Ring

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Ring

Post by Jizaboz »

I have been viewing your unsecured WiFi webcams all around the world for years.. but now the time had come to buy one of these things for myself. I wanted something I could just go to a local store and buy for less than 180$. Target had 2 Ring “Spot Light” battery-powered security cams in stock. I bought one for $159.99

While I have been thinking of buying one ever since Covid mania hit, almost 2 weeks ago my damn cat ran off and hasn’t come back. He’s been gone almost a week before but ehh. So I set it up un-mounted on the ground and find the cat food thieves; an opossum and a raccoon. WiFi signal was poor.

Today I actually got around to mounting the thing from a wall inside my carport. I’m really impressed with this product so far. I like how the app installed on any and all devices makes a chime sound when it detect motion and starts recording. Excellent video quality and surprisingly it even picks up audio well. Has infrared, a siren you can trigger and 2-way voice.

Another really neat feature I discovered today is the “neighbors” aspect of the app. People working a few miles radius can post things like recordings of attempted robberies. One of the most recent ones was these people up the street from me showing a vehicle that stole their BLM sign. (I wondered why they made one with cardboard and markers later haha)

Lost Pets is also a thing here. Perfect for me, because I do not use Facebook (at all) to make such “local connections”. I saw a recent lost cat post and others saying they had recovered pets, so I figured what the hell. The worst that can happen is the cat is held for ransom lol

Here is my post
Just saw this on Neighbors: https://neighbors.ring.com/n/0nOrAloqzm
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bryanb

Re: Ring

Post by bryanb »

Damn, Jiz, I'm sorry to hear about your cat going missing. I hope he comes back soon. The main thing I don't miss about having a cat is the guilty feeling that comes with either keeping the cat inside all the time (because he looks so depressed looking out the window and never seems to get enough exercise) or letting the cat go outside when he wants (because he's going to get killed or lost or hurt or sick out there). When I was a kid, we had a cat that just vanished one day. I remember riding my bike around looking for him a lot. I think I was still looking for him as long as a year after he went missing, but I never found out what happened...that might have been for the best. Of course I didn't have Ring or the Internet to help me out in my search back then.

Keep us updated, especially if it's good news!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hey thanks man.

I had numerous cats disappear when I lived in the mountains as a kid. Whole litters growing up and moving on or getting killed by rednecks or wildlife. Totally understand your story.. one day a favorite of a litter just disappeared.

This area and this cat is a very different situation though compared to my childhood home in the mountains. I am in more of a suburban environment now. He had vanished for almost a week last year but he has broken a new record x2 already.

This cat is mean as fuck to all creatures but humans.. I hope if/when he does come back that the cat gang didn’t gouge him too bad with fang wounds.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I had my cat Princess for 16 years, starting as a kitten. She was a beautiful calico, we let her go out any time she wanted, never ran away or got lost except once, went out every day, except after the time she didn't come back after about 3 hours. So I went looking.

I found her, after going all the way around the block, she was lying under the next door neighbor's car in the driveway, mewling in pain. Took her to the vet, she'd been hit by a car, her hip was broken but it would heal in about 7 weeks, we had to keep her indoors the whole time.

For six weeks this was no problem. She was clearly in pain when she moved, she'd get up and walk (slowly) a couple feet to her food and water or a foot the other way to her litter box, then go back and lie down.

Until the last week, she's up chipper and about, looking to go out, but the doctor said 7 weeks. You would not believe how fast a 14-year-old cat can run for the front door! Eventually, someone would have to hold her if anyone was going out.

On the 49th day, I knew what would happen. I walked to the front door, and held it open right in front of her, standing out of the way. She made a beeline and out the door! She stayed out for 5 hours before returning. I went to check, and she was, at one point, just sitting on top of our 6' high backyard fence enjoying the sunshine.

When we had taken her to the vet, he said that her hip was dislocated but this is common and a lot of cats have no problem. Apparently it never bothered her.

We had her for two more years until she was hit by a car again and killed.

On the other hand, I had Runner for four months or so, if that. I tried very hard to keep him indoors. He snuck out 5 or 6 times and always came back until the last time when he disappeared.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah cats are gonna do what they are gonna do. While I am still a bit down about missing him around, I’m kinda pissed at him too. He had to be just about one of most spoiled cats in town before he decided to go into lone survivor mode.

He’s used to being around busy roads and would only cross them at like 2-3 am. So I have been more concerned about other hazards.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:21 pm Yeah cats are gonna do what they are gonna do. While I am still a bit down about missing him around, I’m kinda pissed at him too. He had to be just about one of most spoiled cats in town before he decided to go into lone survivor mode.
That's the difference between dogs and cats. You train a dog to learn his/her name, and you call it, the dog comes over, wags its tail, so happy you want to pet it or play with it.

A cat, on the other hand, if you call its name or "Here kitty, kitty, kitty" or otherwise indicate you want the cat to come to you, if the cat is sitting on its haunches, it will turn around, give you a "death glare" of incredulity, as if to say, "What the fuck do you think I am, a dog?"
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

LOL Exactly
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

The one amusing thing Finsternis ever said, because he was just retelling it, was "A dog thinks, 'They give me a place to live, they pet me, they feed me... They must be God!' and a cat thinks, 'They give me a place to live, they pet me, they feed me... I must be God!'"
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.