Uncut Gems

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Uncut Gems

Post by pinback »

I hate Adam Sandler. He was terrible on SNL. His stand-up was all terrible. His run of comedy movies that made him a multi-zillionaire are all, without exception, terrible. He is terrible. He's just terrible!

Except when he actually acts. And when he acts, he is in the top five best actors not only of this generation, but that I've ever seen. It's incredible. That string continues here, and he's just getting better. It's just... impossible to understand.

This is a "slow burn" movie about a man whose entire life is comprised of various schemes, none of which quite work out right, and the movie is an exercise in tightening screws. I saw this movie Thursday night, and by the end, the screws are tightened so tight that I couldn't get to sleep until 3 AM, four hours after the movie ended. I don't feel comfortable calling it a truly great movie, but it is great 1) as an exercise in tension-building, 2) as a showcase for Sandler, who is on-screen in virtually every frame, save for two or three minutes at the beginning and end.

3.5 stars? I dunno. It's a ride.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Uncut Gems

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

One of your co-workers met Adam Sandler last year right outside the area where we work in Denver and it is my understanding that Adam was delightful and posed for a photo.

I am a little shocked that we're going to trash Happy Gilmore, the Waterboy and Billy Madison here. I woulda thought we were all in agreement that those two were 90s comedy classics. Big Daddy is saved only by a key plot point being Jon Stewart impregnating a woman after Joe Carter hit a home run to win the 1993 World Series, the last time baseball of any kind brought me happiness.

You have sold me on this film as I liked the other one that I know he did in a dramatic role where he rips the phone off the wall. By your buddy there. (Wasn't "Spanglish" also a drama?)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 amI am a little shocked that we're going to trash Happy Gilmore, the Waterboy and Billy Madison here.
I'm pretty sure it was hyperbole used to emphasize how good his dramatic acting abilities are.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I posted this in the wrong base.

pinback

Post by pinback »

1. I cannot say for sure if I saw all the movies that we were supposed to agree were comedy classics. I know I saw Happy Gilmore, and in the words of Peter Griffin, "On your mark, get set, terrible!" I don't like movies like that. Sticking with the golf theme, after years of pressure, I finally saw Caddyshack, and it's just unspeakably bad. It's just a kind of movie I don't like, I guess.

2. I've seen Sandler in three dramatic roles, Punch-Drunk Love, Funny People, and now Uncut Gems, and he's just... just spectacular in all of them. Flawless. Amazing. PDL had the advantage of also being one of the greatest movies ever, but he was a big part of it.

3. I have also heard he's just a great guy. His Howard Stern interview did nothing but confirm that.

To sum up, he's a great guy, and a shockingly great actor. I just hate all the stuff he got famous for. HATE IT. It sucks.

God is he great.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I used the word "just" way, WAY too many times in the above post(s). Just embarrassing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I thought I was the only guy on the planet who did not get Caddyshack. I straddle the line between having lots of friends that are into computer stuff and lots of friends that are into sports. The sports guys LOVE Caddyshack. Was the problem with me? No..... no. No it was not.

Hopefully nobody defends Caddyshack because boy, that would be a contrarian view for no reason.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Caddyshack is wiggity wack.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 am I thought I was the only guy on the planet who did not get Caddyshack. I straddle the line between having lots of friends that are into computer stuff and lots of friends that are into sports. The sports guys LOVE Caddyshack. Was the problem with me? No..... no. No it was not.

Hopefully nobody defends Caddyshack because boy, that would be a contrarian view for no reason.
Caddyshack for me is not a whole movie to watch, rather a number of funny scenes and a bunch to be fast forwarded through.
Good ones:
- any scene with Rodney Dangerfield, most of the scenes with Chevy Chase
- any scene with Bill Murray
- waiter kid throwing up in the Porsche

Bad ones
- most anything else
- anything with the damn gophers
- the stupid golf contest at the end

I could watch Rodney Dangerfield's dinner scene every day and still laugh:

pinback

Post by pinback »

It's funny because he farted.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:38 pm Sticking with the golf theme, after years of pressure, I finally saw Caddyshack, and it's just unspeakably bad. It's just a kind of movie I don't like, I guess.
I thought Caddyshack was great, it was hilarious. About the one thing I can agree on, was the "inside the groundskeeper's shack" scene between Bill Murray and Chevy Chase sucked, that entire segment could have been cut and the movie would have been better. But despite this I thought it was funny, and fun. Rodney Dangerfield was never better.

I saw the "making of Caddyshack" video on YouTube, and basically it was described as an "inmates running the asylum" situation in which the crew filmed all day, got high and partied all night, and still managed to get the movie done on time and on budget, and it made a clanking fortune at the box office. Despite the fact this was Harold Ramis' first time directing a film.

However, I discovered that Murray and Chase in reality didn't like each other much, and this showed in the lack of on-screen chemistry.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:05 pm I thought Caddyshack was great,
it was hilarious.
I consider the matter closed.