Where can I buy beaver CDs?

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Worm

Where can I buy beaver CDs?

Post by Worm »

Well, do I have to find a car trunk or something?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Worm!! Hey, glad to see you over here, buddy. NOW THIS PARTY IS HOPPIN'!!

OK, first off: I couldn't actually charge money for the first two Beaver CDs. Not and still be able to sleep at night, anyway. So send me an e-mail (beaver@zombieworld.com) with your address and I'll hook you up. We have done two CDs previously. In my divorced-from-writing-all-the-songs opinion, I think that the melodies are there, but the production values are crap. (In my defense, that's how things were back in 1995 and 1998 when we recorded them -- these days, every angst in the pangst garage band has a 40-track and a dozen microphones.)

That being said, the bunch of us have been working on-again, off-again on a new CD and right now it's the most on-again it's been in quite some time. I'm hoping for a Jan/2003 release for the new one... it's dependent on me being able to get to San Jose for our sax guy's parts.

But yeah, send me a mail and I'll send them out. Just set your expectations to "minimum" beforehand.
Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey cool!

Robb, you got any out on the web? for my downloading pleasure?

I just got thru converting all my master tapes to CD last week and I want to know what 'production values' mean from another basement band.

THE
FOSTEX
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

If you go right here: http://www.joltcountry.com/beaver/index.html you can right click and save-to-disk two of our songs. (A-K-Q and Becky Nailed Recchi.) If you go through MP3.com, you can download Pill and, er, the inferior-quality version of A-K-Q. MP3.com may ask you to register beforehand. I'll make it my mission to put Pill up as a download from the www site.

By lousy production values, I guess I mean things like the following:

1) While the guitar and the keyboards go straight from their source to the four track, the vocals and saxophone do not (a mic is held up instead). This has the effect of there being white space in the range not used by the vox and sax. I probably don't have the right technical term for what I'm describing. A sort of high "hissing" noise? Not quite that either. Any audiophiles know what I mean?

2) We didn't have access to a drum set on all but two songs. So we did the best we could. That unfortunately means "canned" drum sounds in some songs.

3) With four tracks available and only four tracks available, we didn't have space to fill out some of the songs with additional parts without mixing two or three tracks down to two, and the process we used for that killed a lot of the sound.

4) I was often in the same area as another band member for maybe a weekend, tops, at the end there. So everyone else would have to the learn and play the song well enough to make a take we could go with in a relatively limited and rushed amount of time. Ideally it'd be nice to have four hours a song, per track. But it never worked out that way.

We have addressed all of the above for the songs we currently have under development. Kurt (the guy who plays guitar) owns a much nicer four-track, I've programmed all the new drum tracks to be completely unique to the song, and we've taken a lot more time to get the tracks finished. If we get the new CD finished I'd like to think that it will represent the best 10 or 12 songs I've ever written and be a significant step forward. In the meantime, the old stuff is still out and about. I'll try to put the old stuff that seemed to come out allright up on the site.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:Hey cool!
I just got thru converting all my master tapes to CD last week and I want to know what 'production values' mean from another basement band.
Hey, does this mean that you have music of your own that could be made available to the masses? Hook a brotherman up, Vark!

Worm

Post by Worm »

I'm glad you remember me. I mean how can you forgot I must of sent you six e-mails on that one party of Fallacy.

This is really cool not charging for the CDs and everything.

You are a little to hard on your music and yourself. I really liked AKQ and Pill I also liked everything I heard on A Crimson Spring. I mean sure it may not be remixed and digitally remastered ... but, I really do believe a good amount of music doesn't need that high production value to be good. This may seem like I'm blowing hot air up your butt. I really enjoy your music and can't wait for the CDs.

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I can see what you're saying about the sound quality on those samples. Personally, I've rebooted up ACS a couple times just to breeze through the initial conversation with Hollywood and rock out to Candystripe (or Candystriper or whatever the fuck the proper name is). There the vocals seem mixed fairly well with the rest of the music. If the new CD sounds like that, that'd be cool and the gang.

On a related note, is there anywhere a listing of which song goes with which scene? I figured out the last two were URT by the brilliant detective work of going to their website and downloading the songs themselves, but for the most part I'm otherwise at a loss.

Ice Cream Jonsey

You betcha:

(Release 1.0.04 had a couple of song snippets that the competition release lacked)

At the Graveyard: Shell (Beaver)
Outside the Liquor Hole Blue Tavern: Candystripe (Beaver)
Inside the Tavern: I'm Down (Hallow)
The City Comics Corp. Shop: Carnival Baby (Beaver)
Klan Man's Scene: Agroculture (Bratwurst Orange)
Side Street before the final meeting with Snowman: Ghost of a Chance (Beaver)
Lair of the Red Wraith: Silent Hill (Beaver)
The Red Wraith's Retelling of Venger's Origin: Sunshine Delay (Parrish)
When Mister Mucous Arrives: Deepest Knife (URT)
The Final Scene: Not Just One (URT)

All the Beaver songs listed will probably end up on the new collection that we're working on, re-mixed and so forth.

(Since ACS came out I've been made aware that Rush did a song called "Ghost of a Chance," so we'll probably rename that one. Also, we had "Silent Hill" as a name for a song at about the same time as when that Playstation game got popular, so we'll probably re-name that one slightly as well. )

I should also say that Rybread Celsius (whose band is Bratwurst Orange) is a genius (albeit a crazy one), as Agroculture fits that scene really well. I can't say that I'd go on a road trip with a mix CD filled with 12 songs that sound like that one, but it definitely helped out with the effect I was going for in that little stretch of IF.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I haven't had a chance to record anything new in years. The Keyboard / singer moved to Livonia, and that was about that. I keep putting snippets of possible new songs onto tape for future use but nothing becomes of them.

This whole full time job thing sucks. It's burning out the muse.

THE
50+ EACH WEEK
AARDVARK

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Great Caesar's fuck! That was Rybread?!?