THE TERP PROJECT

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

THE TERP PROJECT

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

In this thread, I create easy-to-get packages for the various interpreters for all my games. Which is not the way it is now.

So let's start here:

http://www.joltcountry.com/games

I am confident in saying that the initial games page is fine. Which I can say because I didn't make that, I paid a friend of mine to make that page. But BEYOND that, there is trouble.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Bob Ross' Joy of Painting

Post by Bob Ross' Joy of Painting »

The is a good idea.

I would like to see the version number of each game listed on both the main page that lists all of the games, and the pages with the individual games. This way people who already have your games can verify that they have the most recent versions.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks, Bob. I can do that.

I think the first candidate for this is A Crimson Spring. I am going to take a look around and play through the game, fix any bugs I find and get the three downloads with the three terps out there. I also hate the fact that I put the title screen in Atari 2600 style as in the 16 years since I made the game that's been done to death by other game makers and this game has zero nostalgia towards the 2600.

I could paint, in Photoshop, a lot of the art to make it look better, but if I am going to spend that time I should just make a new game. Hell, maybe I should make a new game anyway. At any rate, my goal for the weekend is to have ONE game ready for The Terp Project.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Also I suggest you make the new terp in Python.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Bob Ross' Joy of Painting

Post by Bob Ross' Joy of Painting »

As far as the cover art goes, I honestly believe that Necrotic Drift has the best cover artwork I have ever seen in an IF game. I also believe that Cryptozookeeper (Both the cover art on the IFDB, and your new site), Revenger (the totally based cover artwork as seen on the IFDB, not the one on your new site), and No Time To Squeal all exhibit industry leading cover art of the highest degree.

I agree that the cover art could be "tweaked" a little bit on the other games.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I forgot if I've brought this up before, but if not, I've wanted to ask if it was intentional that the "A Crimson Spring" source on the IF Archive was incomplete. I'm not looking at it now, but I want to say there are things like exits to nonexistant rooms and such.

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

I should probably yank that. The way I was coding in 2000 shouldn't be emulated by anybody.

Rare Amiibos Scalper

I drink neet tears.

Post by Rare Amiibos Scalper »

ICJ wrote:I should probably yank that.
That may just end up making it the Holy Grail of Robb Sherwin games?

Ice Cream Jonsey

The source code. Not the game.

Rare Amiibos Scalper

All my friends are fish

Post by Rare Amiibos Scalper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:The source code. Not the game.
Did you really have to come down so hard on my favorite fake account?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Also I suggest you make the new terp in Python.
Seriously? Come on, if you wanted to make an interpreter for a language accessible on the largest number of current systems, either Java (if it's to run as an App or in a browser) or Javascript (if it can run locally in a browser).

Other than that I would say C or (excuse me while I lean over and puke) C++.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I think the first candidate for this is A Crimson Spring.
I decided that before I do that, I am going to have the art redone.

I wanted to hire a penciller and/or inker of comics from the 70s or 80s. I have some idea of where to find them, but not really. The thought of someone who drew Daredevil or whatever when I was a kid working on my stuff was intriguing.

That will cost money, though not too much as you always hear about old comic book talent still needing or looking for work. So perhaps a 2017 thing.