It's time for us all to buy a Beetle

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's time for us all to buy a Beetle

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I will be starting an indiegogo campaign so that the rest of you can buy me a Beetle. Not one of the new ones, because those are fully-functional cars. I want the car that everyone in the world has told me NOT to buy.

The original. The 70s-era Beetle.

Like this:

This is how this thread is going to work.

1) When I start the indiegogo campaign, you're all going to give me money for a Beetle.

2) Someone is going to go onto craigslist and list their Beetle. (Not one of you guys.)

3) I take the money that you all gave me... ALL of you... and I buy the Beetle. I drive it home, so it needs to have a clean title and be able for me to drive it home.

4) At no point do you try to talk me out of owning a Beetle.

Friends, my questions are: how much will you pledge and do you also want a Beetle? I have an operating range of 0.5 miles. I definitely need two cars and a motorcycle.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The question is...why would you want one? Unless you get teh Rolls Royce front end conversion.

Does it get cold in Colorado? I ask because the air cooled engines of the old beetles took forever to warm the interior. I know they used to have these hair dryer looking things that you plugged into the cigarette lighter and defrosted the windows. Not exclusively for beetles but just, you know, in general. (Harbor Freight 14.99. Just did a search)

THE
BRRRRR
AARDVARK

[youtube]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbGaqSJZrE[/youtube]

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I would edit that Youtube link so it works but........

Flack

Post by Flack »

I will help fund this because there is no better writer than ICJ when he's mad about something and, boy, will you be mad all the time driving an old Beetle around.

My parents have a great story about driving a Beetle to Chicago from Oklahoma back around the time I was born. It was in the middle of winter and the cold air was blowing into the cabin through the holes in the dash. The heater on theirs was just a blower that blew the heat off the engine (in the rear). At one point my mom moved into the backseat to be closer to the heat. My dad hit a bump, my mom bounced, and the battery (which is underneath the rear seat) sparked and caught the back seat on fire. The car burned and the ended up abandoning it somewhere in Missouri.

Oh my god, I can't wait to fund this.

For the record, I owned and drove this as my primary means of transportation for a short period of time in the 90s.

As you can see it had no doors or windows or top. I bought it just before the winter, so I got a good deal on it. I also kept a plastic bowl in the floorboard so when it snowed I could scoop the snow out of the driver's seat. It looked fun to drive but was not fun. It ran shitty in cold temperatures and overheated in hot temperatures. It was almost a relief when it got stolen.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ok ICJ, I found a really good one for $3,500.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4707242061.html

Check out the second picture. It's a picture looking out the window from inside the car. What a great marketing ploy! Three pictures are of what you are buying and one picture is what it would look like if you already owned this thing!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm in for $50.