I have yet to take my motorcycle out this year

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have yet to take my motorcycle out this year

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

No real reason. It does need a tune up - the clutch lever is sticking - but I just couldn't get into it this year. :/
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: I have yet to take my motorcycle out this year

Post by pinback »

Well, we all knew that Robb was going to abandon his.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ben is a funny guy!

I was having the same problem last year, Just too easy NOT to ride. I fixed it this year though. I ride everywhere now. Wanna know how I solved it?

I got rid of the car. Seriously, we went down to one car and it simplified everything.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The only problem with my bike is that it doesn't have any saddlebags, so I can't really carry anything. It's good if I need to go someplace, but not good if I need to go someplace and pick something up.

There are a lot of financial reasons to own and ride a motorcycle -- cheaper than cars, cheaper on insurance, better gas mileage, better parking -- but even if none of those things were true, I'd still own and ride one. And even if nobody knew I had one or ever saw me on it, I'd still ride. There's just something about riding that's fun and enjoyable.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I support ICJ's decision to abandon riding, motorcyclists are jerks who endanger everyone around them.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I challenge you, my friend - I want to hear a story in your life where the motorcyclist was the hero - not the villain.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

You're going to have to settle for a bicycle story because that's the closest thing I've got to personal experience. I was in high school at the time and I was doing about 10 over in a residential when I turned a corner and saw a cop holding a radar gun standing in a karate horse stance off the side of the road. He was standing next to a bicycle, his bicycle. He began to fiercely slice the air with his hand towards me like flight deck crews use to launch jets, I start staring at him and my brain completely shuts off, none of it made any sense, things started moving in slow motion.

I didn't think about running, I wouldn't have tried it even if I thought I could have gotten away with it, which I couldn't (the radio, cameras, actual cop cars staged for people trying to run, etc). I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Being in a car and getting completely dominated by a person on a bicycle and a cop car in that area would have been just as effective and impossible to spot? The programming of pulling over and submitting to flashing lights was absent so maybe it was that? I don't know?

Anyway all of that happened in about a millionth of a second because the next thing he did was leap in front of my car to blow a whistle really hard and shoot his hand out in a signal to stop, I punched the brakes and was lectured about my speed. I'm pretty sure he let me off with a warning and I was more careful with my speed from there on out.

SAR teams use motorcycles and they're about as badass hero as you can get, but they also use every other mode of transportation depending on the situation and environment.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Not all motorcyclists ate jerks. Its just the few that ruin it for the rest of us.

Never done a wheelie, never even tried. Never went more than 10 over the limit amd never cut in and out of traffic.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm Not all motorcyclists ate jerks. Its just the few that ruin it for the rest of us.
All motorcyclists in California are jerks. Lane splitting being legal here is the worst thing that could ever happen to motorcyclist<-->auto motorist relationships. These fuckers don't just lane split when the traffic is stopped (which is the given reason for the allowance) but they lane split when traffic is moving at highway speed. It's super annoying to have to keep watching my rear view mirror for these fuckers speeding past me on my right when I'm already going 10MPH over the speed limit. The other issue is at stop lights: they like to pull up through traffic to the front and then turn left in front of me. I'm keen to get a Tesla just so I can just beat these fuckers off the line.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I agree all lane splitters are jerks, but not all motorcycle riders lane split. It's not legal here, and even if it were I wouldn't do it. If someone doesn't hit you on purpose, they're liable to hit you on accident. My goal when on two wheels is to stay further away from cars, not closer. Don't let those old biker flicks fool you. In case of a tie, car always wins.

Right or wrong, I feel like if you want to be treated like other vehicles, act like it. It's the same problem I have with bicyclists. If they want their own lane then fine, but stop at red lights like the rest of us, or prepare to kiss grill.
AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm Never done a wheelie, never even tried. Never went more than 10 over the limit amd never cut in and out of traffic.
I did more than one unintentional wheelie on the R1, which is partly why I got rid of it. The one time I decided to find out what that thing's top end was, I hit around 155mph, and I quit before the bike did. I hit 100mph every single day on the way to work, which is the other reason I got rid of it. Riding that bike was super fun. Selling it was super responsible.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pmNot all motorcyclists ate jerks.
All motorcyclists are inherently jerks. Even the ones that don't actively try to wrap themselves around telephone poles just to cause huge pileups in the process or drive like complete assholes like CO observed still create massive amounts of noise pollution, it's like a competition among all motorcyclists for who can get the most obnoxious sounding bike.

They can't even resist the urge to ruin other peoples' peace and quiet even when they're at home working on their bikes. Normal people wrench on their cars and you might hear the occasional ting of a wrench hitting the floor, but motorcycle maintenance is composed entirely of revving the bike at full rpm for 4 hours straight and it usually requires complete darkness to perform so it's usually done at night.

Even the hypothetical "responsible" biker forces everyone to completely change their driving patterns because you don't want to accidentally tap one going 1 mile an hour and spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter. So you see a motorcycle and it is like traffic kryptonite and you do everything to avoid and stay as far away from it as possible regardless of how much it inconveniences you and every other motorist.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I guess that settles it.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Billy Mays wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:32 pm
AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pmNot all motorcyclists ate jerks.
All motorcyclists are inherently jerks. Even the ones that don't actively try to wrap themselves around telephone poles just to cause huge pileups in the process or drive like complete assholes like CO observed still create massive amounts of noise pollution, it's like a competition among all motorcyclists for who can get the most obnoxious sounding bike.

They can't even resist the urge to ruin other peoples' peace and quiet even when they're at home working on their bikes. Normal people wrench on their cars and you might hear the occasional ting of a wrench hitting the floor, but motorcycle maintenance is composed entirely of revving the bike at full rpm for 4 hours straight and it usually requires complete darkness to perform so it's usually done at night.

Even the hypothetical "responsible" biker forces everyone to completely change their driving patterns because you don't want to accidentally tap one going 1 mile an hour and spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter. So you see a motorcycle and it is like traffic kryptonite and you do everything to avoid and stay as far away from it as possible regardless of how much it inconveniences you and every other motorist.
Dude again.. with all due respect.. fuck you, Billy Mays.

My father drag raced Harleys in NHRA and won often. Not one day was he rev'ing engines for hours at our house. Just 2-5 minutes is all it takes to check idle and all.

The problem at all isn't motorcyclists, it just goes back to most other things: People today are fucking morons and assholes for the most part. I mean really, watch "The Wild One" (1953). Brando's gang fucking killed a guy but they weren't 1/4 as annoying and uncool as a lot of these younger people on bikes today.

Also, I could pop wheelies all the way up to 3rd gear on my XR-350 but doing it on a public road is fucking stupid.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm All motorcyclists in California are jerks. Lane splitting being legal here is the worst thing that could ever happen to motorcyclist<-->auto motorist relationships. These fuckers don't just lane split when the traffic is stopped (which is the given reason for the allowance) but they lane split when traffic is moving at highway speed.
This seems like hell. I personally don't see any benefit in lane splitting at stop lights, other than I would get to cut people, which, welp. I would not enjoy a motorcyclist BRRRRAAAAPing by me at highway speeds. OK, we've come to an agreement here. As a community, we're against lane splitting?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:32 pm Even the hypothetical "responsible" biker forces everyone to completely change their driving patterns because you don't want to accidentally tap one going 1 mile an hour and spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter.
This is a lovely world, but I would submit to you that it is not the world we live in. Unfortunately. I wish that it was. Maybe things have changed in the last 12 months (see thread title) but I rode my motorcycle every day last summer and you realize why the Ghost Rider has a bike and head that is on fire - everyone else on the road already thinks that we're ghosts.

The Ghost Rider should also be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I wonder if they got the rights back for him?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jiz, anecdotal evidence.

ICJ, bike people are the problem here, bike people are always the problem.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am Jiz, anecdotal evidence.

ICJ, bike people are the problem here, bike people are always the problem.
Waitasec. When challenged for a story where the motorcycle guy was the problem, you came up with a story of a guy on a bicycle who was the problem. You can't throw an "anecdotal evidence" charge at Jiz and try to put that on his forum record while you are Garbage Daying bicycles!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 amWaitasec. When challenged for a story where the motorcycle guy was the problem,
The challenge was a story where the motorcycle guy was a hero.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 amyou came up with a story of a guy on a bicycle who was the problem.
I was the problem in that story, bicycle cops risk their lives everyday keeping our roadways safe for travel.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 amYou can't throw an "anecdotal evidence" charge at Jiz and try to put that on his forum record while you are Garbage Daying bicycles!
It wasn't a charge, the evidence he provided was anecdotal. I can't even believe this is up for debate given all of the data regarding motorcycle safety, it's a vastly inferior way of travelling.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Golf is hitting a ball with a tool totally inferior for the job yet gigillions of Japaneses men play it like their lives depended on it.

Motorcycles are not an inferior way to travel, they are a fun-er way. Know the difference. People don't ride them for safety, they ride them because they are fun.

THE
FUN IS THE
BEST THING
TO HAVE
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Maybe all those guys sitting in their garages with their engines running weren't doing tune ups. Maybe the sweet, sweet sleep brought on by carbon monoxide was preferable to another thread ruined by Billy.