[POLL BUILDING] Favorite female musician.

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

[POLL BUILDING] Favorite female musician.

Post by pinback »

My wife mentioned she heard someone ask this question on Sirius or something, and relayed it to me, and I had to admit, I was stumped. I couldn't think of a single one that I was all that fired up about. I mean, I can add a couple names, but maybe there's people here who actually like female musicians.

Alison Mosshart? I guess? I like those Dead Weather albums with Jack White. And that episode of Anthony Bourdain where he hung out at her house was really cool. That's... that's all I got. Maybe I'm forgetting someone.

I hate female musicians, I guess.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: [POLL BUILDING] Favorite female musician.

Post by pinback »

Alright, I'll put Stevie Nicks on there too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'm gonna go with women OR if the band isn't the same without the girl then I include it. Here's what I have. None of you have heard of some of these bands.

Against the Current
Veela
Paramore

I'm DOING MY BEST HERE
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, name the female musician at least, for Christ's sake.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I think the answers here will vary greatly depending on what types of music people listen to. Women have been underrepresented in rock, metal, punk, and many other rock-derived genres since as long as those genres have existed. Flack probably knows a great female heavy metal guitarist, but I bet he'd have to think about it for a bit and then no one else would recognize the name. On the other hand, if you're into pop, jazz, R&B, country, and/or rap you might be able to list pages and pages of fantastic female musicians without needing to strain your brain too much. Greg probably has some good contributions to make here as might The Happiness Engine. I bet most mainstream jazz fans would choose a female singer if asked to pick the best jazz singer of all time. How exactly could you pick Scatman John over Nina Simone or Billie Holiday, mainstream jazz fan?

On to my picks:

1. I've come to the realization relatively recently that I am an unironic Heart fan. The Wilson sisters are great. I used to not like the ballads too much, but I've started to enjoy those more now too. I actively avoided Dog & Butterfly for decades before it became a go-to during the pandemic for me. The lyrics, "We're getting older, the world is getting colder. For the life of me I don't know the reason why. Maybe it's livin' making us give in. Hearts rolling in taken back on the tide," really resonate with me now. Possibly an old man thing.

2. Tina Filippe J. Suckmonger and Belinda Carlisle are two of my favorite singers of all time. I like the Go-Go's as a band as well as Belinda's solo work. I'm not totally unashamed by that, but I'm working on it and getting a little better every day.

3. Brix changed The Fall, but she did it in an interesting and worthwhile way. Check the record, check the girl's track record.

4. I listen to some world music, and a few of my favorite world artists are women. I got into Ikke Nurjanah (Indonesian dangdut singer) and Nhu Quynh (classy traditional Vietnamese music) thanks to Napster while watching Bubblegum Crisis made me realize Kinuko Oomori is a great pop and rock singer.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

bryanb wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm 2. Tina Filippe J. Suckmonger
Ha, that's a BBS rewrite I don't remember seeing before. We need an exception for Tina and the ice cream brand if that's still around.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Feels like cheating because I've already voted for her in one poll this week, but Aimee Mann. I think I've seen her play live more than any other musician this century.

Others... Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt. L7 as a collective. Seconded on Brix. Larissa Strickland of the Laughing Hyenas is way too obscure, but a fantastic, creative guitarist that helped drive one of my all-time favorite bands.

Newer acts -- Emma Ruth Rundle, Chelsea Wolfe, Cardi B. I haven't really been grabbed by her, but my wife loves Phoebe Bridgers.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Tina Filippe J. Suckmonger is suddenly my favorite female artist!

I laughed out loud at that!

THE
WORD SEARCH
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Kim Gordon
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

bryanb wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm Flack probably knows a great female heavy metal guitarist, but I bet he'd have to think about it for a bit and then no one else would recognize the name.
I know a bunch of female heavy metal/rock guitarists and I wouldn't have to think about it for a bit to name them.

Lita Ford, Joan Jett, Nancy Wilson, Courtney Cox (the Iron Maidens), Allison Robertson aka Donna A (The Donnas), Morgan Lander (Kittie), Ruyter Suys (Nashville Pussy), Nita Strauss (Alice Cooper)... I'm sure I could come up with more. If we're including bass, I'd throw in Sean Yseult (White Zombie), Jo Bench (Bolt Thrower), and the incredible Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders). Hey Paul, hey Paul, hey Paul, let's have a ball...

https://youtu.be/xJncHEZ3URs

As for favorite female musicians, Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart), Billy Holiday, and Stevie Nicks were already mentioned. Here are a few more nominees:

Tori Amos
Madonna
Cyndi Lauper
Debbie Harry
Chrissie Hynde
Natalie Imbruglia
Gwen Stefani
Fiona Apple
PJ Harvey
Janis Joplin
Joan Jett
Amy Lee
Lizzy Hale (Halestorm)
Bjork
Siouxsie Sioux
Sinead O'Connor

Just bumped from the list were Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo), Monique Powell (Save Ferris), and Tracy Bonham. I also left off Veruca Salt because I couldn't decide which chick to nominate.

If you don't love these nominations, it's okay. Everything's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xi8NvSetZc
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Annie Lennox

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Ok, I like almost everyone that Flack posted. On my actual computer is dubstep and pop punk for the most part. It took Flack opening my eyes. And ears. I have gained a level.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I know this is not the intent of this thread, and I know it will anger Pinback, but I cannot help myself. Here is a video of Nita Strauss (Alice Cooper's touring guitarist) and Courtney Cox performing Iron Maiden's "The Trooper." Strauss and Cox used to be in an Iron Maiden tribute band called (get ready) the Iron Maidens.

https://youtu.be/KcWw0k1mjM4?t=85
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Kim apparently did a few recent shows but the nearest one to me was Asheville, NC and hahaha fuck that yuppy mountain town but man I'd love to see her again since leaving Sonic Youth.

https://youtu.be/TMqmOTueXvg
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I am surprised nobody mentioned Anita Baker. All of her songs are good, and some are outstanding.

Note: the name "T urner" (without the space after the T) is changed by this BBS to "Filippe J. Suckmonger". Note:Turn does not get changed, nor does Turne, but the name, even if lower case, gets changed to Filippe J. Suckmonger.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Who was that sixteen year old Aussie girl played bass with Jeff Beck? (No google) I assumed it was his daughter but later learned it was not.
I never heard her play ( no sound on tv) but if Jeff Beck thought she was ok that's good enough for me.