My favorite electronic song

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

My favorite electronic song

Post by Jizaboz »

In this thread rather than laying out a top 10 list or whatever, I will let you guys know my favorite (electronic) song.

I love this song just as much as much if not more than I did when I was 4 years old. I've been meaning to submit this for years but well.. yeah I'll leave you to your own conclusions on that one. Here we have:

- A racer who who likes to drive real fast.
- A pirate who likes to drink, steal, and kill.
- A Barbie doll
- A Doctor.

This weird song has taken on so many meanings to me since I was 4. My recent conclusion why this song sticks with me beside just sounding cool is:

- Yup, did the racing thing.
- A software pirate whole likes to drink and steal and kill things in video games."Rahahahaha! Rahahahaha!". These guys were predicting music piracy as well with this back in the 1980s. (Yup, I identify)
- The idea of a doll with brains. That concept seemed completely acceptable to me as a kid after watching Space Hunter. In the 1980s I asked for "Space Barbie" to go along with my man's toys. I was fucking thrilled I actually got it. Today, I've been playing more play as a "doll" in PSO2 just because I'd rather look at that than my ugly man avatar. I've had dreams of having wonderful, but empty relationships in the future with robot chicks.
- The doctor is obvious. The doctor charges you too much. Doctor Steal and here's your bill. It's just gotten worse since the 1980s with these insane pharma commercials.

DEVO is the future. DEVO is the de-evolutuion of everything.

Album:

Live:

The "summary" part at the end too is fucking awesome. "I'm a big pirate and I like to steal." "I'm a barbie doll but I got brains!" Like I can picture each head spitting out the words.. just like they would some times do with their stage props; this crazy video in a background or actual head props laughing back and forth at each other during the "peekaboo" song.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Re: My favorite electronic song

Post by Jizaboz »

I’m listening to it for the 14991 time now. Please tell me someone at least has heard this wizardry.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I think I heard this on Dr. Demento once.....

I never got into Devo

Flack

Post by Flack »

I had never heard this track before -- thanks for sharing it. I only know like three Devo songs and they are one of the bands I would like to just sit down and listen to their entire discography sometime. I feel like there are a lot of hidden gems out there of theirs.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I guess we could say Devo took enthusiasm and was able to whip it, whip it good.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

We could, but let's not.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:50 am I had never heard this track before -- thanks for sharing it. I only know like three Devo songs and they are one of the bands I would like to just sit down and listen to their entire discography sometime. I feel like there are a lot of hidden gems out there of theirs.
When I was about 4 years old I discovered my older sister had the "Oh No It's Devo" album and I begged to have it recorded to cassette to play on my "jam box". This music was just incredibly awesome to me as a kid. Still thankful she compiled. Also, about a year later I got my first Casio keyboard for Christmas.

Besides Speed Racer, some other obscure Demo favorites of mine are:

- What I Must Do
- I desire
- Mongoloid
- Big Mess
- Patterns
- Peek A Boo
- Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA
- Snowball
- Time Out for Fun

Gates of Steel is also a good one but it's probably nearly as popular as Whip It was.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I just re-read this and it sounds like I'm dissing Devo because of the Dr. Demento reference. Sorry about that, it's not how I meant to come across, it's just that I've only ever heard Whip It.
I've always mentally put Devo in the same category as the B-52s, a late seventies half-serious half-comedic band.
Remember, my opinion doesn't count much here because I spent the late seventies collecting Chipmunks albums.

THE
DID I SAY THAT
OUT LOUD
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm I just re-read this and it sounds like I'm dissing Devo because of the Dr. Demento reference. Sorry about that, it's not how I meant to come across, it's just that I've only ever heard Whip It.
I've always mentally put Devo in the same category as the B-52s, a late seventies half-serious half-comedic band.
Remember, my opinion doesn't count much here because I spent the late seventies collecting Chipmunks albums.

THE
DID I SAY THAT
OUT LOUD
AARDVARK
Nah dude yr fine. I totally agree with the B-52s category. Devo themselves when they were on American Bandstand (I may be wrong. I was like 6) when asked WTF Devo meant they responded something to the effect of "We are the de-evolution of your music. This is only the beginning." Man, were they right.

Comedic bands are odd for obvious reason. I was always really into GWAR before Dave OD'd and people called them a joke band.. I always thought that was BS. They are a great band that also happens to be weird/funny. However, many people just don't "get" Devo just like I will never get a stupid fucking "band" that dresses up as scary clowns or scarecrows.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Half-serious bands ironically tend to have better musicians in them than "straight" bands. B-52s and Devo are excellent examples. Primus is an excellent example. There are other excellent examples, but I needed to have thought of them before I started writing this post.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 am Half-serious bands ironically tend to have better musicians in them than "straight" bands. B-52s and Devo are excellent examples. Primus is an excellent example. There are other excellent examples, but I needed to have thought of them before I started writing this post.
Yes, Primus is a perfect example of this that I also did not think of.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 am Half-serious bands ironically tend to have better musicians in them than "straight" bands. B-52s and Devo are excellent examples. Primus is an excellent example. There are other excellent examples, but I needed to have thought of them before I started writing this post.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh we're going to give the B-52s a compliment now?

Don't they have three people in the band who can only sing?

I will entertain the idea that Ricky Wilson could really play. I will allow that thought to enter my head.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I almost forgot one of the best ones! Heard it tonight in a.. uh.. virtual dance party. I can explain that later.

RACE OF DOOM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm Remember, my opinion doesn't count much here because I spent the late seventies collecting Chipmunks albums.
'Vark, everybody did weird shit during the '70s. Does anyone remember the clothes, the hairdos, the free love attitude that spilled over from the '60s? Sex in the '70s was exactly like human interaction in 2019: you could safely have contact without protection. And anything you could catch was easily treatable.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 am
AArdvark wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm Remember, my opinion doesn't count much here because I spent the late seventies collecting Chipmunks albums.
'Vark, everybody did weird shit during the '70s. Does anyone remember the clothes, the hairdos, the free love attitude that spilled over from the '60s? Sex in the '70s was exactly like human interaction in 2019: you could safely have contact without protection. And anything you could catch was easily treatable.
And my dad didn’t bother with proper oil disposal! Just chuck that shit out in some weeds you want to die and contaminate the local streams!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻