Use of MantisBT in working on The Libraian

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Use of MantisBT in working on The Libraian

Post by Tdarcos »

Because I'm trying to add features and remember things to fix in The Librarian, I decided to look for some TODO file or tracking program. As it turned out, I had previously installed WAMPServer on my computer so I'd have PHP and MySQL available for a different project, so, given I already had it, I decided to look for something that I could use, as opposed to, say, just keeping a document. Using some sort of todo, tickler, or tracking program would allow me to classify things.

I went onto Sourceforge, looking for a todo or scheduler, filter for "Programming Language=PHP" (so I can run it conveniently in a web browser) and found a number of programs, in some cases 50 or more. After about 10, I found 7 or 8 of them wouldn't work because they hadn't been updated in years and PHP has changed in Version 7 to add more features and deprecate some functions, like the each() function.

There was a Todo program which worked, but simply had title and description. No notes, no date, no other info, and no way to edit or delete an item. Seriously? I'd have more functionality with a word processor.

I also found a program called rukovoditel which seems interesting, but seems a bit complex; it might be a bit more like a full-blown Customer Relations Manager or project manager. (The description page on Sourceforge in fact says it's a CRM.) I might want to go back to it later.

Then I considered Bug Tracking programs. So I found one, MantisBT. i set up a database. Installer worked perfectly, and when I brought it up, i'm able to add a few types of classes of item reports, related to what the report is for: function to be added, equipment, scenery, etc. and tags (appearance, feature, bug fix, etc.) And, once I close a ticket, it drops off the list (but I can still come back to it.)

So, if you feel like trying to figure out all the things you need to do with handling the development of a text adventure might be overwhelming, and a simple document isn't enough, MantisBT might be useful. If you have web hosting you could install it there, or if you happen to have a webserver running on your own computer for practice, I'd recommend it.

Plus it's free and open source, which is nice.

pinback

Re: Use of MantisBT in working on The Libraian

Post by pinback »

Or just use Trello.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Asana, asana.com might also work for you, Commander.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Or Redmine, https://www.redmine.org/.

Or any of the dozens of other online bug tracking systems that don't require you install or host or maintain anything.

Ice Cream Jonsey

There's one in Logo now I think Commander.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Have you considered Bugzilla??

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:14 pm Or just use Trello.
Thank you for the suggestion, but Trello is a closed source, hosted application. I wanted something I could run locally so I don't have to be certain I'm on-line. So I never thought of looking on Google, however, when I looked up Trello, the first three hits after ads were for recommendations for alternatives better than Trello.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:23 pm Asana, asana.com might also work for you, Commander.
It's also a commercial hosted service but offers a 30-day free trial of the entire suite they offer before it converts to a reduced, free edition. Nothing wrong with that, except this represents three potential problems: 1. I might use some features and get used to them then discover they are premium (paid) features. 2. Is my data easily exportable or do I risk it being siloed in an app I can't extract from? 3. If i am using the premium features and get past 30 days, can I get my data back?

These sort of issues are why I prefer using open source alternatives when possible; there's no opportunity for "vendor lock-in." Also I like to see how different web apps present what they do. Some, like TodoYu-php7-x have a nice interface, but others, on the other hand, can be stunningly beautiful.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:07 pm
pinback wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:14 pm Or just use Trello.
Thank you for the suggestion, but Trello is a closed source, hosted application. I wanted something I could run locally so I don't have to be certain I'm on-line. So I never thought of looking on Google, however, when I looked up Trello, the first three hits after ads were for recommendations for alternatives better than Trello.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:23 pm Asana, asana.com might also work for you, Commander.
It's also a commercial hosted service but offers a 30-day free trial of the entire suite they offer before it converts to a reduced, free edition. Nothing wrong with that, except this represents three potential problems: 1. I might use some features and get used to them then discover they are premium (paid) features. 2. Is my data easily exportable or do I risk it being siloed in an app I can't extract from? 3. If i am using the premium features and get past 30 days, can I get my data back?

These sort of issues are why I prefer using open source alternatives when possible; there's no opportunity for "vendor lock-in." Also I like to see how different web apps present what they do. Watching a program take the information you gave it for database and admin login, and professionally install themselves flawlessly, can be amazing. Some, like TodoYu-php7-x have a nice interface, but others, on the other hand, can be stunningly beautiful.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

How many items you got on that bug list, Paul?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 am How many items you got on that bug list, Paul?
Right now, until I know what II will ultimately be using, less than 10. I'm not going to retype hundreds or potentially a thousand or more items. Fo each app I test - local or hosted - I'll pick a couple of small items to see if I like how the application "tastes," what are the fit, finish, and data entry like.

Eventually I'm going to choose what eems best and put everything in, all the ideas, every feature, every story line, how they tie to each other (like the mortuary story ties in to needing a coffin, the player taking a shower when he gets up is tied to a towel, brushing his teeth ties into a toothbrush, etc.

A bug tracking application sounded about right but I'm open to anything that would allow me to collect items about a project and dependencies, etc.

But until I find what I'm looking for i will keep looking. there are about 5 or 6 more applications i can try, as well as looking at the other items suggested here. If I don't find something better I'll stay with MantisBT.

In fact, since looking at a hosted solution was suggested, I'll look at a hosted scheduling system as well. I like the idea of hosting it myself, the small application I'm writing to solve the other problem probably doesn't justify hosting a website locally, but getting my feet wet trying some other apps does. But if I find a hosted solution that works better than satisfactorily, I'll use it.

Originally, I had half a mind to use Hugo itself to implement something but its file handling capabilities are woefully deficient. That's not what it's designed for.