NBA (2019-2020)

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: NBA (2019-2020)

Post by pinback »

I hear the food in Rochester is fabulous, though.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Where?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

Rochester.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Knuckles the CLown wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:25 pm
Flack wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 am
Knuckles the CLown wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:06 pm I want them to do it. Make a professional league based on social justice. Please god do this. This is the kind of disaster needed in 2020.
Can we get your take on eSports, for a fr... guy who posted here for a month?
I was posting here while you were making Comatrari's out of spare console parts and that slap dick of a basketball franchise you pretend to know anything about was in it's rightful place. I only post here semi-monthly cause the post quality is about as shit as redditt.
I was making a reference to pro-eSports Finnsternis, an old regular who came (and left) since the last time you were here. And while it wasn't directed toward you, an insult from Knuckles is as good to me as a compliment from most other men. Thank you sir, may I have another.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Knuckles the CLown

Post by Knuckles the CLown »

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 pm How do youy become knowledable then?

ANd you're one to talk because you moved from Rochetser, New York to Shaker Heights, Ohoio. Is it poverty you're trapped in, or have you not discoered that your attitude doesn't work? UNless you cunt being miserable, fucked up, and living in some of the wors tplaces in the US as "winning."

And IO've slept in ditches and I still think (from hat i"e hjeard) that Rocheste ris god awfil for actual humans..
I'm completely lost. I've never lived in Shaker Heights. That gag wore off about 8 years ago. IDC care what you say about Rochester, I just live here and have no attraction to it. I've never slept in a ditch though so you got me there.
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

Knuckles the CLown

Flack wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:34 pm
Knuckles the CLown wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:25 pm
Flack wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 am

Can we get your take on eSports, for a fr... guy who posted here for a month?
I was posting here while you were making Comatrari's out of spare console parts and that slap dick of a basketball franchise you pretend to know anything about was in it's rightful place. I only post here semi-monthly cause the post quality is about as shit as redditt.
I was making a reference to pro-eSports Finnsternis, an old regular who came (and left) since the last time you were here. And while it wasn't directed toward you, an insult from Knuckles is as good to me as a compliment from most other men. Thank you sir, may I have another.
The only E-sports I know about is the idiots who play madden in tournaments and for the Madden Championships. Based on that they are fucking horrible. The "Madden Belt" is won by who can exploit the game flaws the best. These flaws as you can imagine from an EA made game are endless. In the end it has nothing to do with sports but taking advantage of bad programming.

So the guy who won the EA sponsored Madden Tourney this year did this. Basically you choose players and construct a team prior but it has to fit under a certain salary cap so everyone doesn't just make a team with the best players in the game. The guy who won this year found several major flaws and rode them to the championship.

While everyone spent a good chunk of their "Budget" on Superstar X players especially QB's..(players that go beyond ratings and have abilities that are basically position based power ups).

The winner- Chose a left-handed Punter and played him at QB. Never passed, only ran and used the extra cap space to create a defense that couldn't be scored on. He won a simulation mode (supposed to be realistic football play) e-sport championship with punter Tres Way as his QB without ever passing.... I can go in to further detail and post the articles but a quick google search will tell you why having a left handed QB to hand off with gave him a massive advantage and how he won.

So I think E-sports are dumb.
the last group complained, quite tellingly They said, "Why don't you have a spoon that just says 'Earth?' It would save time

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is the greatest happening in the history of online play. It's AMAZING.

Knuckles experiences the worst of gaming in a way that the rest of us can only dream of and the stories are hilarious.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Knuckles the CLown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:54 amThe only E-sports I know about is the idiots who play madden in tournaments and for the Madden Championships.
MOBA E-sports are a big deal in South Korea.

Knuckles the CLown

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:37 am
Knuckles the CLown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:54 amThe only E-sports I know about is the idiots who play madden in tournaments and for the Madden Championships.
MOBA E-sports are a big deal in South Korea.
I don't even know where that is.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Retro, you are %100 correct.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Knuckles the CLown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:46 pm
Billy Mays wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:37 am MOBA E-sports are a big deal in South Korea.
I don't even know where that is.
It's just south of North Korea.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The NBA Finals started last week. I've been trying to watch a few games but without all the regular fanfare, they don't look or feel any different than the "regular season" games in the bubble. To be honest, they almost look like scrimmages. The question before any of this started was, "will these games feel like real NBA games?" And the answer is, no, not really. The artificially injected crowd sounds help a little, but the "wall of Zoom faces" just seems weird. It's an odd gimmick that doesn't give the impression people are there at all and is absolutely necessary to pull off the "we're all watching this together" illusion that television has been attempting to pull off since the introduction of the laugh track. There's nothing in this new games that makes you think, "this is live."

Last night the Thunder pulled out a win in overtime against the Houston Rockets, taking the series to 1-2 and avoiding the insurmountable 0-3 hole. The Thunder were only able to eek out a win against the Westbrook-less Rockets after Games "Weird Beard" Harden fouled out in OT. The Thunder are simply delaying the inevitable, and while it's not in the spirit of competition, the sooner they get out of the bubble, come home and regroup, the better off they'll be.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

What are your thoughts on the whole "Bubble Concept," Flack?

When I heard about those concepts being floated for MLB, the NBA, and even the NFL the response I was hoping for and did hit back, were that they as people, weren't happy with being cloistered off from their friend's and family for the entire season. The theory and execution do work in reality, but it seems far, FAR more manipulative of the Team Owners than usual.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

If the NBA does not complete the season, have the playoffs, and award a team the title, all sorts of things get messed up. Probably the biggest problem is that the NBA and the player's union would have to sit down and modify the collective bargaining agreement, which could open up a huge can of worms. Another big consideration is that the league has the option to dock players' salaries for games not played. That's a whole mess in and of itself, but based on how each player is paid, some could have pending paychecks cancelled while others who have already been paid would have to reimburse the NBA. There are a ton of minor things cancelling the league would affect, like statistics and records and things of that nature. The NBA is doing everything in its power to complete the season, thus the "bubble." The bubble's primary purpose is to ensure the completion of the season by preventing players from contracting and spreading coronavirus. The comfort of the players is ancillary.

Players were not required to report to the bubble. Per the union, every player was given the option to opt out of the bubble, and forfeit his salary based on the games missed without fear of being disciplined. Several players opted out and for some of them, it's not a bad decision. Former Thunder/current Indiana Pacer Victor Oladipo opted to sit out. He didn't play at all last year due to an injury and only played 13 games this year. Ihe chance of him getting reinjured after being off for so long is pretty high and it's doubtful he would play in the bubble anyhow. So, it makes sense for him to sit it out and go to rehab instead. For others, the financial hit would be fairly substantial. I think LeBron James is making around $40 million a year, so sitting out 1/3 of the season would financially be fairly substantial.

The biggest problem with the bubble is that it's not a physical bubble. It's being presented as a physical barrier that "once you're in, you're in," but that's not really how it works. Players can come and go -- of course they'll be subject to quarantines and testing (most players are getting tested daily anyway). The tests and quarantines vary in length and number depending on where a player went when outside the bubble, but the weak link in this chain is, people like. Clippers' guard Lou Williams left the bubble to attend a funeral and pictures of him in a strip club surfaced on Instagram the next day. From what I understand, Disney staff working inside the NBA bubble are just regular Disney employees. They clean rooms when people aren't there, but it's a pretty big vulnerability. If every rule was followed to the letter then sure, it would all work -- but people aren't perfect, and three players have already come down with COVID-19 inside the bubble which should have been impossible, so something failed. Again, the bubble is not intended to keep everyone 100% safe -- it's to get the league through the season so that they don't lose their ass financially and also face union renegotiations.

Another problem that I haven't seen discussed all that much is that the current playoffs will stretch into October... which is when the season usually begins. I haven't heard if or how long they plan to delay the 2020-2021 season, but they can't literally start back-to-back. And does that mean the entire next season will also take place in the bubble? I'm sure a lot of the guys in the league were mentally prepared to do this for four months, but I doubt many of them would be interested in doing it for an entire year.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Last night the Brooklyn Nets were the first team to be eliminated in the playoffs after being swept by the Toronto Raptors. The problem is, none of the Nets' superstars (Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, or DeAndre Jordan) were there to play, and three other players (some starters) opted out as well. The players and coach just kind of shrugged their shoulders and didn't seem particularly upset that they got swept. When an NBA franchise isn't remotely upset about being swept during the first round of the playoffs... I don't know if this is working.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Their three guys were healthy right? They just sat out due to COVID? They had just as good a chance as anyone but they didn't want to be there.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Kevin Durant has been hurt all year. There were rumors that he might come back, but he doesn't want to re-injure himself in the bubble. He plans on returning in the 2020-2021 season.

Kyrie Irving opted out of the bubble. In a press statement, he said he plans to focus on "social injustice" during this time.

Nic Claxton had shoulder surgery earlier this year and decided not to go to the bubble.

De'Andre Jordan tested positive for COVID-19 in July and opted out.

Taurean Prince tested positive for COVID-19 and opted out.

Spencer Dinwiddie tested positive for COVID-19 and opted out.

Wilson Chandler opted to stay home with his family.

Of those players, Irving, Jordan, Prince, Dinwiddie, and Chandler have all been in starting lineups this season. Only Claxton and Durant (who hasn't played the entire season) haven't been in the starting lineup.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Oh, so sorry to hear about your OK Sonics troubles.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:53 pm Oh, so sorry to hear about your OK Sonics troubles.
Speaking of which I've been taking some cooking lessons during the pandemic. How do you like your bag of dicks prepared?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:21 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:53 pm Oh, so sorry to hear about your OK Sonics troubles.
Speaking of which I've been taking some cooking lessons during the pandemic. How do you like your bag of dicks prepared?
Dude, Flack ripped your heart right out, bit into it, then waved it in your face.

BRAVO!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM