Blithe Spirit (2020)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Blithe Spirit (2020)

Post by Flack »

Ever since Elvira (his first wife) passed away, author Charles Condomine has struggled with writer's block. Unable to find a new muse, everything from his income to his relationship to his new wife, Ruth, has begin to suffer. When the two of them attend a theatrical performance by a medium, Charles hires the psychic to put him in touch with his dead wife. Not only is she reunited with Charles, but soon he realizes she won't leave, creating one of the funniest and most unique love triangles I have ever seen on film.

Turns out, Elvira was more than Charles' muse -- she was actually writing the books! Now Charles needs Elvira to finish his latest project. Ruth wants Elvira gone, but without her, there'll be no new book and the money will try up. And poor dead Elvira wants Ruth gone so she can have Charles all to herself -- whether that means killing Ruth, or Charles!

I believe this movie started life as a play and has been made into a movie multiple times (in the 40s and 50s), but this was the first version I'd seen of it and I thought it was pretty great.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."