I'd like to hear a few words about #9.

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

I'd like to hear a few words about #9.

Post by pinback »

At your leisure, of course.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: I'd like to hear a few words about #9.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I will do this for you.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

He was the best player on a team that I follow and I can't believe how lucky I am that I got to watch every one of Drew Brees's games with the Saints.

It was bad before he (and our coach, Sean Payton) came to town. We had one playoff victory in 2000... and got blown out the next game. Like, it was over within 8 game minutes. In some ways I care the most about those 1998-2005 teams, but when Drew came to town everything changed immediately.

I have memories of thinking that he was fragile. We added Brees and Reggie Bush that off-season (and many others) for Brees's first year. We thought he would crumble as soon as someone hit him. And... in that first game... 3 step drop. Pass to Bush. 3 step drop. Pass to Bush. We didn't know it at the time, but Payton had fixed our offensive line. But you can't injure a guy when he takes three steps and fires a missile.

It's unfortunate that these last couple of years have people thinking that Brees has a lack of arm strength, because he was firing rockets all over the field for the first 13 years he played with us. The year we won the Super Bowl, 2009, I was in New Orleans for their week 12 game against the Patriots. The Saints were 10-0 and being in the city leading up to the game the sense was that this was the real test. The Patriots were already the best team in the history of all sports at that point. Being in the Dome was amazing and Brees threw for 371 yards and five touchdowns. Brees beat Brady in the regular season and then three hall of fame QBs in the post-season in Warner, Favre and Manning. I would even say that he had peaked at that point, the 2011 team was probably the best one we ever had.

To me, Brees is the best player in football. TAWWMY has all the rings and I am sure he will get another one this season, I mean why not. But if you're talking individual players instead of team championships, well, he's the best passer in the most important position in the game.

But I think really why you were asking was because of a more personal take. He just seemed like a good guy. The internet will go out of its way to savage anybody. I'm trying to stay off reading Reddit and I guess Brees was involved with some MLM at some point. I would assume that he was involved in terms of doing commercials, but to listen to dumb fucking Redditors he was going house to house taking money from babies for fish oil. Between that and him conflating kneeling during the national anthem with disrespecting that thar flag -- an opinion, by the way, held by a lot more people in this country than most bleeding hearts want to admit, although not me personally - and to see him shit on by his teammates, when catching passes from Brees made millionaires out of at least a dozen, if not two dozen kids was a bit rich. I used to wonder why people didn't like my stuff, but as the years go by you don't care and now I really don't care. The country turned on Drew Brees, he was America's Greatest Villain for 48 hours. If it can turn on him, it doesn't matter if I get three starred on IFDB or whatever.

He would come back so many times at the end of the games only for the defense to blow it. It makes me sad that Payton assembled the defense he needed and we had to fight the refs these last few years too. Virtually every single Saints game since the fixed game has had a sequence where we have scored a touchdown and the refs have taken it back. It's obvious, it's not controversial to say that it's intentional - it makes me sad that they couldn't wait a year to "punish" the Saints for whatever reason (probably because Goodell hates our coach) and wait until Nazi-loving Winston is out there running the team or whatever.

I never thought I'd get a chance to see a good dude who was the best player on my team. This is what it was like to follow Gretzky or Jordan as far as I am concerned. I guess he is going to get into sports announcing, so I look forward to him making it maybe 5 people whose voice I will leave on to call football games.

The one Brees jersey I own was a $9 replica I got off eBay a few years back that had a printing error.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Now we're not sure if he is retiring. He hasn't retired yet! I am fine with him having another year. Why not? Get some dude on the roster to share snaps in the playoffs, some guy who can chuck it 70 yards.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:33 pm TAWWMY has all the rings and I am sure he will get another one this season, I mean why not.
It's important for future historians that even though the Chiefs were a juggernaut, we all expected Brady to win another championship.

Do you guys like when the kids today say "chip"? Instead of "championship"? Just curious. I wish them all dead.

pinback

Post by pinback »

#12 is making all these retiring guys look like failures.

I have never heard anyone say "chip" for "championship", and now I hate them.

I have heard people call touchdowns "tuddies", but I don't hate them.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is the first moment that I have ever heard those two slang terms and hate everyone who propagates them. Just another reason to keep the sound off. The culture can evolve without me, thank you.

THE
NOT A KILLER DOG BRO
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have tried to keep up on slang. I like slang! I hate "chip", I now hate "tuddies" and something happened during my years away from hockey. Kids say CHIRP to describe one player talking shit to another and oh god, if they could only see themselves the way adults see them.

Man, between this and the LeBron thread I now I am coming off as 200 years old. I'll do something immature as hell soon.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I guess it's official now? I thought it was official before, but now I guess it's super-official.

Meanwhile, #12 signed a four-year extension. He is never going to stop playing football.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Bucs were one of the most pathetic teams I have ever seen when we played them for the second time in the regular season. Why not sign on for four more years, clearly dude is on a hot streak.

Every Bills fan I know is hoping for a chance to beat his ass in the Super Bowl now that the Bills are good again.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Annnnd we have an awkward douchebag all locked up to replace him. Possibly a rapist, definitely a thief, definitely a neo-Nazi.

I really hope this is just a bridge year and we draft a quarterback this year or next. :(

Sports are pain.