Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - A review

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - A review

Post by pinback »

What a load of hot, wet garbage.

I am PRO-TREK. I go into it all hoping for the best. I went into this even more hopeful than usual, because it was gonna get back to the roots, man. Maybe people can actually start trekking amongst the stars and having cool adventures again instead of a bunch of overblown, poorly-written personal drama.

Hot, wet garbage.

I'm starting to think that Wrath of Khan was actually the only good Trek thing that ever existed, and it was so good that we accidentally think that everything connected to it must be okay.

GARBAGE.

So angry. How can you take the coolest spaceship of all time and keep ruining it like this.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - A review

Post by Casual Observer »

I have to rewatch the first one b/c the wife thinks Anson Mount is hot.

"A Piece of the Action" was the best Trek ever, wish Tarringtino had got to make his Trek movie

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

pinback wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:22 pm What a load of hot, wet garbage.

I am PRO-TREK. I go into it all hoping for the best. I went into this even more hopeful than usual, because it was gonna get back to the roots, man. Maybe people can actually start trekking amongst the stars and having cool adventures again instead of a bunch of overblown, poorly-written personal drama.

Hot, wet garbage.

I'm starting to think that Wrath of Khan was actually the only good Trek thing that ever existed, and it was so good that we accidentally think that everything connected to it must be okay.

GARBAGE.

So angry. How can you take the coolest spaceship of all time and keep ruining it like this.
How's it going paying for Paramount+ for that crap?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Sounds more like a LAME new world AMIRITE?! Ahahahaha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I really wanted this to be good. I don't know how you possibly screw it up, to where I probably gotta see for myself.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Well, at least Star Trek Picard and Discovery are great. Oh wait, they're shit too. Never mind.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I thought Strange New Worlds episode 1 was fine!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Most people did.

I'm the problem here.

(Also Kathy, who enjoys Discovery and Picard and also thought it sucked.)

We're the problem here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The guy has Spock's voice down.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Everything I had been watching *except* for Picard - Better Call Saul, Boba Fett, Mando, SNW - had taken place in time periods where later stuff already happened. I was getting a little sick of it. Picard then went back in time and now I am pretty sick of it. I don't feel dumb when I don't recognize some detail from 10-55 years before, I feel emboldened that I don't have TV memorized. WTF is this for?

They are doing a great job with Better Call Saul, but still. GETTEN A LI'L SICK.

So I guess the SNW writers totally fooled us by having Kirk's brother on the show and not Kirk? Fuckers, you cast Bentleybear Crumblesnatch as Khan, said it wasn't Khan and had him be Khan. Shut the fuck up, you're not tricking people and you're not clever. If the thumbnail shows one gal and you click on it and some other starlet is in the video you don't keep watching. That's what the filth behind these shows did to us. I give a fuck about Kirk's brother, Christ. The siblings in any Star Trek show are dogshit.

Dogshit!

I'll watch the second episode though. But cretins run Star Trek now.

pinback

Post by pinback »

BCS is so good, it's the same people who are obviously at least 10 years older and nobody cares.

This wasn't the topic, but it's hard to take anything else on TV seriously right now.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah I'm actually watching Saul season 6 episode 1 now. I missed this show and really enjoy it. Never did get around to seeing much of Seasons 1-3 but I'm under the impression I'm not missing much story wise.

But like I've been ribbed for saying before; I couldn't get into Breaking Bad. Go figure!

Edit: Haha Saul just played the racist card at the country club that tried to kick him out mid-tour claiming they don't allow Jewish people! ROFL I haven't heard a joke on that since Redneck Zombies.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm The guy has Spock's voice down.
Also, best Spock sideburns ever. It's like an ear <--> sideburn ying yang.

He's the best spock yet, spockier than Nimoy. He's likeable but just snotty enough, great chemistry with Anson Mount.

In fact this thread is one of Pinbacks worst takes ever. This show is a perfect retake on TOS. Back to episodic storytelling, check. What better captain for a remake of what was originally conceived as a space western than the Hell on Wheels guy. He's fun and likeable like Kirk combined with just enough Picard pompousness.

All characters are likeable, none of the over emphasis on LGBTQI or long weird story arcs like Discovery. None of the catty constant sniping dialogue like Enterprise. Uhuras good, really like the new blind chief engineer, number one is a badass and Kahn's granddaughter is hot. Nurse chappel is great fun and the medical officer is good and likeable.

This is what the coolest ship ever did to stop a genocide (nerd alert, you know how much power it takes the Enterprise to do this? These bulging headded people don't even know it can't even run the Phasers right now or the transporters or shields. Their plasma torpedos would take it down. Scotty would shoot himself). That's some Piece of the Action level gangster shit in the first episode. This ain't Encounter at Fairpoint bullshit, it's fun.

This is what Star Trek started out as.

pinback

Post by pinback »

A rare miss from CO.

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 am A rare miss from CO.
Sad. Pinback is one of those drunks who is more of a miserable piece of shit when he drinks less. You've just gotten worse the last few years. You should start hiding beers again you miserable piece of shit.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Casual Observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 am
Sad. Pinback is one of those drunks who is more of a miserable piece of shit when he drinks less. You've just gotten worse the last few years. You should start hiding beers again you miserable piece of shit.
A shitty reply to a witty reply.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Strange New Worlds is driving us apart!

Casual Observer

RealNC wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:54 am
Casual Observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 am
A shitty reply to a witty reply.
the problem in this thread is Pinner doesn't like Star Trek, he said so at the top of the thread, which isn't something to be ashamed of. Wrath of Kahn is a Star Trek movie designed to be palatable to people who don't like Star Trek. He should be ashamed to think that anyone gives a shit what he thinks about the topic.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Casual Observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am the problem in this thread is Pinner doesn't like Star Trek, he said so at the top of the thread, which isn't something to be ashamed of. Wrath of Kahn is a Star Trek movie designed to be palatable to people who don't like Star Trek. He should be ashamed to think that anyone gives a shit what he thinks about the topic.
But his replies are funny. Your replies are even worse then this Docker log filled with build errors I'm currently looking at and wishing someone would shoot me in the head. That's what you're competing with. And losing.

Casual Observer

RealNC wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:33 am
Casual Observer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am the problem in this thread is Pinner doesn't like Star Trek, he said so at the top of the thread, which isn't something to be ashamed of. Wrath of Kahn is a Star Trek movie designed to be palatable to people who don't like Star Trek. He should be ashamed to think that anyone gives a shit what he thinks about the topic.
But his replies are funny. Your replies are even worse then this Docker log filled with build errors I'm currently looking at and wishing someone would shoot me in the head. That's what you're competing with. And losing.
Hey, if I could compete with the king of cynical asshole quips instead of making a thoughtful post defending a good show I would try. Pinners the ultimate JC troll, he wins