Duran Duran

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Duran Duran

Post by Jizaboz »

Were any of you guys fans of Duran Duran back in the day? Still fans?

Heard the album from 2019 yet? Kennedy (chick with glasses from MTV now on Fox News) says she's hasn't.. she's missing out if she liked old Duran Duran! At least 3 songs on this album are fucking banging which is more than I think anyone would ask out of them at this point. I didn't sense any sort of auto-tune at all yet the brothers are still hitting the exact same vocals. They sound EXACTLY the same as 198x and that's all I can ask for as that along with the spine-chillingly familiar bass guitar slams filled with random keyboard tones and bullshit.

"Anniversary" and "Invisible" and "All of You" are my favorite songs on this album in that order.

EDIT: I have a crazy Duran Duran vinyl collection btw I payed nothing for I'll gladly share if anyone is interested in pictures.. even a Japanese import or 2.

EDIT 2: Yes. I've had 6 beers but I'm really excited about this album with summer coming up and all lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Re: Duran Duran

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:26 pm Duran Duran
Gaaaaay.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hahaha see? see?! I throw out a band I like that isn't black metal or some obscure Japanese band and all I get is gay.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

We like Duran Duran so much, our birthday is Duran Duran Appreciation Day!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Also, I haven't listened to the new album yet, but I've been happy that I have continued to enjoy some of their singles from over the years. One of the only things I liked about the Trump presidency was that it made dystopian songs like "Paper Gods" especially relevant.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hahaha yeah! Thanks Roody, I knew I wasn't alone here.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

I never liked Duran Duran until I met my wife, who is a big fan, and introduced me to a lot of their music I had never heard before. The years passed, I kept listening, and long story short, I don't like Duran Duran.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:38 pm I never liked Duran Duran until I met my wife, who is a big fan, and introduced me to a lot of their music I had never heard before. The years passed, I kept listening, and long story short, I don't like Duran Duran.
I feel you brother. Had the exact same experience with a girl and The Beatles. Still can't stand the fuggin Beat' ales but I do like the Japanese cover of "and I love her" with no lyrics; instead there is bamboo flute.. and I love it.

I would argue as well if RealNC actually paid attention to lyrics in songs like this:

..RealNC would agree they were swimming in females rather than males. DO DO DO DO DOOOOO
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

This one is for ROODY

Bass guitar just fucking delivering as we get to that sax solo as I "Tell you something I know what yr thinking..."

"You make me feel alive. I'll take my chance because luck is on my side."

"Do do do do do do doooo!"

Also, let us bring back the term "Ice cream smile" coined by either DD, The Cure, both, or neither.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

When you don't hear a word I say..

.. no blame.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:26 pm Were any of you guys fans of Duran Duran back in the day? Still fans?
Thanks for this thread, definitely liked some Duran Duran so this gave me a chance to 1) learn that the band named themselves after the character in Barbarella, I always thought it was the other way around. 2) I can't believe I never saw the video for the #1 best James Bond Opening Song

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

"The fatal sounds.. of broken dreams!"

Fucking excellent song. I remember when the preview for this movie arrived and begging my mom to take me to see it or get it on VHS based on that song.

(Also, funny video heh-heh)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I really liked this group back in the '80s, I thought they did excellent songs: Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, etc. Later I heard Ordinary World, I liked that too. Some of their songs are not quite as good. I think View to a Kill is not quite as good as others they've done. When you have to squeeze a song into a straightjacket of matching the title of a movie, probably has some effect on how the song turns out.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:53 am I really liked this group back in the '80s, I thought they did excellent songs: Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, etc. Later I heard Ordinary World, I liked that too. Some of their songs are not quite as good. I think View to a Kill is not quite as good as others they've done. When you have to squeeze a song into a straightjacket of matching the title of a movie, probably has some effect on how the song turns out.
Yeah View to a Kill is a bit corny, but it does at least sound good.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Pretty looking road I try to hold the rising floods that fill my skin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Happy Duran Duran Appreciation Day, Jiz!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:53 am I really liked this group back in the '80s, I thought they did excellent songs: Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, etc. Later I heard Ordinary World, I liked that too. Some of their songs are not quite as good. I think View to a Kill is not quite as good as others they've done. When you have to squeeze a song into a straightjacket of matching the title of a movie, probably has some effect on how the song turns out.
Worst take in this thread.

View to a Kill is one of the best bond films and Roger Moore's best. You've got Christopher Walken, Bond fucks Grace Jones who was amazing the whole film. It's a loose copy of Goldfinger's caper and checks all the Bond boxes.

Bond is supposed to be about:
- Bond is awesome, unkillable, witty and suave
- cool cars and gadgets
- womanizing
- great supervillain
- lots of action and intrigue
Check, check, check, check, check

Try re-watching and actually enjoying the greatness. Maybe we should do a thread to properly order from best to worst, not Bonds but individual movies.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Roody_Yogurt wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 pm Happy Duran Duran Appreciation Day, Jiz!
Hell yeah brother! Happy Birthday to us!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻