Found music

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Found music

Post by AArdvark »

We were moving some workbenches today at the shop and I found this in corner.

The label says Hendrix on both sides. I cleaned it up some, it was covered with twenty plus years of shop grime. Gonna try playing it in a bit, see if it's a lost recording or something.

THE
FOSSIL TAPE
AARDVARK

bryanb

Re: Found music

Post by bryanb »

I'm hoping it's going to turn out to be a mixtape featuring the work of the lesser known Hendrix brother, Billy Bob.

THE
SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS MY COUSIN
BRYAN B.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well it is a Jimi Hendrix concert. Not sure which show until I do a little research. Someone recorded over parts of it with other music and part of a local DJ show. I believe they were calling into the radio station and recorded themselves talking to the disk jockey. Preliminary search tells me it was before 2008 because that's when the DJ left the station

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

That's really cool! I mean, it sucks if you just wanted to listen to an uninterrupted Hendrix concert, but I enjoy listening to old radio recordings, particularly the ones with random DJ banter and commercials for stuff that doesn't exist anymore. If the caller happens to suddenly start talking to the DJ about bridges, cars, and boats, I think I have a pretty good idea of who made the tape.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I once had a couple Led Zeppelin bootlegs that I copied from someone's albums. They were rare as hell in the early Eighties, sounded like crap though. Now I could probably find them in ten minutes online, cleaned up and in 320K format. I suspect the Hendrix concert would be the same way. I'm gonna rip the tape sides to mp3 and then put something better on it. Maybe K-Tel hits of the 80s and leave it in my boom box

Flack

Post by Flack »

I dipped my toe into trading cassette bootlegs before jumping into the world of VHS concert bootlegs with both feet in the late 90s. I spent hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars on dubbing concerts and trading them through the mail. I eventually tossed my tape collection once the same shows started showing up on YouTube.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

I brought my eldest to House of Guitars for an amp cord a few weeks back and they had a ton of old bootleg cassettes kickin' around. My teens would not entertain my nostalgia =(
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I guess it's too late for them to get into trouble for selling bootleg shows. I know you used to be able to get vinyl bootlegs there but you had to 'be in the know'