The Worst Advertising Trend In History

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

The Worst Advertising Trend In History

Post by pinback »

I hate this so much, I will actively avoid any company who puts ads out that do this. I call it:

USING NOUNS AS VERBS.

I don't know when this started. The first time I heard it, was some goddamn millennial complaining "I can't adult today!"

Instead of these people being locked up for ten consecutive life sentences, they gave them all marketing jobs. Now Chipotle will tell you about "a whole new way to guacamole, a whole new way to Chipotle."

There was another, equally horrendous example yesterday, but I forget who it was for. Once I remember, I'll make sure never to buy any of their products.

Post your examples here, and what manner of death you think these people deserve.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: The Worst Advertising Trend In History

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

ESPN started doing that shit too. Kind of similar. Maybe not? Still maddening? Look, I'll take getting called a fucktard if it's close but not the same.

"Drew Brees is out with a lung."

SO GODDAMN MORONIC. He was out with a collapsed lung.

This is the golden age of television, but look at this shit.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/cand ... -language/

I hate these people.
Great article. Nancy, if you see this in your logs, you did great. There's only one part missing, which is how we can eliminate these people from our society.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pm ESPN started doing that shit too. Kind of similar. Maybe not? Still maddening? Look, I'll take getting called a fucktard if it's close but not the same.

That's different, but we're taking all complaints here.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I absolutely cannot stand this trend.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pm ESPN started doing that shit too. Kind of similar. Maybe not? Still maddening? Look, I'll take getting called a fucktard if it's close but not the same.

That's different, but we're taking all complaints here.
First tv thread in the site's history and I fuck it up! I fucked it up!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

After reading the article It makes me wonder if people hated Shakespeare for doing that shit. I would have. Does that mean Shakespeare was a hipster douchbag? I think the trend is idiotic even if the language is evolving, it could certainly evolve in a better direction.

THE
KINGS ENGLISH
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:33 pm After reading the article It makes me wonder if people hated Shakespeare for doing that shit. I would have. Does that mean Shakespeare was a hipster douchbag? I think the trend is idiotic even if the language is evolving, it could certainly evolve in a better direction.

THE
KINGS ENGLISH
AARDVARK
Thank you for saying this. The more this dystopian future goes on.. I wonder how many more piss on Shakespeare.

10 year ago a man at a Gwar show beer bar spoke words and I said “hell yeah!” only later for him to remind me it was Shakespeare.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm USING NOUNS AS VERBS.... these people [deserve] being locked up for ten consecutive life sentences,
So, I guess you feel these people have committed... word crimes? So, you think they shouldn't verb that way? Let me ask you this, is it wrong for me to use the word "verb" as one?
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pmESPN started doing that ... fucktard... how [can we] eliminate these people from our society[?]
What would you suggest? The iron maiden? Guillotine?
That's another one. The term "guillotine" is a noun, after its inventor, Monseur Guillotine of France. Would it be wrong to say a person executed using it was "guillotined"? "Beheaded" might not be precise enough; a botched hanging can decapitate someone, and cutting their head off with a sword would behead them too.
Is it wrong to ask someone who used a knife on someone, "why did you knife them?"
Can we use the Gas Chamber (not yours, Flack!) on people who verb nouns? Can we say its fair when someone uses a noun as a verb, that we are going to use lethal gas in order to gas them?
Jizaboz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:37 pm I absolutely cannot stand this
What? The word "stand" as in "lemonade stand" is a noun. Why are you using that noun as a verb? I really can't allow you to shit on the language in the very same way as you are complaining. Oh, wait, "shit" is a noun. Now you've got me doing it!
AArdvark wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:33 pm I think the trend is idiotic even if the language is evolving, it could certainly evolve in a better direction.
Okay, well how about the reverse, nouning of verbs? I suspect "evolve" has been used as the name of a product or service, turning it into a noun. Is nouning a verb also a crime? If so, is it as bad as verbing a noun? If verbing a noun is a felony word crime, what is nouning a verb considered to be, say, just a misdemeanor?
Jizaboz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:37 pm I absolutely cannot stand this
Neither could Sir Elton John; he wrote a song "I can't stand it" to say so.

Oh wait, it's "I'm still standing." Never mind, ignore this song.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ok here's cynical for ya, this commercial actually pisses me off. Not just because it's annoying but because Cascade thinks they're being clever and environmental not just trying to sell more soap. I don't give a rats ass about saving water. Here in Washington we have more water than we know what to do with. Shatner was right we should sell this shit to California. Plus, I live in an apartment complex where everyone pays the same no matter how much we actually use. I don't even know what it costs, what, $30 a month?

Now there's a second commercial, this one by a dishwasher company which is way more preachy so I hate it even more

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Have to ask about the commercial's target audience. Is it for young environmentalists? Tragically white Yuppies? No, its for old people that believe they are still relevant.