The $200,000 arcade scam

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

The $200,000 arcade scam

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Details coming tomorrow. I just saw that it all blew up.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The $200,000 arcade scam

It started innocently enough. Someone named Steven (his real name?) had every single rare and high-demand arcade game for sale and he was going to sell them through KLOV at the same time. He started three threads and in each, he came off like he was illiterate. Not kidding, he might have the worst on-line English capabilities of any native I've ever seen.

One of the lists as they are now:
eeek 3000
Kozmik krooz'r 6800 without 2 spare boards
deathrace 4300
Reactor 3000
Circus charlie upright 2000
Flickey 23005 sold
Madd planets 2000 not original
Granny and the gators 3000 sold
4 player pacman vs 4000
Combat upright 2000
Battletoads 1800
Pigout 3500
Boulder dash 2200
Super bagman 2500 sold
Speed freak 2400
Pooyan 1900 sold
Robby roto 1900
Victory excidy 3000
Carnevil 1300 sold
Boothill 2000 sold
Gain ground 2600
Cliff hanger 3400
Badlands konami 2700 sold
Krull 1700
Eliminator 2200
Crater raider 1800 sold
Mazer blazer 2600
Rootbeer tapper 2600
Rampart 1700 sold
Nibbler 1700 sold
Red tent 1700
Thayers quest 3300
Trog 2100
Mr do 1900 sold
Monster bash 3000
This is all i will be listing for about 3 months I am open to offers on some of these thanks
This is the original list he had. Not the most expensive prices these games have ever gone for - but not a screaming deal, either. They were believable.
eeek 3500
Koozmik kroozr 7000 without 2 spare boards
deathrace 5300
Reactor 3800
Bagman 1800
Arabian 1500
Circus charlie upright 2000
Dark planets 3800
Flickey 2900
Madd planets 2000 not original boards
Warlords upright 2000
4 player pacman vs 4500
Combat upright 2300
Bank panic 2400
Ice cold beer 3900
Barrier 3000
Battletoads 2000
Pigout 4500
Boulder dash 2500
Boxing bugs 3500
Warlords cocktail 4500
Chiller with 440 3900
Super bagman 2500
Observations: 1) Wow, listing dozens of games in different threads causes chaos, doesn't it? Does he not know how the internet works?
2) No pictures. Not a single picture.

Ice Cream Jonsey

These things don't happen without sycophants and "helpers". Are they in on the scam? I don't know. I am going to give them all different names because identity is not important.
409102:
Really pleased Steven gave us a chance to purchase the bulk of his collection thus far vs. dumping them on eBay. One of the best transactions I've had in the 20+ years in the hobby.
Ohhh, I bet you are. I bet you are glad, buddy. And he's talking about the transaction being in the past. I would say, and I would be correct, that the transaction is complete when the game is at your property and you verify it works. There is an implication here.
Random arcade guy #1:
Hey guys, about to do a deal with Steven and just wanted to make sure all is cool, I heard he has bought tons of games and is reputable but just wanted to verify here with posts before I send him bank transfer, etc.
This is from, presumably, a legit buyer wanting to know something about the guy. Interesting that he didn't look at Steven's post history - more on that later.

So, this all started on July 17th, 2022. We find out a few posts later that Steven is asking for wire transfers. But nobody came out and said that's all he would take. Wire transfers are really difficult to reverse. One more message I am going to quote at this point:
409102:
I can vouch for three separate smooth transactions (720, Burgertime & Zookeeper). Steven has been awesome and a pleasure to deal with. Answered all questions and has kept me updated with STI shipping delays (drivers out with Covid).
This guy doubles down (?) on "smooth transactions." He didn't get any of those games. He never will. I ask you - if you read this, ten days into this scam, would you not conclude that the games arrived and the person writing it received them?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Now it's July 28th. The games haven't shipped. Someone stated that the games won't be getting picked up until next week, and:
Random arcade guy #2:
Let's hope so. I think the issue is with the local hot shot drivers. STI contracts someone local to pick up the games and take them to their warehouse, the CRST moves the games, then contracts local again to deliver to the buyer. I think the local Portland drivers are having a lot of covid issues right now.
This is pure conjecture. There are no facts behind any of this. This guy was a victim, but mankind's ability to just start asserting BS as truth is beyond measure in this thread. It would have been just as valid to say, "Let's hope so. I think the issue is because this is a giant scam and the seller is making excuses to run out the clock as he does whatever he did with our money, to ensure that whatever he does with it is permanent."

More posts about shipping... one buyer/victim of all this talked to Michelle, the woman that has pretty much become the shipping agent for all things arcade games for 25 years. Michelle stated that they would be making a pickup on Thursday, August 4th. With NAVL or Beltmann coming on 8/4, that means reality is going to hit that day.

One KLOVer says that it's weird that these games are being sold on Facebook, too. One guy says that oh, that's ok, that's explainable. "There are multiple locations and multiples of the same games in some instances."

I mean, come the fuck on.

Steven, our scammer, writes this on Monday, August 1st, 2022:
Hey everyone heres whats going on all of the games are finally at one location some games are coming off the trailer to go to california the rest are going on one trailer to local shipper it was the easy way i think for them and me as soon as i get the games off that are going to cali the trailer will be dropped off at the shipper wich will be thursday or friday the local shipper had issues with drivers and then my schedule didnt meet up with there 30 min notice as far as games being sold on facebook those are not my games that is someone else that is in the same biz park .the games that where going to cali were suppose to leave but we had a issue withe wheel bearings on a trailer so we had to unload all of them to get the trailer somewhere to fix it so now have to reload that trailer again for cali any questions call me
Quoting him makes my Grammarly plugin spew red.

Ice Cream Jonsey

We get some more helpful buyer updates as people wait:
Steven has been great to chat with and similar to Odin, I dropped 7k on three games based on my conversation with him. You may buy the games, but you usually buy the seller. Steven has been a stand-up dude, transparent and considering how many games he's offering up, very easy to deal with.
Yeah, the guy was scamming the fuck out of people. He was getting thousands of dollars at this point. Probably up to almost a hundred thousand dollars at this point. You're saying he was in a good mood??

On Wednesday, August 3rd, 2022, we have a guy chime in and say, hey! Here are the pictures of a Journey arcade game! The implication is that the game arrived.

A check-in from the scammer:
Ive spent years and hours driving and on the phone to get these games i sought out the cleanest machines there so nice ive never even had one break yet sorry for the coue of people that didnt get pics my approach was good pricing to sell them with know hassles the games are what i say they are perioed people that know they know and theyre getting beautiful games sorry for the people that missed out
Let's go to Friday, August 5th, Michelle at Beltman writes an email to a buyer and she says that "Supposedly Steve is dropping off at our terminal today." Like 80 games! Really?

Later, Friday afternoon, a buyer states that he got a message from Michelle. She said that Steven called and left a message - he wasn't going to be in because his warehouse had a fire.

A what??

Ice Cream Jonsey

The guy that posted a picture of a Journey that he didn't actually get also defends the scammer a little later:
I would say to those of you worried here. I wouldn't yet. Steve is a stand up guy. Also, something to consider as we all joke and vent a bit here.. the number of games sold probably are worth $50k to just Beltmann for shipping. If this doesn't happen . They are on the hook to refund that money.

Also, Beltmann/Michelle know Steve very well and wouldn't go out and risk 50k if they didn't have faith in him after over a decade of doing business with him.

Just food for thought....

Just my 2 cents...life happens,and I'm betting this got bigger than he thought...and logistics has to a nightmare.

End of line
One of my favorite things to convince myself that scammers are scammers is when I think about the easiest yet most decent thing they can do. There is a fire. In a bit we're going to see that OMG all the games were in there! It was an extension cord that did it! Not everyone spent $20K+ on a bunch of games - surely, someone bought, like, a Mr. Do! for 1900 or something. The seller could refund THAT guy easily, right? Right? I mean, I get that maybe something happened and everyone can't get a refund.... but surely one guy?

If one guy can't get a refund then it was 100% a scam and everything was a lie.

Here's an exchange.
Arcade Guy #3
I am fucking worried, and I'm a little fucking leery at you now. How about responding first off to your post from earlier where you made it sound like you received multiple games from Steve already? Did you? Or did you just "receive" the PICTURE you posted? And if the latter then why make it sound like the former? You are one of the ones who vouched for him the most - are you in on this or an unwitting patsy?

This thing is setting off level 12 alarms in my head and has been for several days now. DreamTR - I know you are EXTREMELY experienced in buying games as well as high priced collectibles of various sub-genres - aren't some alarms going off for you? I mean, the truck breaks down and then a fire just coincidentally on the final day some games were going to ship?

Speaking of shipping...I haven't even been able to give his California driver my address? I'm just assured everything is going smoothly?

Whatever Michelle says doesn't mean jack shit - she has no info beyond what's told to her.

I mean how many of these kinds of threads have we read on here and on pinside? And they ALL start out exactly like this. So I'm fucking worried.
Journey Guy's Reply:
Be leery of me all you want, I don't know you and have no shits to give about what you think after mistaking a post that I made that was in reply to a person asking a specific question that you misinterpreted. Wasn't meant for you, and I post what I feel, the difference is I dont get all emotional and insult others that I don't even know while calling their character into question.

You can make your point without being insulting...or maybe you can't. Either way, you have no basis to to insult me or belittle me. GFY.

Ice Cream Jonsey

After the fire, everyone figured out that nobody got any games and the people posting about their great transactions were either helping or fucking stupid, and couldn't read.

Steven finally checks in a day and a half later:
So i want to update everyone on the games i had a fire at my wharehouse last night some games were damaged and some games were not i wont really wont know about specfic games until tmw i have reached out by text or phone call to i believe everyone except jeff in idaho if somehow i missed you please call me i will not be posting here on klov anymore about this the fire is public knowledge and i have insurance this is very devastating and i dont like the acusations on coments some people have made on here after thise im out of this hobby for good for all of you that talk shit fornicate you and to the people that did purchase games from me i believe i have been commnicating with you the best i can given the amount of games and the situation and to you i say thank you for your patients
This is his first attempt at the exit. He won't be posting on the forum where his customers are. (He in fact will make several more posts.)

Someone did post, I see now, a list of all the games the dude was "selling" and what he was asking:
720 $2900
APB (w/ seat) $2500
Alien Syndrome (w/ topper) $2800
Bionic Commando $2000
Black Widow (sold)
Blasted $2000
Bosconian $1900
Bubbles (all original) $2750
BurgerTime $1900
Chicken Shift $2900
Cowboys Moo Mesa $1800
Dig Dug $1300
Donkey Kong (red cab) $1800
Donkey Kong Jr. $1500
Donkey Kong 2 $1200
Donkey Kong 3 (red cab) $1500
Dragon Spirit $1700
Excitebike $1200
Eyes $1500
Frenzy $1300
Galaga 88 $1500
Gate of Doom $1000
Gauntlet $2000
Gauntlet II $2000
Ghostbusters $2500
Ghosts N Goblins $1900
Ghouls N Ghosts $1900
Indiana Jones $1500
Joust $1600
Juno First $2500
Killer Instinct $1800
Killer Instinct 2 $2000
Mad Planets (not original board set) $2500
Major Havoc (in Atari cab) $2900
Mappy $1800
Marble Madness $2400
Mario Bros. (wide-body cab) $1800
Narc $1500
New York! New York! $1500
Pac-Mania 1400
Pac-Man Jr. (in Mappy cab) $2300
Popeye $1300
Punch-Out!! $1800
Punisher $2000
Q-Bert $2400
Qubes $2900
R-Type $1800
R-Type II $1800
R-Type Leo $2300
Rampage $1900
Road Runner $2000
Robotron 2084 $2000
Satan's Hollow $2000
Sinistar $1800
Smash TV $2000
Snacks 'N Jaxson $2900
Splatterhouse $1500
Spy Hunter $2800
Star Wars $2800
Star Wars Trilogy $1500
Subs $2400
Sunset Riders $1800
Super Contra $1500
Super Punch-Out!! $2500
Tapper $2900
TMNT $2000
TMNT Turtles in Time $2000
Tempest $1900
Total Carnage $2000
Tron $2500
Tutankham $1500
Viper Phase 1 $1800
Warlords (upright) $2000
Willow $2000
Wizard Fire $1500
X-Men $1800
Zoo Keeper $2500

$$$$ Games:
Arm Wrestling $4900
Chiller (w/ 440, board) $4000
Death Race $5800
Discs of Tron (stand up) $7000
Domino Man $3500
Eeek $3500
Fonz $6000
Food Fight $4900
Forgotten Worlds $3300
Ice Cold Beer $5000
Journey $5500
Kozmik Krooz'r (w/ 2 spare working boards) $10,000
Moonwalker $3000
Night Slashers $3000
Pac-Man (4-Player Game) $5000
Paperboy $3500
Peter Pack Rat $3000
Pig Out $4000
Pigskin 621 A.D. $4000
Reactor $4000
Robot Monsters $3000
Space Dungeon $3500
Timber $3500
Turkey Shoot (w/ extra board) $5800
Walking Dead $6500
Warlords (cocktail) $5000

Ice Cream Jonsey

Late Friday, we get this from 409102:
Steven called this evening to provide an update on the events. He sounded devastated - fire started from an extension cord. A friend and him stepped out for an hour to grab a bite to eat and a four alarm fire ensued with holes cut in the roof to extinguish the fire. Steven added (as we know) many of the games can't ever be replaced as they are so rare. It was hard for him to find the words to describe the situation. He sounded gutted and committed to providing an update on the status of my games Saturday.

Many of us are emotionally connected to our collection. I'm sure Steven is as well. Consider the hours and years of work that went into finding some of the games in your collection and exponentially multiply that effort to understand the scale of the loss. Sounds like there were a couple of automobiles lost in the accident as well. I didn't press for a lot of info as it would be inappropriate, but crossing my fingers most games survived unscathed and the loss was as minimal as possible. And sending positive vibes to Steven to help navigate this horrible situation.
On Saturday 8/6 we get the first case of the seller revealing his true self.
Steven
Well i have had a chance to really look at all of the games and its safe to say between the water and smoke damage also the flying embers from melting plastic nobody would be happy with the games so if i had the money to pay everyone back i would but i dont thats why i was selling them so from here on out its an insurance issue and my lawyers on it after its all said and done and i have a chance to buy the games back i will and offer them back at a smoking deal 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤑 and for all you that want to talk shit fuck you suck my dick and to everyone who has been patient with me and understands sometimes shit happens thank you and i am sorry but this is what we pay insurance for and if anyone has a problem with all this you have my address im there everyday come see me
If he had the money, he'd pay everyone back! But he doesn't!!!! And now the curses! Keep in mind that nobody has "shit talked" him at this point.

The seller doesn't know how to direct messages to people, so this is basically to all of us.
There was a fire fucking retard its public knowledge eveyones fucking games are fucked up i dont have the money to pay back l was holding out hope there not your games they were my games you never got the. Games to be yours ill post the insurance info monday call them tell them they were your games and see how that goes for you or let me handle it to get your money back either way at this point i dont give a fuck i didnt commit wire fraud fuckhead there was a fire shit got fucked up deal with it like i am fucking cry baby i lost way more than any of you put together including my reputation so do what you will man
And to the people i called him he didnt pick or i texted hom he didnt annswer im dealing with all of your shit so give me some time obviously i got alot going on rite so be patient or call the cops the freds whoever the fuck you want realtiy is the shit is fucked up by all the water i cant make you happy with the games so let me get your fucking money back or make it hard and i will just let them do what they do and not give us shit back get it
Guys are posting that they were in this for $22,000 and $30,000...

Some more replies:
I dont have any games for sale locally thats not me and there is a fire report stupid come on here with facts and know what your talking about or shut the fuck up
I dont have any games for sale locally thats somone else stupid and there is a fire report come on he with facts or shut the fuck up
A mod for KLOV steps in and what's the most predictable tactic a seller can take when that happens?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Before we get to the mod, someone asks the most reasonable question.
Can you post (or text the buyers) a few pictures of the fire and the damaged games? For the purpose of insurance claim, I assume you took at least a couple correct?
Makes sense. This is the HIROSHIMA OF ARCADE. Surely you snap a pic or something, from your "whare house" that got burned and melted by an "extension cord." (What awful timing! He probably need to run power there to show that the games were working for the pics he never took.)

The reply?
Im not doing shit for any of you thats why i have insurance i dont have to prove anything people will get there mo ey when them claim is settled so fuck off
When you're a piece of shit like this, you turn it around on the people that gave you the money. Of course you do.

One victim says the following:
On the phone you couldn't even name the insurance company. Did you remember it now? Can you post the insurance statement on the games specifically, so we know the games themselves were actually insured? We don't need to talk to the fire marshall, just post some of the many pics you took of the aftermath in order to get the insurance claim started.
I mean... I can name every insurance company I've ever had. This guy doesn't remember who he's been talking to and "dealing with" for the previous 48 hours?

The moderator asks him to cool it. The reply?
Everyone keep talking shit and telling lies and making assumtions you all can deal with the insurance company and when they tell you there not paying for your games because you dont have a policy with them and there only going to pay for my stuff im gonna laugh my ass off and then you can sue me ok or you can be understanding of my situation bare with me and let me get your money back that i dont have at this moment ok and the next piece of shit that threatens me there gonna have a problem if you have a problem with me and you bought a game from me call me im done texting everyone you have my address come here and threaten me to my face so i can beat your ass and load up your fucking fucked up arcade and send you on your way please show up i would love it quit honestly and to the people that understand and are being patient i will make sure your the first to be made whole and im truely sorry about this man
I didnt fuck nobody and i dont give a fuck if you ban me or not im gonna stand up for muself regardles do what you must
No, he actually did fuck over many people here.

It isn't working! He's not getting banned! He tries to up the fake tough guy act to the mod:
Your even against me just by your reply so fuck you to
Thats fine but i dont have prove shit to you so do your job and dont post your opion because you can control the narritive with your post perioed

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, here's the last bit for now. I went to an arcade party one town over last month and this guy has the world's greatest douchebag detector. He saw that the seller was a shitheel a couple years ago.
This is the second person I've seen Crans recommended that ended up being a fucking lunatic. The other was this guy in my Chicken shift thread.

EDIT:
HOLY shit its the same guy! Damn I knew I was getting a bad feeling about it, SAME as when I was dealing with him before. I wish we had gone through his post history!
This is the thread with the meltdown from the seller. So at this point, anyone doing a look back at post history can see that this guy is crazy.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Holy shit man.

Who the hell would be gullible enough to spend that sort of money wire transfer only to someone who can’t even communicate properly; obvious bullshitter alarms aside.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tonight a guy on KLOV ran a background check or something on the dude. Literally a two-page rap sheet. I'll post it tomorrow.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

People really gave this guy money? With not one picture posted or even an address.

Hey I got a trailer and cash money and willing to drive to you.... None of that?

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:06 am People really gave this guy money? With not one picture posted or even an address.

Hey I got a trailer and cash money and willing to drive to you.... None of that?
Yep. I am not victim blaming, but you have it correct. Thousands of dollars went over via a wire transfer. The red flags were:

- Illiterate seller
- No pics
- Wire transfer only
- Only around KLOV for two years
- Was selling PCBs separately in July and nobody had received them
- Acted like a shitboy to my acquaintance Charles in 2020 on KLOV, which nobody remembered
- More shipping excuses. Was going to "drop them off" to Beltmann, which nobody does.

I will post his rap sheet in a sec.

Ice Cream Jonsey

His rap sheet:

Don't take any shit from a flashing yellow light! Look what it does to people! It's what started this giant LIFE OF CRIME.

pinback

Post by pinback »

He seemed fishy from the start!

(pauses for audience laughter)
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Agreed, but hopefully after all this he lowers his prices and I can get in on that Mr. Do! he had.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

with all those driving citations I'm guessing its not THIS Steven Salmon

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The second I saw wire transfers only I could tell it was a scam. My wife worked in a bank for 30+ years and one of the biggest giveaways is a wire transfer to someone the customer never met. People would come into the bank asking to do a wire transfer because they won the Canadian lottery or something and they needed to pay the taxes before the money could be released.

"But...did you buy a ticket for the Canadian Lottery?" my wife would ask.

"No, but I WON! I got a text telling me I WON!"

Then my wife would take out the long stupid-person stick they have under the counter and hit them repeatedly. They didn't really have a stick, but she wishes they did.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Interesting! So there was a human there to help save these people, and now that everything is done on "the online" there is nobody putting their hand up, to possibly see if things are too good to be true.