Surfin USA

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Surfin USA

Post by AArdvark »

Hey Jiz, we're going to Nags Head in August. What fun stuff is there to do?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:46 pm Hey Jiz, we're going to Nags Head in August. What fun stuff is there to do?
Damn bro, that's a hard one. We went to this beach a few times in the mid to late 1980s. On those 2 or 3 trips we took, we also checked out the outer banks area. Kitty Hawk / Kill Devil Hills out there was actually kinda cool if anything for the scenery and history I remember. But even then, the crowding was getting crazy at peak times. Want to go to McDonalds? You could forget it even back then! The coolest thing I remember about Nag's Head was a pier which is either not there anymore or has been completely rebuilt after a hurricane. It had a HUGE bar/arcade/pinball/pool table area and one of the longest piers on the east coast.

I gather you don't surf, but the surfing, boogie-boarding, etc out there is usually really good for intermediate ocean swimmers (ie; you can deal with rough surf and riptides) from about 10 AM to 2 PM so long as you know how not to drown in undertows (or are still leashed to something floating). While my area (Morehead City) is basically known as the fishing city of NC, Nagshead is right up there with it, especially with pier fishing at night during the summer. Nothing like a night of peace and quiet, waiting, potted meat sandwiches, and beers. Fees to fish there are cheap and they even rent rod and reels with the tackle set right at a good price.

If yr not much of a fisherman or not getting much luck, I would say seek out a food joint that mostly serves fresh but fried seafood. Places with full bars, fish tacos, and lots of grilled and fancy options most likely will rip you the fuck off. Check out local google reviews of course. If you are paying 15-20$ for a plate of flounder/shrimp, a batch of oysters, etc and it tastes fantastic then you made the right decision.

BTW What part of August you going? I most likely will be around here and then in the mountains the week of the 10th but other than that I'm open if you wanna meet out somewhere between there and Morehead.

P.S. Oh and this will sound stupid but get a kite! It's windy as fuck towards the outer banks and flying kites out there is actually quite a bit of fun. Some guys even started "kite boarding" out there years back and it got popular out here. I would still like to try it one day..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Pretend we're old fuddy-duddies that enjoy breweries, distilleries and early dinners. And museums and historical places. I looked at the websites and all the 'official' visitors guide stuff, i was wondering if there's cool stuff they dont mention

THE
SHARK BEACH
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:52 pm Pretend we're old fuddy-duddies that enjoy breweries, distilleries and early dinners. And museums and historical places. I looked at the websites and all the 'official' visitors guide stuff, i was wondering if there's cool stuff they dont mention

THE
SHARK BEACH
AARDVARK
Haha OK yeah again, Kill Devil Hills / Wrights Bros memorial shit is cool for the museum and historical place thing. If someone doesn't like getting stinged by sand or walking in sand for an awesome view then don't bother with the Hills. The view from the memorial hill (concrete/grassy) is pretty cool too. There were wrecked ships on those shores you can look upon and piracy to think about. Both are like 10-15 minutes from Nagshead I want to say. Can't vouch for food there as I haven't been in years but try to stick to shrimp, fish (flounder is popular but most expensive) and oysters, blue shell crab as I would at most NC coastal places. Bluefish, mullet, snapper, and even spots are wonderful if fresh and much less expensive.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Time to go back! Headed out to the trailer park tomorrow. Planning on buying a kayak Tuesday if the local Walmart out there has what I’m looking for. Mainly making sure nothing is damaged; and/or what needs to be maintained on my trailer this trip but hope to squeeze some fun in.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Everything is in good shape out here! Way too much wind to even mess with a kayak this week. Focusing on re-stocking things and general repairs, as is generally how it goes first time round each year. Going fishing in the morning, then power-drilling a bunch of screws before heading back and hitting the fish market and Japanese market on the way.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:21 pm Other than finding some random lizard shit and a can of Sunkist soda on the floor that had rusted or burst and grew mold, everything is in order.
Sittin' in your car outside your house (outside your house)
Remember when you spilled Coke all over your blouse?
- The Beach Boys, All Summer Long
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Going to pick up my season pass at the local waterpark tomorrow afternoon via a voucher bought with BTC before it dropped! If I'm not surfing or kayaking by the trailer then I wanna SLIDE 15 minutes from my house ALL summer bwahahaha!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

But, all those stairs. My knees hurt thinking about it

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:03 am But, all those stairs. My knees hurt thinking about it
Good point! Walking up the stairs to this one is uncomfortable in more ways than one lol:

That white slide in the middle is up 83 feet high! My knees have been in relatively good shape though (considering the knots below the knee-cap face different directions) so long as I stay off skateboards and get plenty of walking and less sitting. But yeeaaah. Most likely there will be some FlexAll ointment in my future.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Glad I did the early activation thing today. It was kind of neat driving up there and parking in the parking lot in a "zombie state"; nothing open, hardly anyone there. But despite the fact there were only 6 people in front of me (there were only 2 lines).. man oh man did they hold things up best they could asking stupid questions and giving history on how they didn't understand shit in the past. Luckily for me, I overheard the answer to any stupid question I may have had (such the detail of you can't use friend passes the day of season pass activation) and it went flawless. Handed the girl with my phone with voucher brought up on it.. she zoomed in on the barcode, scanned it, told me to look into a camera (which I smiled into like a moron thinking this pic would be printed on the pass) and boom done in under 5 minutes.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Today is opening weekend at that waterpark. It’s in the low 90s today so.. headed there in half an hour!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:02 am Today is opening weekend at that waterpark. It’s in the low 90s today so.. headed there in half an hour!
You lucked out! After an entire week in the 90s, our high today is 66. Looking forward to getting a bunch of outside projects done.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:57 am
Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:02 am Today is opening weekend at that waterpark. It’s in the low 90s today so.. headed there in half an hour!
You lucked out! After an entire week in the 90s, our high today is 66. Looking forward to getting a bunch of outside projects done.
Dang! Yeah, cooler weather does make for better yard work conditions.

Pretty sore today and had to take a nap but it was great day yesterday. Legs not so much as my neck.. all that looking down slides while getting sloshed around does that! Did the huge daredevil drop slide twice and for the first time rode one of those tube slides you see coming off of it in the picture above. Started out slow while you look at the little dots of daylight above you in the pitch black slide.. then those dots turn into a fucking streak as you reach ludicrous speed about halfway down lol. I plan on going back soon.. might even just pop in myself for 1-2 hours on a weekday (I only get 2 free "buddy pass"s) just to do the big slides and take a dip in the pirate bay.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Lookin ok! (So long as I pass out soon and get to the beach in a few hours) finishing off Budweiser 7 as I watch some Baywatch on my tiny Roku TV lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Stayed up a little too late but didn't drink too much. Woke up at 9 am, looked at the live cam and it didn't look promising. Went out there at 11:30am for the hell of it and talked to a couple of the locals. I'd missed the ridable stuff by about an hour.. but I hadn't missed much. "Yo dawg. I heard you like inaccurate weather reports. So we put an inaccurate weather report in your inaccurate surf report". Looks like Thursday will be good but for whom? Looked like today the only people with any luck were kids (being short and light is a HUGE advantage sometimes for these kids) with shortboards and I saw a few tourists with rental boards get the hell beat out of them by the shore break trying to even get out there in contrast lol. With a fun shape board, I don't even need big waves I just need them to break far out and push consistent. Figure I'll just drive the 10 minutes to the beach tomorrow, the next day, Thur, whatever and take what I can get.

I used to get really bummed when I had trip planned out here back when I had to schedule vacations way in advance and there weren't any waves to surf. Now I just look at it as another nice day at the beach.. and not just because the lift on the thong bikini ban being lifted a few years ago provides even better scenery (heh-heh). Just being there and talking with surfers I've never seen or seen many times to swap stories and predictions with is pretty cool. It's not really proper to talk to people "on the line" (ie; floating out in the ocean in the place that's good to catch waves), especially to people you don't know or females (hitting on a girl with her ass roasting while she's floating on a board will never bring a good result, but don't be afraid to smile back if yr that lucky) aside from the really enthusiastic local kid that convinced me and some 20 year looking dudes to paddle under the pier last year lol. I've had windsurfers just straight up snub me trying to talk to them out there. But on the beach itself, most surfers who aren't completely out of their element totally want to shoot the shit or talk shit before we go out or when we get back.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Returned to the waterpark today! Could only sneak in a couple hours due to my friend I was meeting needing sleep (he works there as 3rd shift security) and me needing to get back to work. It was worth it though.

Rode the new Bombs Away slide finally (it was broken last time) and holy shit man..

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Back to the waterpark tomorrow with a couple of pals!
Next week, more surfing and fishing!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Not as sore today as I expected despite walking up 5 stories of stairs to the Daredevil drop 4 times and 4 stories to the Twin Twisters near them twice (!!) as well as many other shorter stair climbs. Blue Bombs Away slide was down but rode the red one 3 times.

Also, the official Twitter for the local waterpark re-tweeted my share of this dude's video!

Props to Emerald Pointe for not being afraid to retweet someone with a screen name like me (heh-heh)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

What's better, water slides or roller coasters, and why?

Show your work.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.