I have yet to take my motorcycle out this year

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Billy Mays

Re: I have yet to take my motorcycle out this year

Post by Billy Mays »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pmPeople don't ride them for safety, they ride them because they are fun.
And this is what makes motorcyclists jerks, their willingness to place their own amusement over the lives of everyone else around them who also have to use those same roads.

Also, I'm not sure how the golf analogy fits into this conversation because the golf club is the ideal tool to hit a golf ball and because golf is not fun.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Billy Mays wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 pmAnd this is what makes motorcyclists jerks, their willingness to place their own amusement over the lives of everyone else around them who also have to use those same roads.
I've seen quite a few retarded posts in my time. While it's not the most retarded one, it ranks up there. Top 5.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Flack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 pmI hit 100mph every single day on the way to work
Quite the coincidence, i hit 100 almost every time i drive on a freeway outside of rush hour. California freeways have 2 speeds, either under 20 or over 80. I didn't even know my sorry ass car could do 100 but it actually can hit 115 with a slight downhill.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Someone's being g a grumpy gus.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RealNC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 pmretarded
It's not ok to use that word.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Retarded
n!33r
Fuck-stick
Filippe J. Suckmonger!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:58 am
RealNC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 pmretarded
It's not ok to use that word.
Let's go back to "cretin" a corruption of the Swiss word for Christian, which was to remind you these sub-human genetic failures were "still at least people, you guys."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

If phhPbbphb changes it to something else I'm all in

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:29 am
Flack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 pmI hit 100mph every single day on the way to work
Quite the coincidence, i hit 100 almost every time i drive on a freeway outside of rush hour. California freeways have 2 speeds, either under 20 or over 80. I didn't even know my sorry ass car could do 100 but it actually can hit 115 with a slight downhill.
Yeah. Speed limit on the turnpike I take to work is 70mph and everybody does 80 by default, so 100's not a huge leap. Especially on that bike, it wasn't. Come up behind a slow asshole in the left lane, flick the throttle, and the digital speedometer would jump from two digits to three digits in the blink of an eye. Let go of the throttle and it would go back down just as quickly.

I don't remember hitting 100mph in my first car (a '79 Mustang), but I remember setting out to do it in my second car, a '79 Formula Firebird. (Cops love a kid with a mullet in a black Firebird with a hood scoop and the word FORMULA written down the door.) I did it on Sara Road -- much too busy now, but back then was essentially a 4-mile road with 0 traffic on it. As the orange needle approached triple-digits the car began to shake, like an airplane coming in for a crash landing. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd left a trail a nuts, bolts, and piss down the road behind me.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Da King drove my brother and I at 105 in Hilton, NY in his Nissan Sentra, if I remember correctly. I think that is the fastest I've ever gone in a car.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:56 pm Da King drove my brother and I at 105 in Hilton, NY in his Nissan Sentra, if I remember correctly. I think that is the fastest I've ever gone in a car.
You have an STI and never broke 105? Sad.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I do not now, nor have I ever possessed an STI, nor an STi, which is the proper word.

I just Mister Spocked your ass!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Prior to owning my Subaru, the fastest I had ever driven was 120+ in, believe it or not, a '95 Dodge Neon.

That Neon was the first new car I ever owned. I think it was the first car I ever bought that didn't already have 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. I bought it in the fall of '95 and paid full sticker price. Four months later, I moved to Spokane, Washington, and took the Neon with me. The winters were so harsh there that I had studded tires put on the Neon, which, much to the chagrin of everyone, I never removed. The following summer, you could hear me pull up from the little clickity-clackity sound the metal studs made on dry pavement.

The thing about that Neon was that it was really quick. Before owning one, I just thought they were cheap little kid cars. It was quick off the line, though. I always used to imagine that somehow at the factory they had messed up and put a race car engine in just mine.

In the spring of '98, my wife and I moved back to Oklahoma. My wife rode with my dad in a rental truck (towing her car) while I drove my Neon back to Oklahoma. We had passed through Idaho and had just entered Montana when I saw a speed limit sign that said "Reasonable and Prudent". No speed limit!! Coming out of the mountains, I pushed the pedal to the floor to see what that Neon would really do. The needle quickly jumped to 100, and kept going. The speedometer only went to 120, but the needle went past that and buried itself around where the 130 mark should have been. Within a few seconds I decided that was probably beyond reasonable and prudent and I quickly took my foot out of it.

My first three cars were a 5.0 Mustang, a Formula Firebird, and a Buick Regal with turbo, and hands down that Neon would have whipped all of them. Of all the cars I've owned, that Neon was probably the second fastest, behind the STI.

Fast forward a few years. Now I own a Chevy truck that is governed at 98mph, hah.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, I had two Neons. They were great cars for the kind of guys that we were back then, making what we made, commuting the distance we needed to commute (more on this in a second). Oh, don't get me wrong. It would have been EFFORTLESS for Chrysler to give a shit about them and instill in them the kind of quality that the Nissan Sentra and the Honda Accord had. And in the end, the treatment I got from them regarding the head gasket had me swear off Chrysler for the rest of my life. But for the first 80,000 miles they were great.

I live in the middle of a city now and I have a commute of about a mile, so I don't get a lot of opportunity to take the new WRX up to 100 mph. There is this huge contingent and voting bloc in Denver of people involved in the fruit stand industry that have instituted these huge fines. It's a mess. Additionally, the thought of going to traffic court for any reason if I do get caught could have been the plot to Doom II: Hell on Earth.

I will start a new thread on the commuting thing.