I Hate Thursday Night Football

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

I Hate Thursday Night Football

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Remember that really exciting Thursday Night Football Game?

Of fucking course you don't. You either don't have the shitty NFL Network, or you DO and you recall that there has never, and will never, be an exciting Thursday Night Game.

I work in six-week software cycles. A cycle is ending Friday. To be a team player, I will work as late as possible the Thursday before a cycle ends to help my team out.

OHH BUT ROGER GOODELL WANTS FOOTBALL ON THURSDAY WAAAAAAARGH

Most of the time I wouldn't care, because it's something like fucking Cleveland Browns versus the Akron Pros or whatever.

But Saints/Cowboys is this Thursday, and it will be a shitty game, granted, but a shitty game I want to see.

I know why they do it. People will watch terrible NFL football, so you might as well spread it out so that more days are covered. A terrible NFL game on a Tuesday afternoon will outdraw game seven of the World Series.

But I wanted noted in my permanent file that I hate Thursday Night Football, and I will always hate it, and I sort of resent the NFL for pulling this shit.

Sports are stupid.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Saints/Cowboys game, while on NFL Network (which nobody gets) is on Saturday. Not Thursday.

I still hate TNF, though.

content beaver

Post by content beaver »

ay ay ay gooder shauhahuahuuauha nayyyy chihuahaha shauahahahah hhahahahaahh shuauua chi hauhuahuah i feed!

Ice Cream Jonsey

2009, and I was ready for Goodell to be fired.

You have Johnny Come Latelys like this:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/roger ... step-down/

But whatever. Simmons is on our side. My sid-- OUR side.

Roger Goodell Must Be Fired

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: I Hate Thursday Night Football

Goodell still decided to have the first round of the draft start Thursday (letting the Thursday part go) at 8PM Eastern even though everyone's at fucking home.

What a piece of shit.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What if the season is cancelled, like MLB or NHL? will it matter?

pinback

Post by pinback »

If this pandemic has taught us anything, it's that no, nobody would miss sports for two seconds if they all evaporated immediately.

That's the power of marketing. Once the marketing stops because there's no product, you wake up and realize, huh, this was a lot of stupid shit I thought was important.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:26 pm If this pandemic has taught us anything, it's that no, nobody would miss sports for two seconds if they all evaporated immediately.

That's the power of marketing. Once the marketing stops because there's no product, you wake up and realize, huh, this was a lot of stupid shit I thought was important.
You are correct. I have been playing text baseball for the last 15 years or something. If it were fake players it would be LESS frustrating. I wouldn't be all, "Why is Jacob deGrom letting up 8 and 5 runs for me in his last two starts."

But holy god, they had to take film crews to the homes of these guys so they could tell us to stay home. And nothing like a multi-millionaire like Tony Gonzalez telling you from his mansion to "stay at home." Thanks, Tony. To lightly paraphrase Mike Stoklasa from RedLetterMedia, there's a whole bunch of awful things going on right now. Celebrities experience none of them.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across some WWE event. I never really cared for wrestling or sports but some people do and I get that part, that they enjoy it. Anyway, they were wrestling in an empty arena due to the quarantine and it reminded me of those sitcom comedies with their laugh tracks removed. It was very bad optics. I'm wondering how much of the cancelled seasons is due to that? Obviously they have the players' health in mind and other more important concerns, but how much of it is the bad optics of millions of people watching a sports game without the energy of the crowd and they just tune out of it entirely?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

It has been like that for weeks now. Kinda sucks. Wrestling is stupid as fuck but it was hilarious and one of the only things me and my girlfriend could agree to watch together.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, not that anyone cares, but here are my impressions of how it went:

1. Roger Goodell is an awful, awkward person and he continues to do a terrible job.
2. You knew that marketing people and ad guys - none of whom matter - were licking each other's faces to make their COVID ADS. Many of them used the phrase, "In these difficult times" or they told us how we are all in this together. More on this in a sec.
3. ESPN still can't do a draft right without trying to make sure that every single sob story got aired. The Packers and Saints drafted two guys whose fathers were dead. On the greatest night of the lives of these young men they have their on-air talent asking them questions about their dead fathers. In one case, the dad has been dead since 2007, I think. Just an amateur-hour and pathetically exploitative tactic made even worse because of the 5 second delays in anyone saying anything.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:55 am 2. You knew that marketing people and ad guys - none of whom matter - were licking each other's faces to make their COVID ADS. Many of them used the phrase, "In these difficult times" or they told us how we are all in this together. More on this in a sec.
I am so glad you mentioned this. Every single ad, from every giant, faceless greedy corporation put on their "get some broad who sounds concerned and sad" voice and told us all how much they cared. Vile and sickening, from the outset. Thank you.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.