FLACK AND PINBACK: COHEED

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

FLACK AND PINBACK: COHEED

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is open to everyone but I am curious as to Flack and Pinner's take on the band Coheed and Cambria. They are among the "hardest" music I actually enjoy instead of endure, which I know means that everyone here will hate them since anything softer than Dimmu Borgir might as well be K-POP. But I thought I'd ask.

Here are a couple songs by them because YouTube links work for the elite:

And if you guys already called me a pussy for liking this band, I couldn't find it with the phpBB3 search, so STICK IT UP YOUR ASS.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Re: FLACK AND PINBACK: COHEED

Post by Billy Mays »

gay

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Not gay

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is a band that everyone will recommend to you if they know you like Rush. I like Rush. I've tried to like this. Not happening.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

They're okay in a "I brought wine coolers to a cocaine party."

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You,'ll all pay
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I think this message hates me. Twice I've tried to post a reply, and twice I've accidentally slammed the window shut because instead of hitting Shift-W, I hit Ctrl-W, which in Firefox closes the window or tab, and cannot be disabled.

After the first time, I even checkpointed the message by saving it in a separate app but things were working so well I got lulled into a false sense of security, forgot the danger, and didn't checkpoint frequently enough, giving the universe a chance to do to me what Jonsey suggested at the end of his original message.

Now that I'm properly pissed off, I'll remember to frequently checkpoint.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 pm I think this message hates me. Twice I've tried to post a reply, and twice I've accidentally slammed the window shut because instead of hitting Shift-W, I hit Ctrl-W, which in Firefox closes the window or tab, and cannot be disabled.

After the first time, I even checkpointed the message by saving it in a separate app but things were working so well I got lulled into a false sense of security, forgot the danger, and didn't checkpoint frequently enough, giving the universe a chance to do to me what Jonsey suggested at the end of his original message.

Now that I'm properly pissed off, I'll remember to frequently checkpoint.
Couldn't you have just retyped the message in the amount of time it took you to type out how you lost the message?

pinback

Post by pinback »

PAUL YOU KNOW THERE'S NO THICK NY-STYLE PIZZA RIGHT??

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This is the message that, so far, I have tried to post 3 times. Sorry I didn't check out the other C&C song, I spent so much time doing this post 3 times i'll try to get to it.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am This is open to everyone but I am curious as to Flack and Pinner's take on the band Coheed and Cambria.
What should be more surprising is my take on it. I actually found it listenable. I listened to the entire 4:40 of the first song, The Hound of Blood and, which, while nowhere as good as any of my favorites, it was interesting. The organ opening reminded me of a Who song, but I can't remember What.

In doing research for this posting, I checked some songs. In looking for the one that was similar to this Coheed and Cambria song, I found Who Are You, which isn't the one, but if you listen you'll notice two things

1. They were doing Social Distancing decades before it was required! There are plexiglass separators between some of the musicians, and even at that, every one is at least 6 feet from anyone else.
2. This is the "dirty" version, the one radio stations can't play - except overnight - because it has the line "Who the fuck are you?"

I think I found it. While not really similar, compare The organ in The Who's We Don't Get Fooled Again

With The Hound of Blood and

Speaking of Social Distancing and going back to the Coheed and Cambria song The Hound of Blood and, I found the lyrics both edgy and current [1], such as:

Covid, covid, covid, you got to give it to me
Just like you wanted to
Come on and set me free, Yeah!
A guy needs time for the curing
You're the wrong I need

[1] Before anyone goes apeshit, yes, I am aware I am misquoting some of the lyrics. This is called "a disclaimer buried in the fine print."
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 amAnd if you guys already called me a pussy for liking this band, I couldn't find it with the phpBB3 search,
The search function on this bbs is like someone with an IQ of room temperature: It's defective or retarded.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 amso STICK IT UP YOUR ASS.
That's gonna/gotta hurt.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:10 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 pm Now that I'm properly pissed off, I'll remember to frequently checkpoint.
Couldn't you have just retyped the message in the amount of time it took you to type out how you lost the message?
If you read my response to Jonsey you'll see it's much more complex.
pinback wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:23 pm PAUL YOU KNOW THERE'S NO THICK NY-STYLE PIZZA RIGHT??
I think if you compare a thin crust single-cheese and sausage pizza to a regular crust, sausage and double-cheese New York, it is noticably thicker. What you need to do is order one, more on.

(That last is a double pun.)
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This thread has gone way, way off the rails

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:23 pm PAUL YOU KNOW THERE'S NO THICK NY-STYLE PIZZA RIGHT??
There's a place for closure now:

https://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB3/view ... =9&t=11511

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:46 pm I think if you compare a thin crust single-cheese and sausage pizza to a regular crust, sausage and double-cheese New York, it is noticably thicker. What you need to do is order one, more on.
Paul, I want you to do a Google search and find an image of something you think is a "NY-style pizza". I have had world-class NY-style pizzas all over the world (except for NY), so I think I know I what I'm talking about.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Google search probably won't work, it's Jerry's Subs and Pizza, a regional franchise headquartered in the DC area, so they probably aren't well represented.

Okay, I was wrong, but partially right. An image search returns maybe 95% to 99% of the images relating to Jerry's Subs and pizza to be subs or menus. Pizza images either don't do justice to the pizza appearance or are hard to find.

Jerry's makes a delicious New York style pizza with whatever toppings you want to pay for. It feels thicker and tastes richer than other delivery pizzas I've ordered, although (at that time) you could not get it delivered, you had to go in. I think the last time I was there, over the Muzak in the restaurant, I heard the song "Rox in the Box" by the Decemberists, which I think I either reported here or on Caltrops.

Jesus Christ, I found it: https://www.caltrops.com/pointy.php?act ... &pid=16501
It's from June, 2014, five and-a-half years ago. No, actually, it's almost six years ago.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am This is open to everyone but I am curious as to Flack and Pinner's take on the band Coheed and Cambria. They are among the "hardest" music I actually enjoy instead of endure..

And if you guys already called me a pussy for liking this band, I couldn't find it with the phpBB3 search, so STICK IT UP YOUR ASS.
Back when they were first getting big I had someone recommend to me because I mentioned that I liked King Diamond. “You will like it.” they promised. I did not BUT it isn’t horrible. My girlfriend really liked them too. Me and you have more common music tastes with bands like Hall N Oates.

I’ve found as I get older certain metal bands that I used to enjoy just don’t do it for me anymore. Sounds more like noise and bullshit. God Dethroned is the main one that comes to mind at the moment. I don’t do k-pop but I really do enjoy some weird 70s-90s Japanese pop and lounge music.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Jerry's. Jerry's subs and goddamn pizza, from Maryland. Home of the "perfect pizza slice".

For those who have never lived in the area, Jerry's is the ubiquitous chain of pizza/sub joints sprinkled liberally around the state of Maryland. I'm sure most states have something like it, a local chain, not big enough to go national, but that's pretty much everywhere in that state.

This. This local Domino's knock-off chain. This is the Commander's experience with "NY style pizza".

You just wanna cry.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Someone should call them and order a Coheed and Cheese.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 am Jerry's. Jerry's subs and goddamn pizza, from Maryland. Home of the "perfect pizza slice".

For those who have never lived in the area, Jerry's is the ubiquitous chain of pizza/sub joints sprinkled liberally around the state of Maryland.
It's also in Virginia. There's two that I know of, one in Alexandria on U.S. Route 1, and one in the shopping concourse in the non-sterile part[1] of Reagan National Airport. I know these because I've eaten pizza or subs from both outlets.

Shows what you know. As does your next sneer.
pinback wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 am This local Domino's knock-off chain.
They are not a "knock off" of Dominos. For one, Jerry's has in-restaurant dining (or did until covid-19 changed that) or you could pick up a pizza but they did not offer delivery. Dominos offers only delivery or pick-up. And, to parody the "you're no Jack Kennedy" quip, "I've had Jerrys Pizza, I've had Jerry's subs. Dominos, you're no Jerry's." I had a Dominos pizza because they had something Pizza Hut or Pizza Boli's (now THAT is an actual Maryland-regional pizza chain) did not offer: a Philly steak pizza. And that was actually good enough to rate as edible, up from Dominos usual "not fit for human consumption" taste level.

Comparing Jerry's to Dominos is comparing apples to (rotten) oranges. Jerry's makes delicious pizza. Dominos usually makes mediocre pizza. "Dominos is the place you go when you're too drunk or hung over to find a decent place to get a real, actual pizza. "
pinback wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 am This is the Commander's experience with "NY style pizza".
You just wanna cry.
Okay, then, based on your experience from having eaten Jerry's New York-style pizza, please explain without using sneers and contempt over something that you probably don't even have a clue, why you consider it not as good as other New York-style pizza. Go ahead, enlighten us. As opposed to your previous message which was nothing but contempt and sneers.

Let me give an example. If you're like most of the people here, you don't like Trump. Maybe you even loathe him. Presuming you aren't just plain turned off by his personality, I'm sure you could give specific, articulatable facts as to why you hate his policies.

So let's do a similar thing. I find Jerry's New York-style pizza to be "satisfying and delicious." You apparently do not. Please proceed to explain using facts why you think Jerry's is not as good as other New York-style pizzas, or in what manner other specific New York-style pizzas are demonstrably better.

Best example would be to show me specifically where it would be possible for me to order a better New York-style pizza.

Facts, not nose upturning and sneering. That does not teach us anything. If you don't like New York-style, just say that and we'll consider the conversation closed with a loss for you.

[1] For those wondering where an airport has "sterile" parts, that's the part after TSA inspection. Reagan National Airport does not allow visitors without tickets in the sterile part of the airport, AFAIK, so you can't say good bye to loved ones at the gate, you have to do so before the inspection area.
- J.R.R. Tolkien