The thread where we count Robb's fatal motorcycle accidents

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

The thread where we count Robb's fatal motorcycle accidents

Post by pinback »

It's Friday and he's been completely absent from all forms of communication, so I'm going to go with:

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I will go slightly more positive and just hope it is broken down somewhere in the Denver mountains and he is having to push it back to civilization.

I hope he is not in Gank. Terrible internet connect there, I hear.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote:I will go slightly more positive and just hope it is broken down somewhere in the Denver mountains and he is having to push it back to civilization.

I hope he is not in Gank. Terrible internet connect there, I hear.
And he's probably out of bitcoins!!!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Hmm. He just posted on the sports base. I guess I'll update the number:

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He's having way too much fun to bother with stuff like internet.

THE
REAL LIFE
AARDVARK

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Or life.

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's not the Robb I know, but hey, if it's true?

God bless that man.

(And gimme ops.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I dropped it for the first time the other day.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Yikes! Were you moving? "Dropped" to me sounds like you were not moving. I hope that's the case and that you and the bike are okay.

I have only "dropped" one of my bikes once. I had just bought my Honda Shadow and was showing it to a friend at work. I never, ever start a bike unless I am sitting on it, but that day I made an exception. I walked over to it, stood it up, and started it while standing on the left side. It must have still been in gear because it lurched forward and started leaning to the right, away from me. I pulled with all my strength but it was too heavy and it ended up laying over on its side, very gently as my friend watched.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

How bad is the damage?

THE
OUCHIE
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:Yikes! Were you moving? "Dropped" to me sounds like you were not moving. I hope that's the case and that you and the bike are okay.
I really was not trying to get people to ask, I just posted that and saw that I was late getting ready for work.

I had a day at work last week where I was so pissed off that I wanted to punch someone in the face. My girl took the energy level down a little when we spoke for a bit on the phone before I left, but in the time it took for me to get the helmet, I was fired up again.

I had to turn right to go north to get on the street that would take me home. I was about to go and saw a guy in a Jeep also going north waaay too quickly. Because I was mad, I was going to dart in front of him. Fuck that guy! But because I was sane, after gunning it, I realized he'd possibly hit me, so I stomped the rear break.

That combination of events caused the thing to fall downwards. I wasn't moving when it went down. I was standing, but had enough momentum transfered to me that I walked about 10 steps into the sidewalk. Fuck!

I picked it up and it started on the second try. It fell on the right side.
How bad is the damage?
Not too bad. The right mirror was out of adjustment, but I was able to correct that. Now that I know what it feels like, I should be better. But also... I know that if I am not mentally ready to get on that thing -- centered and at peace -- I shouldn't be on it. I was going to drive it like a car because I was angry. The bike basically said, "I wouldn't like you when you're angry."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Anger leads to fear
fear leads to hate
hate leads to medical bills and repair charges

Flack

Post by Flack »

I forgot, I had one other bike fall over. Back in '93 or '94 I was going to college and living in a mobile home. I didn't have a garage or a carport or much of anything else to my name. Late one night "tornadic winds" came through the trailer park because, duh, it's a trailer park. The whole trailer was a rockin' and not for a good reason. There was no time to go anywhere and nothing to do except lay down, hang on and try not to shit ourselves. After the winds passed we went outside and my motorcycle was about 10 feet from where I had parked it. It was a Honda Sabre that I think I had paid $500 for and after that, it was worth less. The clutch handle was bent like a letter "C" and the windshield was in a million pieces. I never did find another windshield for it. I ended up trading that bike for a Fender Telecaster a fear years later and I always felt like I got the better deal.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:Anger leads to fear
fear leads to hate
Yeah, I am at the point now where I need a bunch of items for the bike.

I could use:

Two tires. $300?
A new battery. $100?
Two new grips. $70?

I feel I need to start selling arcade games to finance the bike.

Flack

Post by Flack »

What I found was that "regular" bikes have pretty cheap accessories and sport bikes have expensive accessories. On my Honda Shadow, I got a battery for $49. (This has been years ago.) On my Yamaha R1, it was $149. On my Honda Shadow, I got a set of tires for around $150. On my R1, the rear tire cost me $300.

It's been so long since I bought parts that your prices are probably spot on and the R1 costs have doubled.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:What I found was that "regular" bikes have pretty cheap accessories and sport bikes have expensive accessories.
That statement works whether you're referring to motorcycles as "bikes" or plain bicycles as same. It also seems to apply to power wheelchairs as well.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Yeah, I am at the point now where I need a bunch of items for the bike.
Serious question: for you, is owning a bike any different than owning a set of arcade cabinets? I'm imagining that both are money sinks and only exist to impart an intended experience as opposed to a truly functional role.

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

AArdvark wrote:Anger leads to fear
fear leads to hate
"Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness
And cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty just like me..."
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That was a great album!

THE
INFINITE ZERO
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Yeah, I am at the point now where I need a bunch of items for the bike.
Serious question: for you, is owning a bike any different than owning a set of arcade cabinets? I'm imagining that both are money sinks and only exist to impart an intended experience as opposed to a truly functional role.
The motorcycle hasn't cost me too much money so far. It's actually saved me some -- by legitimately taking it to work on average once or twice a week, that's a lot less gas burned. If Flack's numbers prove correct, I can get a new battery and tires for less than two hundred bucks. Not bad at all.

As for the arcade games, well, I truly believe every arcade game I have offers the superior version of said game. It's more that the hobby as a whole is a ridiculous money pit than any one game.

Perhaps I am fooling myself. Perhaps.....................