the old CRT out. It seems to have screws in a way which meant that it would have been impossible to screw them in to begin with.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Using the continuity mode on the multimeter, I was able to press start on the control panel and start a game. Next- where walks molex!!!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:44 pm Using the continuity mode on the multimeter, I was able to press start on the control panel and start a game. Next- where walks molex!!!
Awesome! One step at a time..

Also, I understand about the P.O. thing. It will be a couple weeks at least before I get to trying to diagnose why the other k7000 that I put in the Taito cabinet started bouncing on me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

As it turns out I don't need the sound amp, there is a sound knob on the JAMMA to Mr. Do! part.

Also - for some reason I ordered 30 male pins and 10 male pins for the molex connector I got. While quite hot, I really gotta start proofreading my orders.

Ice Cream Jonsey

arcadepartsandrepair sent me a kind of molex pin that has one mechanism for keeping the wire in place. Every other pin I've seen has at least two sets of "wings" to hold it, but not the ones I got from them. The wire just slides out. So that's money completely wasted. Christ.

I'm really starting to hate working on games and because of the actual work but because of the fucking "see what I need, try to identify it, try to order what I identified, see if what shows up bears any resemblance to what I need, repeat" cycle.

EDIT: I got "solder tail" pins. Worthless to what I am trying to do.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

It's part of it. I have like 6 bags of male/female molex and other types of connectors. I barely use them and still find situations where I do not have the right size haha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Right - it's amazing to me they all came together for the JAMMA standard considering no two pins are alike with connectors.

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, I ordered pins that did not have to get soldered to the board. And I give up. They are not loose, they are connected with "wings" or what have you. I have no idea how to free them from the wings and let them fit in the molex container. This is coming up on three years of being broken so I said ENOUGH and I used electrical tape to tape the wires for the control panel to the JAMMA connector. It looks terrible. Should be a half hour project for whoever gets it then, but that person won't be me.

So the game is now PLAYABLE through the control panel. JAMMA knows enough (or the JAMMA to Universal adapter knows enough) to use the same controls for player 1 that player 2 has. So P1 and P2 work.

Right now the monitor is not in the cabinet. It - the LCD - is off to the side. I probably could get a real CRT for it, but I won't. (If Flack gets the Polybius I'll have a spare Vision Pro.) So the next two things is getting audio to work and the old monitor out and the new monitor in.

I have a set of speakers and I think I see what is considered power for the speakers. And the JAMMA pinout says there is

"Speaker -"
"Speaker +"
"Audio Ground"
"Audio +"

as pins. No idea what goes where and I don't know what voltage the speakers need. Time to figure it out!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Sound is working. Just wired the - and + speaker wires to the wires coming out of the speaker. I think just one speaker is active right now, but that's an easy fix.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hooked both speakers up and the audio is GREAT. There is a pot on the JAMMA to Universal board that I was able to adjust to make the volume right where I want it. I am very psyched about how this is going.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Nice! Can you take pics of your wiring? I may be able to help make your connections more safe without too much trouble.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I shall do that!

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Mr. Do! cab is set to be picked up by an interested party tomorrow.