Advertisement relationships.

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Advertisement relationships.

Post by pinback »

I was going to mention how most ads now, if there's a couple, it's a mixed-race couple. Then I just (30 seconds ago) saw a Credit Karma ad where the couple was a black and white dude in bed.

It's such pandering horseshit, I can't believe it. If you offer a service, I am going to, in good faith, assume you also offer the service to jungle fever homos. If you have to spend part of your 30 seconds to prove it to me, then you're both insulting me, as well as making sure none of the redneck bigoted assholes that make up 40% of this country ever use your service.

It was a bad call, Ripley. It was a bad call.
Last edited by pinback on Sun May 16, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: Advertisement relationships.

Post by AArdvark »

Everyone wants to be woke now, it makes the suits at big business sleep better at night. I never even noticed the Cheerios ad until it was pointed out to me online.

THE
APATHETIC
AARDVARK

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

I gotta agree that even as a liberal I sometimes find the level of Political Correctness the shouty people seem to expect can be excessive. Someone on another site sternly warned me that another user as gender-whatever and wanted to be referred to as "they". I said "ok if we get to pick whatever pronoun we want to be called by, I pick "her majesty" or "my lady, I expect everyone here to start calling me that and you will get on the case of anyone who doesn't." But they said no and I'm like "oh so you are only tolerant and respectful of the other classes and not us royalty eh?" For some reason they got mad. tee hee.
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Being in a mixed race relationship i'll say that my bi-racial wife used to appreciate it when it was once in a while but now doesn't notice or care, for whatever that's worth in the conversation. Also interesting thread started by a guy who grabbed his daughter from the Chinese.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

That's a good point. If Pinback's family was in one of these commercials, it would cause Pinback to go SIIIIIIGH. Oh well. All criticism is autobiographical.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Pinback is not trying to separate you from your money using any means possible. That's what's annoying, the blatant pandering of the advertising people. It's not like they mean it or it would have happened many years before this.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm I was going to mention how most ads now, if there's a couple, it's a mixed-race couple. Then I just (30 seconds ago) saw a Credit Karma ad where the couple was a black and white dude in bed.
Now that gay marriage has been legal in this country for six years, I think it's perfectly reasonable to show same-sex couples, and even mixed-races ones. As a notary public, I once took a home loan refinancing application from two men whose actions of care and concern for each other perfectly matched a heterosexual couple. One was white, and the other was black.

I heard similar comments (without the racial undertones) about an ad campaign probably thirty years ago where American Express was offering dual signature traveler's checks, in which you and the person you're traveling with (husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend) could sign the back and either of you could use them instead of having to split them and have some issued to one partner and some issued to the other. What irritated some people is how American Express put ads for them in gay-related publications and gay-oriented newspapers (like the Washington Blade) and showed male couples in the ads.
pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm It's such pandering horseshit, I can't believe it. If you offer a service, I am going to, in good faith, assume you also offer the service to jungle fever homos.
That's about as an unthinking and nasty comment as if I were to say that "your comment was the kind I'd expect from an alcoholic who used deception to hide his drinking from his wife."

One of the ways that it can be inferred as to an organization's compliance with anti-discrimination laws is how people are pictured in its ads. One real estate company got in trouble over its tendency to prefer white buyers over non-white ones. In their newspaper ads, all the photos of happy couples were while, while support staff (like gardeners) at the apartment complex were almost always shown as black. No black or mixed-race customer couples were shown in their ads.
pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm If you have to spend part of your 30 seconds to prove it to me, then you're both insulting me, as well as making sure none of the redneck bigoted assholes that make up 40% of this country ever use your service.
Well, if those "redneck bigoted assholes" would rather pay for a service from some other company that Credit Karma offers for free, then they're probably too stupid to manage their money anyway, and Credit Karma doesn't need to handle the credit checks from your West Virginia trailer-trash crystal meth smoking ass and your first-cousin underage baby mama.
pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm It was a bad call, Ripley. It was a bad call.
If that's a quote from one of the Alien franchise movies, I don't recognize it.
Last edited by Tdarcos on Wed May 19, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm not responding to that garbage.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:48 pm I'm not responding to that garbage.
Well, that's your stupid opinion. Companies that show they are open and inclusive do better in hard times.

Back in the 1960s, when there were race riots in Washington, D.C. many stores and store chains got attacked, damaged and sometimes looted. One store chain that escaped this was Giant Food, a chain that treated black customers with the same courtesy as whites and hired black people to work in their stores. While they were mad at white-oriented society that treated them as subhuman, Giant had treated people of color with the same respect as they did with white people.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You don't understand my point, and you never will, and yes it was an Aliens reference, and no, you don't recognize it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I think we all get your point, SIR. And it's that Ripley was homophobic.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

AArdvark wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:13 pm Pinback is not trying to separate you from your money using any means possible. That's what's annoying, the blatant pandering of the advertising people. It's not like they mean it or it would have happened many years before this.
My all time favorite absurd advertising is "Love. It's what makes a Suabaru a Subaru." I mean, are you FUCKING SERIOUS? Because, yeah, when I think of giant megacorporations and tons of metal moving a high speeds, that's what I think of... LOVE. I mean, I'm sure that some factory worker at the Subaru factory is thinking very lovingly about the person who will drive that car. I'm sure the CEO who is making more money in one minute than most people will make in their lives... is thinking of me, personally, with LOVE. I wanna barf every time i see those commercials. I wanna throw things at the screen. Or both at the same time.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:45 pm Now that gay marriage has been legal in this country for six years, I think it's perfectly reasonable to show same-sex couples, and even mixed-races ones.
It absolutely is perfectly reasonable and just fine. What is annoying to me is that they feel they have to.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm It's such pandering horseshit, I can't believe it. If you offer a service, I am going to, in good faith, assume you also offer the service to jungle fever homos. If you have to spend part of your 30 seconds to prove it to me, then you're both insulting me
I totally agree with you dude. Preach it.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

pinback wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 pm You don't understand my point, and you never will, and yes it was an Aliens reference, and no, you don't recognize it.
I believe it was when Paul Reiser was apologizing to Ripley about having trapped her in the med bay so she or Newt would get implanted by the Alien.

pinback

Post by pinback »

odyssia76 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:23 pm
pinback wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm It's such pandering horseshit, I can't believe it. If you offer a service, I am going to, in good faith, assume you also offer the service to jungle fever homos. If you have to spend part of your 30 seconds to prove it to me, then you're both insulting me
I totally agree with you dude. Preach it.
Thank you. It's rare that anyone here agrees with me. One of my other passions is Scotch whisky. Do you have any opinions on that?

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

pinback wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:46 pm Thank you. It's rare that anyone here agrees with me. One of my other passions is Scotch whisky. Do you have any opinions on that?
Well I buy American whiskeys for myself but scotch is not too bad in a pinch - I mean, if you're buyin' LOL!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

odyssia76 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:19 pmMy all time favorite absurd advertising is "Love. It's what makes a Suabaru a Subaru."
Well, I "love" that I've had to take my leased Subaru to the dealer several times not for planned maintenance. I do love that I get to give this thing back in just over a year. Not on topic but opportunity to rant.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I like how popular media pushes that everything and everyone is racist and we should be angry or ashamed yet the advertising agencies have this unity reality shit completely figured out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Casual Observer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 pm
odyssia76 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:19 pmMy all time favorite absurd advertising is "Love. It's what makes a Suabaru a Subaru."
Well, I "love" that I've had to take my leased Subaru to the dealer several times not for planned maintenance. I do love that I get to give this thing back in just over a year. Not on topic but opportunity to rant.
That's what you get for listening to those goddamn Swedes!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!